Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:35 PM

10 posts, read 59,842 times

Advertisements

I am a Cuban-American moving from Miami to Katy. I am moving my Cuban in-laws too. I was just wondering if anyone could help me find a network of Cubans. That might make the transition easier on them. We were there last weekend and they were shocked because they couldn't find cafe bustelo in the grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 07:55 PM

61 posts, read 351,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamamma View Post
I am a Cuban-American moving from Miami to Katy. I am moving my Cuban in-laws too. I was just wondering if anyone could help me find a network of Cubans. That might make the transition easier on them. We were there last weekend and they were shocked because they couldn't find cafe bustelo in the grocery stores.

cafe bustelos is very popular in Houston. You can find them at the ethnic Fiesta Stores. As far a cubans in Houston, it wont be nothing like So. Fl, but there is a significant cuban culture here. Here is a link to cuban restarants: B4-U-EAT - Houston Texas Restaurant & Dining Guide.

Cant speak for the comradeship or the cohesiveness of the local cuban community, but I have met several. Just a little historical note, Orlando Sanchez (Cuban American) narrowly lost Houston's mayoral election a few years ago; so there

Last edited by houstonman; 06-01-2007 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: wanted a smiley

Old 06-02-2007, 02:25 AM

103 posts, read 438,096 times
I'm surprised you didn't find Cafe Bustelo in Houston! What?! What area were you in? HEB has an awesome internationial section in Southwest Houston. I can't believe how far HEB has come. I've been gone 11 years and now moving back to my city I am totally diggin' this store. Anyhow,
It's hard to say where exactly to go for a Cuban community, as I'm just back myself Growing up in the SW side out of town I came across quite a few back in the 80's and 90's.
Can't be of much help, but I wish the best of luck to you!

Old 06-06-2007, 06:39 PM

Smile cubans in katy

Are there any Cuban people living in Katy?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 14,103 times
Default cubans

I have not met many Cubans in Katy, not many in Houston. I just moved to Katy from Miami about a year ago. Fiesta grocery is probably going to be your best bet for finding some ethnic cuban cuisine.

The Mexicans seem to be the largest Latino race in Katy and Miami.

Good Luck, Wish you well here.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:45 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,737 times
Members - The Houston Cuban Culture Meetup Group (Houston, TX) - Meetup.com (http://cubanculture.meetup.com/53/members/ - broken link)

This is a Houston Meet Up group of Cuban Houstonians. They more than anyone can lead you the way to the Cuban community here

Old 06-07-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawcmk View Post
I have not met many Cubans in Katy, not many in Houston. I just moved to Katy from Miami about a year ago. Fiesta grocery is probably going to be your best bet for finding some ethnic cuban cuisine.

The Mexicans seem to be the largest Latino race in Katy and Miami.

Good Luck, Wish you well here.
What part of Katy did you move to? Do you like it?

Old 06-08-2007, 07:37 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
El Meson in Rice Village rocks!! Good Cuban, Spanish, and Mexican food. They have Randy Cordero on Wed nights playing guitar, it is BEAUTIFUL! I spent my summers in South Florida when I was growing up, so I love Cuban food. Cafe Bustelo, just like everyone says, is widely available here.

Have you all checked out the Casa Cuba page? Casa Cuba Home Page

Bienvenidos a Houston!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 10,507 times
Fiesta or HEB will be your best bet, but you will be surprised that some Randall's and Kroger's are starting to carry Latino products. I know there are 2 restaurants in Sugarland area, Mojitos is one of them. The b4ueat website is great for information. There is also a restuarant in central houston (montrose/fairview) that is good. Haven't beent there in a while though, it's called Latina Cafe. Hope you enjoy Houston

Old 06-25-2007, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 10,434 times
Default Cuban in Katy

Hello... I am also a cuban that has moved from Tampa Fl. and I have found a couple of places that have cuban products. Fiesta market is a great place to find some cuban stuff, but please know this.. You not in Fl (little cuba) any more..sorry. Please post anymore questions and I will try to help..

Friendly hello always,
asamorales :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston