Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:28 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times

Advertisements

I never understood this new law. Some folks don't get home till 8:00. then after they have supper with the family, it's to late to go to the park. We use to fly kites at midnight at Miller theater, with no problems I might add. Especially in the summer, when it is to hot to come out during the day. What happens at 10:00 that is any different than midnight? some people work the second shift, and like to go take a walk in the park to unwind. but that is no longer legal. what are our parks for, if we can't enjoy them whenever our schedule allows us to? It's like we can't be trusted to have recreation, except within a given time frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,040 times
I am guessing that the park ranger would like to go home at 10pm instead of being out all night. I am also guessing that the later it is- the more likely to have underage kids out who shouldn't be...maybe more rowdy folks...drinking...illicit sexual activity...
Just a guess.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:50 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
Most parks should close @ 10pm only 2 that should stay open 24/7 Memorial & Hermannin

Old 11-23-2009, 03:52 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
What happens at midnight that doesn't happen at 10 - statistically more people are out who are up to no good and tend to prey on those hard-working people who do go out late. And as previous poster mentioned - probably more problems with teens, gangs and underage kids wrecking it for everyone.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:57 PM

So Fear is the reason to close our Parks. I have no fear, so maybe only people who are not afraid of other people should be allowed to use them. --I'm speaking of City Parks, that have no "Rangers"

Old 11-23-2009, 04:03 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Well we do have a rather litigious society - so I am sure that if the park were open after 10 and someone became a crime victim of some sort - they'd sue the city because they city should've protect them by having hours on the open/close of the park.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 PM

Lots of primitive cultures fear the unknown. I have spent many Hours in Our Parks, for decades, and have never had, or seen a problem. People go to the park to relax. they come to your house, to commit crimes.---

Old 11-23-2009, 10:54 PM

344 posts, read 1,186,893 times
A few "facts" seem to be wrong here.
  • The parks are open to 11 according to the parks department website.
  • Crime didn't used to be much of a problem in city parks because there was a separate police department (Houston Park Police). But it was absorbed into HPD in 1992 (yet another short term fix to HPD's persistent manpower shortages across the decades) and crime in city parks increased, pretty much overnight. From William Smith, director Houston Parks & Recreation:
    Quote:
    In 1993, when I became director of the Houston Parks and Recreation Department, we had very low usage of our neighborhood parks due to crime and security issues.
  • Yes Virginia, there really are Houston Park Rangers:
  • http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/images/parkrangershome.jpg (broken link)
  • http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/parkrangers.html (broken link)
  • Houston parks aren't crime infested places, but crime most definitely happens there. Recent stats for Houston Parks show that plenty of crime happens in them and their parking lots: including rapes, robberies, assaults, narcotics violations, thefts and a slew of burglaries of motor vehicles.

Last edited by DrLizardo; 11-23-2009 at 11:15 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 07:17 AM

I would be glad to sign a release form, freeing any one of the responsibility for my saftey. As I said, I have been a regular Park user since the 70s, and can not support the findings that there is rampant crime there. I just never see it. I don't need Cops to be safe, and never have. --But if they feel that the parks are not safe, then make them safe. Arrest bad guys, don't give in to them and close the park. Want me to do it for ya? ---Every time a freedom is taken away, the threat of danger is used. "It's not safe to drive without a seat belt", "It's not safe to ride with out a helmet". "It's not safe to Skate on the Streets." The truth is the Gubment just wants to have control of the populace, and to control their actions. I want no control, and need no protection. But I do want the freedom to use My Parks when I want to. I work till 10:00 seven days a week.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:18 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,266 times
It's to stop bums sleeping and drinking there. Otherwise they'd be mini party zones for the cities homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston