Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 PM

433 posts, read 1,937,897 times

Advertisements

So the NPR station here is.....severely lacking in programming. Are there any other 24-hour FM/AM radio stations that are similar to NPR? News, talk, interesting shows like BBC newshour, Radio Lab, Worldview, All Things Considered, This American Life, Fresh Air, Morning Edition, Marketplace etc, etc. i could go on and on!!! I miss it so much.

I was so surprised driving home to Chicago that Shreveport of all places and Jonesboro, Ark had amazing NPR stations! Is there a specific reason why Houston doesn't? Obviously they must not have a lot of listener support ($), but is there another radio station that I am missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 PM

443 posts, read 1,351,133 times
Here is Houston's NPR station:

Homepage for KUHF - NPR News/Information and Classical Music/Fine Arts 24 Hours a Day from Houston, Texas

88.7 FM

KUHF is substantially supported by local corporations and individuals to the tune of nearly $8million/year

Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 PM

2,556 posts, read 4,083,336 times
You are right, KUHF is lousy compared to the public radio stations I've listened to elsewhere in the country. Their classical music programming is wildly unappealing, and there aren't enough talk programs during the day. They've made a few improvements lately, adding BBC in the afternoon, for example.

I don't know why they are so bad. I stopped contributing because I found their programming to be too boring and conservative for me .

Old 01-20-2010, 09:49 PM

116 posts, read 281,989 times
I like KPFT for something different.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,351,272 times
Default Red State

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post

I don't know why they are so bad. I stopped contributing because I found their programming to be too boring and conservative for me .
Texas is a red state, that is probably the reason. Even the public stations need money to survive, and you can't broadcast Progressive programs to a mostly Conservative audience, and expect to do well.

That said, check the Internet for your programs, many stations stream their programs on the Internet.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:24 PM

443 posts, read 1,351,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Texas is a red state, that is probably the reason.

Do you know anything about Texas? Harris county (Houston) went for Obama in 2008.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,061,985 times
Oil and Gas votes red usually, cities with large minority populations (and New england) usually vote blue.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,351,272 times
Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
Do you know anything about Texas? Harris county (Houston) went for Obama in 2008.
I've been voting for 30 years in Harris County, and have been an Election Judge, and precinct delegate for the past 15 years. So yes, I know a thing, or two about Texas.

Many traditional red areas went blue in 2008 for the same reasons, the Obama Effect; I have a hunch that it won't be happening in the next election cycle. Harris County precincts have always trended Republican, by an almost 2 to 1 margin. In regard to local elections, Houston, as most large cities, leans Democratic.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:39 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,698,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I've been voting for 30 years in Harris County, and have been an Election Judge, and precinct delegate for the past 15 years. So yes, I know a thing, or two about Texas.

Many traditional red areas went blue in 2008 for the same reasons, the Obama Effect; I have a hunch that it won't be happening in the next election cycle. Harris County precincts have always trended Republican, by an almost 2 to 1 margin. In regard to local elections, Houston, as most large cities, leans Democratic.
There's a new Obama Effect at work, and it's turning blue to red across the country....I expect Rush Limbaugh to be on NPR shortly.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:44 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,698,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
Here is Houston's NPR station:

Homepage for KUHF - NPR News/Information and Classical Music/Fine Arts 24 Hours a Day from Houston, Texas

88.7 FM

KUHF is substantially supported by local corporations and individuals to the tune of nearly $8million/year
I don't understand why they get $460k of federal tax money. People are out of work, our country is over its head in debt and there are a gazillion stations on the dial already. Why do I have to pay for a radio station I don't want to listen to anyways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston