Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you go to a soccer game?
I could care less about soccer and would never go 10 27.78%
It might be interested for something to do, I like soccer 26 72.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:46 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times

Advertisements

All this talk on the news showing questionable excitement about building this new soccer stadium in downtown Houston. Does anyone care?

I am a sports fan and love going to Rockets games but somehow soccer will never excite me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 AM

344 posts, read 1,250,703 times
Have you ever been to a Dynamo game? Give it a chance.

I'm glad they are considering the Galleria and other areas since the downtown site is caught up in so much red tape.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:55 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,432 times
I love soccer. But I only watch the European Championship and World Championship. Can't wait for this summer. World Championship is South Africa

Old 01-29-2010, 07:57 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1 View Post
Have you ever been to a Dynamo game? Give it a chance.

I'm glad they are considering the Galleria and other areas since the downtown site is caught up in so much red tape.
I've heard Dynamo games are supposed to be crazy. I'm hoping to be able to make a game in the near future.

So do they televise the Dynamo games? In the 6 or so months I've lived in Houston, I've never seen a game on TV.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:00 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,787 times
The game is called football. That's because you kick the ball with your feet.

For some reason people here call a game where the ball is handled most of the time football. This highlights neatly the deficiencies of the American people.

I don't give two hoots about any 'soccer' team as no such game exists as far as I'm concerned. I will however be enjoying the Football World Cup this year along with the rest of the planet.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post

For some reason people here call a game where the ball is handled most of the time football. This highlights neatly the deficiencies of the American people.

I don't give two hoots about any 'soccer' team as no such game exists as far as I'm concerned. I will however be enjoying the Football World Cup this year along with the rest of the planet.
That's just the difference between the British and your so-called "Colonial Audience", it seems
I whish they had public viewing evens here in Houston

Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post

Jeez, get of your European high horse. We already have one sport in the States which is named football and it would really confusing to have two. Considering that American football is the most popular sport in the US, the name's not going to change anytime soon, so the name 'soccer' is here to stay. We're different. DEAL WITH IT!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:13 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,787 times
It's basic logic. A game where people handle the ball most of the time shouldn't be called football.

In fact what Americans call football is a derivation of 'Rugby football' (as in the school) or 'Rugger' as chinless wonders call it. The word 'soccer' is supposed to be a similar bastardisation of association as in 'Association Football'. In short the word doesn't imply anything it's slang used by the type of toe cheese that isn't fit to kiss my boot studs.

You might call it 'soccer' wpmeads but I certainly won't. I can see how it might be 'really confusing' for certain individuals however. Run Forrest run!

You are indeed 'different' some might say 'special'

BTW the view from up here on the high horse affords a fantastic view of the plebs that grutt around in the gutter below.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Jeez, get of your European high horse. We already have one sport in the States which is named football and it would really confusing to have two. Considering that American football is the most popular sport in the US, the name's not going to change anytime soon, so the name 'soccer' is here to stay. We're different. DEAL WITH IT!
Europe is not a country, so don't lump them all together.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Europe is not a country, so don't lump them all together.
Well he never said where he was from! My guess would be the Great British, but no need to jump to conclusions. I know all the European countries are very different, but I don't see how what I said is lumping them all together into one country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston