Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:31 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times

Advertisements

Has anyone every dealt with Avery Air Conditioning? Any recommendations for a new system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
Before you go that direction, are you sure you don't have a home warranty in place?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:04 AM

29 posts, read 120,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Before you go that direction, are you sure you don't have a home warranty in place?

Speaking of home warranties....do you recommend any specific policy?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:44 AM

Default No warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Ours was not a new home, and so no warranty that way. We did have a home shield warranty for about seven years, but canceled it last year after the premiums went up again, though we rarely used it. Besides, the warranty only covered a burned compressor, and busted coils, none of which is the problem now.

One time the solenoid switch went out on it, and the AC guy who came to fix it gave us some advice... he said that the warranty company we had would not fix our AC if the compressor went out because the air intake was not large enough for the AC tonnage. The solenoid work he was doing was covered, BTW, he was just "talking". There is calculation based on the size of the AC unit, and ours was not size properly. No mention anywhere in our warranty about that, so they use that loop hole to get of paying out on burned compressors and use that excuse. The AC repairman just was letting us know what he's had to deal with... it was nice of him to tip us off this bear-trap practice of the warranty company.

I ended up having to install my own extra air intake on the other side of the house so that I had the proper amount of square inches per tonnage.

Anyway... our AC works, but it is circa 1995, and we know it is not efficient and want to replace it. Last year's bills were very high, as most of you know.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
Try Angie's List if you need recommendations in your area. You can find a coupon online for to waive the fee to join so you just pay like $8 for a 1 month subscription. Well worth it imo for the time and potential trouble it saves.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Look for a high SEER R-410A based system since they are phasing out the old R-22 freon. Runs at least as cold (if not colder) and makes quite a difference in electric bills.

You're right about those home warranties -- mine was terrible and they will bring the cheapest guys to put whatever rig-job bandaids on it to keep it going.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:12 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,467 times
Don't forget that the state has a rebate going on in April for high efficiency AC units (google state of texas rebate).

Old 04-05-2010, 12:47 PM

201 posts, read 914,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Look for a high SEER R-410A based system since they are phasing out the old R-22 freon. Runs at least as cold (if not colder) and makes quite a difference in electric bills.
There are reasons to buy an R-410A system if you're putting in a new system, but coldness isn't one of them. The performance for R-22 and R-410A are about equal at lower temps, but then R-22 does better as the temperatures get higher. However, the difference isn't huge, and I wouldn't buy an R-22 unit now because who knows how much the freon will cost in a few years when you eventually will need it recharged.

Also, R-410A is also a higher pressure system compared to R-22, meaning that it may be more prone to leaks than an R-22 system. Only time will tell, but it's easier to seal a lower pressure than a higher pressure.

You may get lower electric bills from a new system, but I wouldn't attribute it to R-410A.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
All home warranty companies are not created equal. Old Republic is the best as to customer service and not trying to slide out of the responsibility - but also the highest - about $500 a year - and it does cover compressor, permit, removal, crane, etc. for AC. Their web site is www.orhp.com

There is a $450 plan but it doesn't cover the extras on the AC. If I had a AC less than 5 years old - I wouldn't worry - but mine is 15 years old.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:52 AM

Default No kidding...

Ours was AHS (American Home Shield). If you have them, run. They had to replace a fan in our kitchen once, a nice Hunter fan with lights. The guy came out with a cheap $15.00 fan, plain white, with no lights and was as thick as a bottle of Budweiser. Fortunately, I was not home, and my wife dealt with the poor repair man, he said that is what AHS wanted done, since it was a "like" product. When asked 'where is the light', he said "your kitchen has lights, most people don't use it"! I called and made them give me the cash instead.

Then once our stove's timer went out, granted it was not a new stove, but rather than replace the stove, AHS said they were going to pay us the money instead because they could not locate the part. One call to the place on Westpark and I found it!

They had to come out three times to fix our clothes washer, never fixed it, they again gave us cash since they came out three times, after 3 times, they won't work on it again.

But, they were good with clogged drains, refilling the AC with freon and fixing our diswasher, but that's about it in eight years.

Oh.. one more thing that I recall, they had to replace the sink disposal... we had a big Kenmore unit that was insulated, and you could not hear it. You guessed it, they gave us a cheap no name brand, loud and said it was a "like" product.

After the lawsuit filed against them (which proved to us we were right about their practices), we fired them. We did not use $500 a year in warranty work, that is what we paid them the last year we had them. Imagine, we started out a $275 per year.

Oh well, I will call Avery Air Conditioning systems... I think there is a rebate going on from the government, and they are "only charging for the cost of the unit".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston