Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:37 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times

Advertisements

Why has going to any Houston area mall turned into a trip to a foreign country's tourist stalls? I HATE going to the mall and having all these people from the carts, get in my face and if you say no, you have to hear them saying "can I just ask you a question?" trailing from behind you as you pass them by. Then if you come back from the opposite direction a few minutes later -- it's "oh, you came back for me." I want to complain but not sure it would do any good. I go to the mall -- not to be accosted like I am visiting a third world country with impoverished vendors trying to earn a living (that is totally different and expected). I found this at Baybrook and at the Galleria. What's up with this?

I've noticed most of the people who do this are young people and have international accents from all over the world. I had read (and not sure if true or not) that these cart vendors hire international students and pay for them to come over here and work because they can't get the Americans (for minimum wage) to go to all that effort of accosting shoppers with sales pitches. If true, cart owners - shame on you for taking advantage of people who come from countries where that is the only way they can make a living and having them do that here when it isn't necessary. I think I'll revolt and have my own little protest and just Christmas shop online.

Last edited by texas7; 11-07-2009 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,885 times
maybe you look like you need the services they offer.
like that running strings on your face middleeast racket

Old 11-07-2009, 11:33 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
ummm....okay, whatever you think (and whatever that post means). I guess everyone else in the mall does as well as they approach all shoppers -- particularly those who are shopping alone or not otherwise engaged in a conversation.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:38 AM

159 posts, read 565,854 times
I have to agree that these may be the single most annoying people on the planet. I had one that grabbed my wife one time and tried to pull her over to his cart. I am a rather large guy, and walked up and said "don't touch my wife" and we left. From now on, when we pass one of these kiosks, i make sure that I am on the inside. My wife hates them as well, especially since that one guy physically grabbed her.

I am a guy, but I had a lady at the "mineral powder makeup" stand come up to me and ask if I would be interested in buying some makeup. First of all, no guy in his right mind buys make up for his wife, that would be suicide. 2nd, I'm a guy, and i don't wear make up.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:38 AM

yeah people who shop alone looks like they have the time to kill.

so did the folks giving away free sugarcoated almond nuts bugged you yet? they get me to buy more everytime!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanewidick View Post
I have to agree that these may be the single most annoying people on the planet.
more than road hog bikers?

Old 11-07-2009, 12:05 PM

159 posts, read 565,854 times
Quote:
more than road hog bikers?
Okay, maybe tied for most annoying.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:58 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,458 times
Quote:
What?

Old 11-07-2009, 02:05 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanewidick View Post
I have to agree that these may be the single most annoying people on the planet. I had one that grabbed my wife one time and tried to pull her over to his cart. I am a rather large guy, and walked up and said "don't touch my wife" and we left. From now on, when we pass one of these kiosks, i make sure that I am on the inside. My wife hates them as well, especially since that one guy physically grabbed her.

I am a guy, but I had a lady at the "mineral powder makeup" stand come up to me and ask if I would be interested in buying some makeup. First of all, no guy in his right mind buys make up for his wife, that would be suicide. 2nd, I'm a guy, and i don't wear make up.
I would have called the cops and had the person arrested for assault after I started raising hell. Believe me it works. Some stranger better never lay hands on me without being invited. Something similar happened to me in Pasadena Town Square a few years ago and I raised such a stink the mall management was bending over backward to make nice. I have never entered the mall proper again though I have gone directly into the 2 of the stores. I treat Baybrook the same way...directly into stores and out never walk the mall.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:06 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Why has going to any Houston area mall turned into a trip to a foreign country's tourist stalls? I HATE going to the mall and having all these people from the carts, get in my face and if you say no, you have to hear them saying "can I just ask you a question?" trailing from behind you as you pass them by. Then if you come back from the opposite direction a few minutes later -- it's "oh, you came back for me." I want to complain but not sure it would do any good. I go to the mall -- not to be accosted like I am visiting a third world country with impoverished vendors trying to earn a living (that is totally different and expected). I found this at Baybrook and at the Galleria. What's up with this?
All the malls are struggling, including possibly the Galleria. I don't mean the stores themselves, but companies such as Simon. They have to make their money any way they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I've noticed most of the people who do this are young people and have international accents from all over the world. I had read (and not sure if true or not) that these cart vendors hire international students and pay for them to come over here and work because they can't get the Americans (for minimum wage) to go to all that effort of accosting shoppers with sales pitches. If true, cart owners - shame on you for taking advantage of people who come from countries where that is the only way they can make a living and having them do that here when it isn't necessary. I think I'll revolt and have my own little protest and just Christmas shop online.
Shame on them? Compared to where most of those people would be working in their own countries I'd say they are doing them a favor. I do agree that protesting via online shopping is a great idea. And I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to be hassled either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston