Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:46 PM

172 posts, read 785,695 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone lives near George Bush Park and the Barker Reservoir, I've seen a few houses within several miles of this, and am wondering if this area has a greater number of snakes (copperhead, rattlesnake, water moccasin) than other areas of Katy area?

Thank you for any thoughts on this... I know I must sound like another freakish Northerner who is preoccupied with snakes... wait, I guess I am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:57 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default My thought...

I don't live near there, so this is just my thought. Yes. There are snakes near any body of water. Even the neighborhood rain runoff collection ponds (AKA Lakes of<insert neighboorhood name here>) attract snakes.

I know this is cold comfort for people with snake phobias, but you really can't judge a snake unless you get close enough to identify it. During the summers I get snakes in my yard all the time, and since I do my own yardwork, I am constantly finding them when clearning out leaves, weeds from the landscape. I've caught one, or two copperheads, but 99% of the time, they are garden snakes, or Texas Brown snakes, the latter two being harmless. My kids (son and daughters) like for me to give them the snakes when I catch them.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM

172 posts, read 785,695 times
Thank you for your thoughts

May I ask if you live on a larger lot, heavily wooded, or more in the country? Oh, and the snakes you're talking about, the "normal ones"- are those really thick like the big mothers I've seen photos of?

Also, I'm not looking for any land whatsoever, I'm planning on suburbia- hardly any grass, backyard with a pool and stone/concrete. Really I'm fine with no grass Hopefully that will narrow down the chances of seeing those little buggers.

BTW, are your kiddies available to "rescue" any I might find in my yard?! hehe. jk

Old 03-03-2010, 07:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default Sort of...

I live in an old neighborhood, built in the early 1980s, and the house lot is larger than most homes, but not small like todays homes are. I don't live in a forest, but there are many old trees and huge oaks all around, and in my yard.

I am on the outskirts of Katy, and so in that sense am in the country, or very close to it. There are cows, horses, and other livestock within less than a mile of my home.

But even when I lived closer in, off of Mason Road, I still had them. Houston is very humid, and the ground moist, and these snakes like to live in the damp areas, especially mulch and any piles of whatever in the yards, green areas, or fields.

If you plan on having no landscaping/grass, your lower your chances of seeing them greatly.... if your neighbors do the same. Else I think you will find them pretty much anywhere in Houston area.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:33 AM

299 posts, read 1,017,037 times
Snakes aren't necessarily more prevelent just because you live near bodies of water, but they are more prevelent where there is a good source of food (which ditches and reservoirs can provide). Having landscaping such as bushes that provide good cover and mulching wich you water regularly provide great habitats for toads and insects which then draw in lizards. Having those small reptiles around encourages snakes to hang out in your yard more.

If you look, you can find sites that have discussions on types of landscaping your can do to either encourage or discourage snakes. It's a matter of personal preference. But, you'll never be 100% sure of never seeing a snake, and again, most of the time they are harmless. Stay atleast half the snake's body length away and let them move on on their own, they usually have no desire to bother people.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,998,504 times
snakes. i hate snakes

Old 03-04-2010, 09:37 AM

491 posts, read 1,262,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2010 View Post
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone lives near George Bush Park and the Barker Reservoir, I've seen a few houses within several miles of this, and am wondering if this area has a greater number of snakes (copperhead, rattlesnake, water moccasin) than other areas of Katy area?

Thank you for any thoughts on this... I know I must sound like another freakish Northerner who is preoccupied with snakes... wait, I guess I am
They don't get too big. Here is one of the smaller ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes near Katy neighborhoods...-snake.jpg  

Old 03-04-2010, 10:06 AM

430 posts, read 1,257,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
They don't get too big. Here is one of the smaller ones.
Too funny. Texas2010 is probably rethinking his/her move now. So what is that anyway? A Python who ran away from home?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:15 AM

491 posts, read 1,262,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCatherine View Post
Too funny. Texas2010 is probably rethinking his/her move now. So what is that anyway? A Python who ran away from home?
Believe it or not, it's a rattlesnake. No kidding.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
Check your pool traps all summer. You never know what you'll find in there. This comes from someone who lives on the bayou.

I use a crow bar to pull the baskets out. I found one in my pool in Uptown and I've been scared to death ever since.Also, dead bunnies,squirrels and cats...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: