Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 01:06 PM

27 posts, read 88,032 times

Advertisements

While I got a lot of heat (and loads of misinterpretation) for my last post I think this one is worth a re-visit in a more controlled and serious light.
/***********************************/

I live in Memorial Parkway and have friends in Nottingham Country and Cinco (both in south Katy), upper Cypress (near 290), Cy-Fair (upper Katy), and Katy Creek Ranch. While I realize this (is newer better?) debate happens in many other places, including Pearland, Sugar Land, and the Woodlands...I'll focus on Katy b/c it's what/where I know best.

-----------------------------------------------------
As I see it there are many trade-offs to the newer, more prestigious subdivisions and the more established ones. Here are some of them that occur often (though please note I am NOT saying they always happen this way!)...and feel free to add your own opinions to the list:

Financially...
1. Energy efficiency savings (newer) vs. lower taxes (older)
2. Stability of value (older) vs. fair potential for both gain in value and loss (newer), especially in terms of new neighborhood growth and/or depreciation of especially new homes.
3. Great features built in (newer) vs. flexibility for more personalized home improvement given some hard work (IE yes you can put a new Energy Star a/c and fridge in an old house...for a certain effort and price).
Entertainment-wise...

1. More amenities (newer) vs. more money left over to choose or build your own (older).
2. Easier for kids to meet other kids in neighborhood facilities vs. more incentive for kids to get out of the subdivision sometimes and be adventurous.
3. Often older homes have much larger yards while newer ones have things like large and fantastic game rooms.
Education-wise
1. Better rated schools academically concerning statistics (newer) vs. schools often with more social flexibility and diversity (older).
2. Ability to have kids attend the best public schools (newer) vs. ability to have them attend good but not great public schools and extra savings handy for private school options.

Personal opinion: it's hard to say whether new or old neighborhoods are better...it really depends how you want to raise your family (and no, that does not mean better vs. worse, more caring vs. less caring...just different).
I know people from both newer and older neighborhoods who can easily afford either and say they'd never turn back.

I am just interested what opinions there are on this issue...specifically from people who have lived in both newer and older neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,873 times
Some people choose older in established suburban towns because of the following:
1. Location-Proximity to certain establishments. Older areas might be closer to the better places.
2. Zoned to established and better schools.
3. More stable neighbors and home values are better established.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:13 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
What is your definition of older vs newer? What year or decade do you draw the line??

Old 12-01-2009, 02:17 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
IA with the above.
If a neighborhood, and it's schools, have made it through the past 30-40 years only to increase in value, it becomes a desired destination/location despite the age of the home.If it's remained a great neighborhood for 40 years, there's a good chance it will remain strong another 40. Neighbors become "caretakers" of the neighborhood, or good citizens/neighbors, rather than just home dwellers. There is a big difference, and only those that have lived in a great,old neighborhood and a spanking new one before really understand this.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:31 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,885 times
my blu-ray experience gets ruined by my wife washing dishes in the background. i'll give 1 point to older homes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston