Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:21 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,999,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
I don't know which one my favorite is. At first I thought it was the giant leaps of computer technology and chip design from the 1960s. Then I thought it was the aeronautical safety expansions for the airline industry. That really isn't favorite.

I do like cordless power tools, those are kind of neat. I also like satellite technology developed for NASA that is used in my daily telecommunications, as well as the fact I can now watch TV from around the world. Then I thought it was the massive amount of safety from fires from smoke detectors, but I haven't had a fire, so I ruled that one out.

Next I thought about water filtration systems that have been used around the world and in developing countries to provide clean water for millions, because I like a tall glass of water like any guy, but I ruled that one out because I can buy it bottled and I don't care about filtering dirty water like they do in developing nations.

I also wore glasses for years, and the fact that I could have lenses that were strong and didn't scratch was kind of cool, but then I thought how that technology was also used for advanced laser systems that help develop faster computer chips, so my glasses seemed kind of boring in comparison.

Then I heard about all these people that like mass transporation, so I thought I like the new solar rail propulsion systems that NASA has been developing, but then I remembered that I really like my car so I don't care too much about rail systems for millions of people...and speaking of solar powered solutions...that's a bunch of hippy stuff, so I don't like solar power that NASA was critical in developing.

Then I thought that I like huge aircraft carriers and submarines, so I really liked the nuclear propulsion systems that NASA had a hand in making, but since that's naval and NASA is aeronautical, I figured it would be dumb in mentioning that.

I also appreciate the NASA constructed and delivered weather systems we have that predict little things like hurricanes and such, especially since I live on the gulf coast, but I've only been hit by three hurricanes in my life, so it hasn't disrupted it THAT much.

So the hundreds of thousands of other things just took too much time to go dig up and mention, so I guess it comes down to my favorite thing developed by/for NASA is probably Tang, and from my perspective that makes the whole program worth it.
great list. very glass half full.

I took up Electronic and Communications Engineering (high tech stuff for earthlings), I guess none of the text books respect the claims of NASA. 'helped develop', 'used by NASA astronauts', 'contracted by NASA' and the likes all mean 'did not invent'. It also means if NASA's purpose was to study the ocean or invent a new type of automotive engine/car they would also need the help of these contractors/private companies so OUTERSPACE has very little to do with the little "inventions".

whats this giant leap in technology in 1960s? anyway, that was MIT, not NASA.
well if you actually use power tools you know only recently that they are somewhat decent in performance. in any case its more for wimpy jobs. if you really want to be productive you'll have to use the standard corded or compressed air tools. check out what Milwaulkee, Bosch, Dewalt, Hitachi have given to the world of tools
when it comes to radar/vhf technology, those were invented during the wars, and for the cold war. COMSAT and INTELSAT already existed in the early 60s providing global communications.
research the other stuff and you'll learn something new i guess. water filtration has so many types - i doubt NASA invented those. smoke detectors hmm i bet their version is not up to code anymore LOL

my favorite is the chrome blankets they give out to runners. it destroys every picture taken from that event
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 11:49 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,547,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
great list. very glass half full.

I took up Electronic and Communications Engineering (high tech stuff for earthlings), I guess none of the text books respect the claims of NASA. 'helped develop', 'used by NASA astronauts', 'contracted by NASA' and the likes all mean 'did not invent'. It also means if NASA's purpose was to study the ocean or invent a new type of automotive engine/car they would also need the help of these contractors/private companies so OUTERSPACE has very little to do with the little "inventions".

whats this giant leap in technology in 1960s? anyway, that was MIT, not NASA.
well if you actually use power tools you know only recently that they are somewhat decent in performance. in any case its more for wimpy jobs. if you really want to be productive you'll have to use the standard corded or compressed air tools. check out what Milwaulkee, Bosch, Dewalt, Hitachi have given to the world of tools
when it comes to radar/vhf technology, those were invented during the wars, and for the cold war. COMSAT and INTELSAT already existed in the early 60s providing global communications.
research the other stuff and you'll learn something new i guess. water filtration has so many types - i doubt NASA invented those. smoke detectors hmm i bet their version is not up to code anymore LOL

my favorite is the chrome blankets they give out to runners. it destroys every picture taken from that event
Lol.....btw, were they really close to developing 'Star Wars'? Or was it something concocted by Ronnie.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Lol.....btw, were they really close to developing 'Star Wars'? Or was it something concocted by Ronnie.
I dont think NASA has anything to do with that but also I dont think anything good came out it but great movies of our time like space cowboys, eraser, etc

Old 03-30-2010, 09:12 AM

here's a good start for NASA
NASA to aid regulators in Toyota probe - Mar. 30, 2010

Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,257 times
If useless than why are others countries trying to get there too?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,162 times
NASA is a vital part of healthy growth for humanity as a race. Anyone too narrow minded to see that needs to be teleported back into the 12th century - where it was REALLY fun to live. Although I don't agree with big government, NASA is one of the things that government SHOULD do, rather then pay my health insurance.

Don't let this administration ruin NASA... vote the crooks out.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 PM

637 posts, read 3,238,139 times
So what ever happened? This post was started back in March and stated that by October all this would happen...

Old 10-05-2010, 07:11 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,329,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylena View Post
NASA is a vital part of healthy growth for humanity as a race. Anyone too narrow minded to see that needs to be teleported back into the 12th century - where it was REALLY fun to live. Although I don't agree with big government, NASA is one of the things that government SHOULD do, rather then pay my health insurance.

Don't let this administration ruin NASA... vote the crooks out.
Yea... the space program really seemed bring out the humanity in those Ruskies back in the day. And what does not understanding the value of space exploration (beyond the point we're already at) have to do with being teleported back into the 12th century?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,275,674 times
i think i remember hearing some months back that an administration outvoted Obama's plan to cut back funding for space travel and studies, which in turn involved keeping alot of jobs.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Conroe resident View Post
So what ever happened? This post was started back in March and stated that by October all this would happen...
I heard a blurb on the news that 300 private sector jobs were lost. It sounds like a possible cool-off period such that they might get rehired if funding is restored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston