Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 02:36 PM

24 posts, read 88,492 times

Advertisements

Getting ready to relo from NYC, planned on Dallas area, ruled out Austin, have friend in Katy says come here. I have spent tons of time in Dallas but very little time in Houston. Looking for great schools, good/growing local economy, friendly people, low crime with some vintage Texas (BBQ, cowboy hats, rodeo and hospitality!) Is Katy the place for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 07:30 PM

241 posts, read 585,882 times
Katy sounds like a very good fit for you based on your criteria. I live in the Cinco Ranch area (newer part of Katy) which has most of what you wrote except for the authentic small-town Texas feel--however, you can go to old Katy in ten minutes and find it right there.

I love Katy and am so grateful I moved here. I lived in NYC for six years, and am much happier being in Katy.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:55 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcata View Post
Getting ready to relo from NYC, planned on Dallas area, ruled out Austin, have friend in Katy says come here. I have spent tons of time in Dallas but very little time in Houston. Looking for great schools, good/growing local economy, friendly people, low crime with some vintage Texas (BBQ, cowboy hats, rodeo and hospitality!) Is Katy the place for me?
Besides the actual Rodeo and Livestock Show, there won't be too much vintage Texas in Houston. There are dance halls in the area and BBQ places but don't expect stereotypical Texas. Katy since it is located and has rural roots you will probably see more "Texas culture" there than inside of Houston but don't expect to be blown away by it.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:00 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
If you are looking for great schools with a combination of suburban banality, Katy will suit your needs quite well.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:25 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcata View Post
I have been here since July and I really enjoy living here. You get the gret bargain for your buck and environment. Very low crime area, beautiful landscape, top rated schools. People are very friendly and educated.

I think Katy is the place for you!

Old 12-25-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
Katy sounds like a very good fit for you based on your criteria. I live in the Cinco Ranch area (newer part of Katy) which has most of what you wrote except for the authentic small-town Texas feel--however, you can go to old Katy in ten minutes and find it right there.

I love Katy and am so grateful I moved here. I lived in NYC for six years, and am much happier being in Katy.
NYC is very expensive to live in.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:00 AM

293 posts, read 1,036,082 times
Texas football is great here. There are lots of great small towns around of you don't see enough cowboy hats. My husband grew up on a ranch two hours away, lots of areas with real Texans. He is an engineer and we live in Katy, Cinco Ranch and we love it. We have lived in other states and enjoyed everywhere. We love being back here though. We lived here about 15 years ago. I grew up coming to see my grandparents in the original Katy. I love being able to go there too. We shopped there for Christmas and we eat there too. I love to support the area. Cinco Ranch is SO pretty!

Old 12-27-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudysmom View Post
Texas football is great here. There are lots of great small towns around of you don't see enough cowboy hats. My husband grew up on a ranch two hours away, lots of areas with real Texans. He is an engineer and we live in Katy, Cinco Ranch and we love it. We have lived in other states and enjoyed everywhere. We love being back here though. We lived here about 15 years ago. I grew up coming to see my grandparents in the original Katy. I love being able to go there too. We shopped there for Christmas and we eat there too. I love to support the area. Cinco Ranch is SO pretty!
What is considered original Katy? Is that Katy Proper?

Old 12-27-2009, 12:29 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,219,237 times
Katy is very nice, but there are other more important considerations. #1 is getting a job. Once you do that, you must decide what kind of commute you want (Keep in mind Houston has very little in the way of public transport). THEN you can decide where to live in the Hosuton area. There are a number of nice neighborhoods and suburbs in just about any direction, Katy is only one possible choice. It is all about the job and the commute. Also keep in mind that finding jobs around here is getting harder, not easier.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Katy is very nice, but there are other more important considerations. #1 is getting a job. Once you do that, you must decide what kind of commute you want (Keep in mind Houston has very little in the way of public transport). THEN you can decide where to live in the Hosuton area. There are a number of nice neighborhoods and suburbs in just about any direction, Katy is only one possible choice. It is all about the job and the commute. Also keep in mind that finding jobs around here is getting harder, not easier.
Houston still has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. Companies are still hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston