Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:54 AM

25 posts, read 53,590 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Findlay, OH (about 30 min south of Toledo) and i'm about to get my associates in computer programming. I want to transfer to a University and get a degree in Software Engineering. It's a relatively new field and there are not many schools that offer it yet. That said, I find the University of Houston and the University of Texas in Dallas (UTD) as my best options.

I have a wife and two children; ages 7 and 1, so i'm looking for some input on where to settle in. Obviously, if I didn't have these responsibilities I would just live right on campus but that's not the case. I was researching towns just outside of Houston such as Katy, Sugarland, and Missouri City. I would like a good school system for my children as well as safe. I would like to be relatively close to campus so I would not have to commute very long every day. I have never lived in a big city so this will more than likely be a culture shock to us, but if we live outside of the city it should make the transition a little easier.

I've also looked into UTD but have not researched cities surrounding Dallas. (actually the University is located in Richardson). So if any of you have some input on each city/University I would appreciate it. Obviously our children come first, so suggestions on their best interest (school district, safety) would be greatly appreciated also.

I forgot Houston was along the coast so the beach would be a plus, but I hear the water is pretty nasty. But hey, can't be any worst than the Great Lakes, lol

Economically, it seems that Texas is still doing pretty good compared to the rest of the country and getting a job after graduation is probably greater than elsewhere (Ohio or Michigan)

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 01:05 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
You know both cities have some very nice suburbs and schools to go along with those suburbs. It is really going to come down to which city you prefer to live in. U of H central campus is not in a good neighborhood so you won't be living right around the school. I don't know if you plan to rent or own ..... and what your monthly budget is for that. Suburbs with good school districts - Clear Lake, Sugarland, Kingwood, Pearland or Friendswood would all be good ones to consider -- there are other good ones but your commute would get longer so that is why I didn't suggest those - just thinking of ones with known good school districts that would be the closest to U of H for you. UofH Clear Lake I believe may offer the Software Engineering degree and if so, then it would be possible to live very near your school and have a good community and school district for your kids. Check out their Web site and see if that particular degree is offered at that campus - www.UHCL.edu. I looked it up and found computer engineering - here is the link so you can see a description http://prtl.uhcl.edu/portal/page/por...erview_ceng_bs. Now I believe it is still the case but UHCL is a jr/sr campus only so people usually get their basic fresh/soph at a community college and then transfer over. The majority of students there are working/married/with or without families.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:28 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
UH is in a bad neighborhood so you will need to commute. What kind of budget do you have for rent?

Old 02-06-2010, 02:32 PM

I would like to stay under 700 for rent. I know that it is difficult to find 3br apartments that offer that. (The decent ones any way). I would like to spend no more than 850/month.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Just want to make sure you realize that Houston is not "by the beach".

Old 02-06-2010, 03:16 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiedude View Post
I would like to stay under 700 for rent. I know that it is difficult to find 3br apartments that offer that. (The decent ones any way). I would like to spend no more than 850/month.
That's going to be cutting it fine, I'm afraid. Houston is a bit cheaper on apartments than Dallas. Houston is a bit cheaper period than Dallas.

You'll want to look in Pearland, I would think. There are apartments there that should fit the bill, schools = ok, commute not bad. As my friend Sampaugita said, not on the beach, but only about 30-45 minutes from Pearland. Some beach is better than no beach, as you point out. Since you're from Ohio, I'll throw in: it's warmer in Houston than in Dallas. This holds true both in winter and summer.

I lived in Dallas for years. UT-D is in a much better area of town than UH. East of Central Expressway in Richardson/Garland is heavily asian; in Plano east of Central is not good (tough schools, even though they're in the vaunted Plano school district). Lots of apartments in the area of the school and along PGBT (President George Bush Turnpike), to the west on PGBT.

I would value a degree from UH more than UT-D. Don't know why I say that, but UT-D is kind of a start-up (it's 20 or 30 years old now, but UH is decades older and larger).

It's kind of a wash. I'd concentrate on whichever school has better academics for your field, and I would definitely check with both and see what job placement assistance they offer for their graduates. What is their placement rate? I'd base my choice on those two things and make the rest work. As far as cities, the "rivalry" aside, Houston and Dallas are fairly similar (kind of like sisters...different, but more alike than different). I'd pick on the basis of school rather than on the basis of what the town is like. Your degree will take you wherever you want to go.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:34 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiedude View Post
Going to be really tough on that. Hope you weren't thinking of utilities included, those will run quite a bit extra. I agree that if you are looking at UH main camous you should look to the southern burbs for the easier commute.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:40 PM

I wasn't including utilities or any other expenses. Just rent. We own our home here in Ohio and our mortgage is 700/month. So I was hoping to stay in the same price range, maybe even a little less until I finish up with school but it looks like I will have to fork out a little more. **I've always been pretty tight with my money/spending habits. Now, my wife is another story, lol.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:49 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Well check out the link I sent for U of H Clear Lake and see if the Computer Engineering course is what you want. Schools are great in that area and there are many apartments nearby and also some apartment-style condos within 2 or 3 miles of the school that people often buy just to rent out and you can those fairly reasonable as well.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Well check out the link I sent for U of H Clear Lake and see if the Computer Engineering course is what you want. Schools are great in that area and there are many apartments nearby and also some apartment-style condos within 2 or 3 miles of the school that people often buy just to rent out and you can those fairly reasonable as well.

Yea, I think that's where I'm leaning towards. I figure I'll finish up my associates here and than attend U of H Clear Lake. It's out of the city and I'll be so close to campus. Ill get my BS in Computer Science, and than depending on my situation, go ahead and get my Masters in Software Engineering. Thanks for pointing that out to me. That make U of H a lot more appealing to me. What's the population if you don't mind me asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston