Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:36 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,299,040 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to deviate from my original question, but the talk of my child's grades and suggestions from some of you that we go to a private school got me and my wife revisiting the subject yet again, I mean, who, as a parent, has not thought about private school?

So, I was reviewing my child's latest report card, and this being our first child in public schools, I want to know (from current/former Texas teachers) is what the 'Promotion Standards' means. Our child is in the high 90's in Reading, Language, Spelling and Math. Her lowest score is 96. The 'Promotion Standards' say 'Passes the third grade Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills in Reading'. It also says 'Passes the fifth grade Texas Assesment of Knowledge and Skills in Reading and Math'.

What does all that mean? Is this just a note to say what is required, or that my child is in this league? If the latter, is it me, or is the Texas Assesment really dumbed down?! I am not doubting my daugher, she is smart, but I don't want to think that she is any better than the child next to her.

Or, is my child ready for the fifth grade?! She is just in the first grade. I am a little concerned now... before it was great to know how well she does, but now we are questioning if we are holding our daughter behind ourselves.

Of course, this is in regards to the HOUSTON area... in Katy, next to Houston.

BTW, for those of you who have asked... we fly from Houston to Frankfurt, then board a train to Nuremberg, it is supposedly one of the best/oldest Christmas Markets in Germany. We spend a few days there, then head to Munich, we've been there, a nice Christmas Market there too. Then we had back to Frankfurt for a flight to Barcelona where we will visit the Frankfurt Christmas Market before we leave. The Christmas Market in Barcelona is not that great, we've been there a few times for Christmas, but a Christmas Market nonetheless. We spend Christmas in Barcelona with family, then head out either to Granada, or Bern, Switzerland for New Years to visit more family, then back to Barcelona, spend the night, then head back to Frankfurt, then Houston. In all, three weeks in winter weather!

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 11-15-2009 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 08:15 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,943,657 times
So your trip sounds awesome, I've been to most of those Christmas markets as well and they are great. If you're into that though, the only town you didn't mention that I would recommend is Rothenburg. It wouldn't be far out the way, and it is SO great.

That said, I got into some conversations this weekend at some birthday parties about the "new" Texas compulsory attendence law. Have you read about this? Katy is taking it very seriously, although because its so new most of the teachers don't even really have a clue how it is handled...but I've already had two friends with court orders for truancy issues because of family vacations. Apparently you can get out of it with some care in Katy, but in Fort Bend people have literally HAD to hire lawyers and pay court fees, etc over it. Sounds kinda crazy to me, but be warned.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Default Yes... thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
So your trip sounds awesome, I've been to most of those Christmas markets as well and they are great. If you're into that though, the only town you didn't mention that I would recommend is Rothenburg. It wouldn't be far out the way, and it is SO great.

That said, I got into some conversations this weekend at some birthday parties about the "new" Texas compulsory attendence law. Have you read about this? Katy is taking it very seriously, although because its so new most of the teachers don't even really have a clue how it is handled...but I've already had two friends with court orders for truancy issues because of family vacations. Apparently you can get out of it with some care in Katy, but in Fort Bend people have literally HAD to hire lawyers and pay court fees, etc over it. Sounds kinda crazy to me, but be warned.
My wife is visiting the office tomorrow just to make sure. If they give us problems, then we might just take the advice, and our burried regrets and put our children in private schools. Not for the purpose of pulling them out for trips, but the Texas public schools have such strict requirements, but it's not for the "benefit" of our children, I know better, the benefit is that they loose money from the State, and Federal Dollars as well. In other words, we might affect their salary, and bonuses if we keep our children out. Then again, there are those parents who are not involved, and who's kids are always behind, those are the real targets here I think.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,681 times
I strongly encourage you to talk with the teacher and/or principle about your family's plans. There is a saying that goes, "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission." That doesn't work so much in this case. If the school's administration knows you gave them the consideration to discuss your plans with them, then they will in all probability grant the abscences without any problem. However, if you "just do it," there is little reason to expect they would overlook the abscences. If they don't grant these as excused abscences, then you are not out anything more than if your child simply didn't show up. In addition, if they know the nature of the trip, they may have your child do some kind of project with pictures etc., to share with the other students when your child returns. This could be a Win/Win for your child and the other students with a little cooperation and imagination as you partner together with the administration for the good of all concerned. Just a thought!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:10 AM

Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jim Carroll View Post
I strongly encourage you to talk with the teacher and/or principle about your family's plans. There is a saying that goes, "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission." That doesn't work so much in this case. If the school's administration knows you gave them the consideration to discuss your plans with them, then they will in all probability grant the abscences without any problem. However, if you "just do it," there is little reason to expect they would overlook the abscences. If they don't grant these as excused abscences, then you are not out anything more than if your child simply didn't show up. In addition, if they know the nature of the trip, they may have your child do some kind of project with pictures etc., to share with the other students when your child returns. This could be a Win/Win for your child and the other students with a little cooperation and imagination as you partner together with the administration for the good of all concerned. Just a thought!
Advice from a Dr., how could anyone go wrong, eh? Just kidding. Yes, my wife did stop by the school and spoke to the Principle; she was given a 'Prearranged Absence' form to fill out. There is nothing that can be done about the automatic letter than ensues, but at least the school will know she will be out before hand. My wife will speak to the teacher again to see if it can be a 'lesson', but we're not hanging our hats on that one.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,876,473 times
I don't like it either when parents pull out their child all the time. But hey, it's Europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston