Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2006, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,654 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to Houston to work in the Galleria area. We have 3 kids and are looking for a place with good schools, but not a long commute for him. I have lived in Kingwood before and was leaning toward Eagle Springs. Everyone in the area says it is a 45 minute commute to the Galleria. Is that really true? Are there better times to travel? The new schools in the area look promising. Does anyone have any feedback on that? We also looked in Clear Lake, but that seems like a lot of traffic. Katy looks nice too but I have heard that traffic is horrible. Are there any areas close to the Galleria that are affordable and have good schools? I would appreciate any feedback on other areas or the ones I mentioned. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 10:21 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,453,331 times
Check out Cinco Ranch as well. The new Westpark Tollway makes for a rather quick commute to the Galleria area.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:21 PM
TGM

100 posts, read 593,356 times
Decide when your travel times would be, and then log on to our real time traffic map at:
http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

Short answer - traffic is bad everywhere unless you live near one of the toll roads like suggested by Mr Football above. But, seeing that you are from New York, even our traffic may be an improvement.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:32 AM

11 posts, read 49,698 times
Red face I agree with Mr. Football

I'm not sure of the exact name of the neighborhoods, but drive down both Westpark and Richmond Rd (parallel) and you'll find some friendly, safe neighborhoods. There are some really nice ones that may be a bit pricey being so close to the city, but they are considerable options. Also if you drive between Westheimer and I-10 on Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Tollroad), there are some nice subdivison there as well, again, may be a bit pricey. Look into the subdivisions on Memorial Drive close to the Galleria. I suggest Sugarland for reasonably priced housing that is not too far of a commute from the Galleria.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:19 PM

29 posts, read 79,933 times
Default ex new yorker

Well I am from long Island and after 25 years settled in the Woodlands/ spring area. My daughter has 3 children 8 and 5/twins and they have everything here.. The ymca soccer, tons of shopping and restaurants, You can get to downtown Houston on I-45 or the hardy toll road in 30 minutes.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:22 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,453,331 times
I think she said he's going to the Galleria area, which means another 15-20 minutes from The Woodlands, so make that an hour commute.

If working in the Galleria, I'd recommend Cypress, Cinco Ranch, Sugar Land or Memorial.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:39 PM

36 posts, read 120,784 times
Cypress, you're dealing with 290 and unless you buy a toll tag to ride the HOV without having 2+, good luck - it's the worst expressway in Texas; I-10 has improved, tremendously, since they've started showing the "widening" they've been doing over the years. Cinco Ranch, you'll have access to I-10, but West Park tollroad is accessible, just be prepared for traffic on that as well because it's only 2 lanes and it's not the Hardy toll road, people do not get out of your way. Sugar Land, I cant' vouch for 59, but if you're working the Galleria area, that's a hike no matter how you drive in - Memorial is about the only area you'd find it accessible to the Galleria without a long commute, but keep in mind the traffic in Houston alone, is pretty bad - anyone who says it isn't, drives 10 minutes like my boss to DT from the Village area, and even that takes him 30 minutes...

Houston has (much like Long Island) a lot of construction (on-going) and a lot of traffic, the trick is to become familiar with the backroads and areas less traveled - I've lived on the North, South and West sides of Houston (and commute on the Woodlands Express into DT - have a house across from Lake Conroe), so that should tell you something. If I had to move 'into' Houston again, even the Galleria area, I'd find a location off I-10 somewhere - anything around 290 will make you lose your hair.

Now living on the North side where I do so close to the lake, just FYI, I take the Hardy in at times and am DT in an hour...that's 51 miles...but my suggestion would be to look on www.har.com around the Cinco Ranch/Katy area - I used to drive into DT from Kirkwood and it took me 45 minutes, in traffic. Or, if you can afford Memorial...just don't go east (very industrial) and too far North. Cypress is nice, but getting to the Galleria, you're looking at again, pulling your hair out...

Old 12-20-2006, 08:50 PM

107 posts, read 569,614 times
Actually, Sugar Land to the Galleria isn't bad at all, depending on how deep into Sugar Land you live. But from, say, Hwy 6 to the Galleria, I'd think it would be around 30 to 35 minutes. I'd definitely take a side-road exit off of 59, though, and not take the exit to the loop. That's where a lot of time would be added to your commute.

I've also heard from family and friends that live out near the Westpark Tollway that it is way over capacity already, and it's not the dream-road it was just a year ago. So I wouldn't count on that being a good route, unless you leave the house early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston