Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:41 PM

344 posts, read 1,252,977 times

Advertisements

Houston is more conservative than liberal IMO.

As far as jobs check with Hire Synergy placement firm for accounting/finance jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 06:14 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,705,978 times
Because the urban areas, even Dallas, are more progressive (I don't know about "liberal"... the word's been rendered meaningless, IMO) than not, just like everywhere else. Houston would probably be considered more moderate, or just plain evenly divided. Your experience of Houston as liberal/progressive or conservative will greatly depend on where you live.

Houston elected its first woman mayor Kathy Whitmire in 1981 and its first African-American mayor Lee Brown in 1997. Our current mayor Bill White is a Democrat. It hasn't elected a Republican mayor in like... forever, AFAIK. The county Houston is in is another matter. As far as conservatives, where liberals are most outnumbered is by heavily Republican West Houston, where Bush Sr. lives. Out there are some of the most affluent neighborhoods in Houston. Ah, Wikipedia to the rescue: scroll down to Politics

Politics

Politics in the Greater Houston area are divided between the Republican and Democratic parties[19]. In 2004, every county in the region voted for George W. Bush, even though the cities of Houston, Galveston, Pasadena, Pearland, South Houston, Galena Park, and Missouri City were won by John Kerry.

In Houston, the Republicans are strongest in the affluent western and west-central portions of Houston, and also in the Kingwood and Clear Lake City master-planned communities on Houston's far northeast and southeast sides, respectively. The 7th congressional district, which includes much of west Houston, was previously held by George Bush, who would eventually go on to become the 41st President of the United States. Democrats are strongest within Loop 610 and in the largely poor and minority northern, eastern and southern portions of Houston. Democrats are also stronger in lower middle class areas of Montrose and Alief.

Houston's suburbs are also politically divided. For example, the counties of Brazoria and Montgomery are Republican strongholds[20], while Fort Bend and Galveston counties are more politically divided, even though both counties somewhat barely lean Republican[21]. In Fort Bend County, Democrats are strongest in majority black and Hispanic northern precincts of Missouri City, while more affluent places—such as Sugar Land and the Katy area are heavily Republican. Galveston—located in the southern portion of Galveston County—is heavily Democratic, while that county's northern suburban areas—including League City—vote Republican. Democrats also have a presence in La Marque and Texas City—both home to large numbers of unionized refinery workers—traditionally a Democratic voting bloc.

Look at the 2004 presidential election results by county (there are some neat maps if you google) all over the USA and you will see that it was mainly rural areas in every state that voted for Bush, and it wasn't like he won by a landslide in that many places. Nor was it like Kerry was such a paragon of liberalism himself. According to the red state vs. blue state crap, the city of Beaumont is liberal! If not for Chicago, Illinois would be red! If that is your gauge by which to judge a city's people, political climate, and progressiveness, you go right ahead then. Texas has 25,000,000 people, about half of whom live in Dallas or Houston. You can dismiss Texas as a red state if you want, but that's like saying all Americans are bible-thumpin' conservatives because our president is. The people are not the government.

Last edited by houstoner; 05-29-2007 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: bolding for emphasis

Old 05-30-2007, 08:09 AM

22 posts, read 55,987 times
Default Nbd

These are all great points guys. I am actually a litte tired of all the liberals here in Seattle. While not necessarily a Republican, I do find my views a bit more conservative than my peers, and I grew up here. I know Texas has a reputation for being conservative. And I'm talking the basics guys-no crazy Falwell mentalities or anything. I feel we as Americans, gay or otherwise, need to tighten up on some things (this is not the platform).

With that said, I know there are probably many "gay spots" around Tx, I just don't wanna get cracked in the head with a bottle when I leave one!! I don't wear my gayness on my sleeve. I would like some ease of dating though. Are there many closet cases/down low? I can't stand that.

The best thing about Seattle is you can be who you want, as long as you are true to yourself (sometimes not). I would like to be in a place that respects the individual for the merit, not some bible thumping expectations.

BTW, this is probably not a huge issue anyway. I just wanna get some perspectives on the tone of the city. I kinda have my heart set on moving there anyway, as Im ready for a culture shock. Hopefully June 2009, HOUSTIN HERE I COME!!!!! (then I'll have to change my screen name!)

Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 AM

2,629 posts, read 8,851,376 times
Bah humbug! It's Bush country more in the suburbs, but not so much in the city. I run around with my "W - our Scarlett Letter" bumber sticker and so far no one has pelted me with rocks!
Seriously, the city is more liberal than the suburbs typically. It depends upon where you live in Houston. I would expect the politics of Montrose or Heights, for example, are going to be quite different from Katy or Kingwood.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:49 AM

217 posts, read 671,848 times
GWM again here from San Antonio. Again, gay men in Houston love it. But there is one thing that I found to be a bit odd. Some Houstonian friends and I drove to the gay bar area in the Montrose at 11:00 on a Saturday night to hit a couple of the bars. We had to circulate a lot to find parking, and when I suggested parking only three blocks away, they said "Oh, no way," because of how dangerous it was to walk in that gay hood at night. We ended up parking one and a half blocks away on one of the side streets (the equivalent of fifty yards from the bars--very small blocks), and they were warning me how we needed to walk on the sidewalk in the open, and away from cars where people can hide between cars and jump out at you and gay bash. Now, these were non-paranoid people (I'm usually the paranoid one, and they always make fun of me for it), so that should tell you how seriously they were taking it. These friends are highly educated medical doctors and oil people in their 40s and 50s, if that helps put this in context. I'm from Chicago, and have often had to park half a mile away from bars, and while you do have to keep your eyes open, nobody ever put muggings and gay bashings on the front burner. This is all to say that the Montrose is not some open-armed sanctuary that one might think it is, due to what seems to be some pretty active thug activity.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:00 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,031,085 times
Yes, I can hear where you guys are coming from. For myself, I'm very liberal in terms of lifestyle and politics but definitely not "fanatical." There are many Republicans who are "liberal" in their thinking as well. I guess it all comes down to a sense of balance. In the end we're all people struggling to find our place in this world. The politics associated with any state is important..in other words you should know if you're moving to a conservative community. I don't want that by any means as it wouldn't fit my lifestyle or belief system but I realize that some would feel right at home in that type of a community.

The BEST community in my opinion is where you and your neighbors can put politics and religion aside and just be good to each other. There's a stereotype associated with "big city people being rude" and I can tell you that I take "mannerisms" very seriously. Perhaps that's why I tend to get along with all people. Texas- Social and political climate is a big issue for anyone moving to this state and you can't help but wonder how you'll fit in if you are vehemently against Bush and the whole right wing mentality.

But the way I see it we all have our differences. Some people hate church others embrace it. Some are pro-military others are not. Some are Vegans while others love steaks. So you see it's a giant melting pot but hey WE'RE ALL AMERICANS!

I'm pondering on the idea of being around friendly Texans and learning the whole southern culture. Modster has been very helpful to me as well as other Texans. I don't see myself living in the burbs regardless if it's liberal or conservative...Suburban living is a nightmare for me and I will never repeat it.
Downtown? Possibly! I'd have to see how the scene is set up. The only thing I want to avoid is the upscale communities and anywhere where there's a lot of ritz and glamor.

My idea community would have many artists, immigrants and poor college students. I've lived in every level of society and this has been the culture I like best. Also, once in a while I like to visit people in the country/ranch for a good barbecue. So long as I'm near the college, work, grocery and cheap little places where you can find nice jewels I would be happy. College Towns are too wild for me and Suburbs are too boring....I like the "in between"

Old 05-30-2007, 10:01 AM

8 posts, read 23,276 times
Thumbs up Houston is hot!

I lived in houston for a while and as a matter of fact I will be going back this saturday to stay. Houston is very gay friendly! It's everywhere down there. Nobody was trippi'n when I was there. I have gay friends there. Housing is very affordable and people are very friendly. There is always something to do there, the entertainment scene is hot! Make sure you to visit the Galleria, a large shopping comlex with lots of stores, clubs, restaurants, you name it! By the way, everything is bigger in Texas! Good luck and God bless you!

P.S. The employment opportunities there are excellent!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 AM

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about with regards to your sexuality. As long as you don't "force" your way of life on others you should have no problems. I'm glad that gays/lesbians have more freedom to express themselves and live in peace. Some people may disagree with your lifestyle but it's their right so long as they don't abuse you because of who you are. Anyhow, life's too short for that nonsense. Chicago and NY are gay friendly cities and I assume that Houston is the same.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:04 PM

832 posts, read 3,858,754 times
Even here in Kingwood, we have avery active Kingwood Democrats. The % is 58% Republican to 42% Democrat

Old 05-30-2007, 04:26 PM

Is Kingwood near Sugar Land? What is it about this suburb that everyone keeps talking about "Sugar Land?" Something tells me it's a republican community.
Nonetheless, regardless of political stance all republicans are not the same and all liberals are not the same. I'm a liberal but seem to connect with the right wing in a very unique way. In other words we put our politics aside and really look at issues in the "full scope"

It all comes down to the individual people. After living/visiting many cities I've found the good and bad elements are not centrally located but scattered. However, we do share several things regardless of politics. We all want to feel safe, have financial security and be able to share our lives with others.

If you ask me, I think the battle is between those that have and those that have not. It's always been like that. When I lived in NY people would say the worst things about Texans and I told them to not judge the whole state based on its past reputation or by Bush. Afterall, I'm quite sure that many people in Houston, Austin and Dallas don't favor Bush. Some do but not everyone. Unfortunately, many people are going to look at Texas as a racist conservative bible belt state. I know it's not fair but it's the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston