Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:52 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times

Advertisements

[quote=Malvie;11489838]EE, I don't know where else in the US you've been, but Houston has some of the largest buildings, roads, and "components" around. NYC is bigger, as is Chicago, but most other places are not as developed as Houston already is.

QUOTE]

No, they are not. They are definitely more densely populated, but the cities themselves are smaller than Houston area wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
EE, I don't know where else in the US you've been, but Houston has some of the largest buildings, roads, and "components" around. NYC is bigger, as is Chicago, but most other places are not as developed as Houston already is.

I have to agree with some of the others on here: those desiring a completely pedestrian urban experience can find same in New York, Chicago, and San Francisco. You'll not find it in most of the southern and western cities, period--or anywhere (other than Chicago) where the weather is extreme.

(BTW, I loved living in NYC when I was 30. I wouldn't want to do it now. I don't want to walk everywhere, I want to drive my car and park it near my destination. And yes, I'm 52 now. Even many New Yorkers I know leave the city as they hit middle/late middle age; they want an easier lifestyle.).

Well, I was merely echoing some of the other posts that I have seen on this website where the individual mentions that Houston is a dynamic and changing city, whereas most other northern cities have already had the major "components" put in. If you look around Houston things seem new and just built. But, in most other cities northern cities it seems like the roads and buildings have been around for a while.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Um, why do you always to state the obvious? It's more than apparent that Houston was developed after the advent of the automobile. So yes, it is a dynamic, changing city--it's been playing catch up. Houstonians know this, and so does everyone else. Seriously though, if you want to help this city out, get a job working for METRO or a construction job, and go to class and get good grades to help UH attend it's "Tier 1 dream." Getting involved might help more than harping about something that's already in the process.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:28 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Um, why do you always to state the obvious? It's more than apparent that Houston was developed after the advent of the automobile. So yes, it is a dynamic, changing city--it's been playing catch up. Houstonians know this, and so does everyone else. Seriously though, if you want to help this city out, get a job working for METRO or a construction job, and go to class and get good grades to help UH attend it's "Tier 1 dream." Getting involved might help more than harping about something that's already in the process.
SOME people earlier in the thread dont agree with thats why i felt I needed to reinstate that.

METRO and Construction doesn't pay like O&G jobs do. Especially Engineering ones. And face it, most people here dont move because the city is so great, they move because the jobs are better and higher paying.

I think that Houstonians don't realize how far UH is from being Tier 1. There are so many improvements that need to be made. Day to day I still see drawbacks and reasons why UH wont make it in the next 5 years. But, UH is moving and pushing to do something instead of sitting there.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:21 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
SOME people earlier in the thread dont agree with thats why i felt I needed to reinstate that.

METRO and Construction doesn't pay like O&G jobs do. Especially Engineering ones. And face it, most people here dont move because the city is so great, they move because the jobs are better and higher paying.

I think that Houstonians don't realize how far UH is from being Tier 1. There are so many improvements that need to be made. Day to day I still see drawbacks and reasons why UH wont make it in the next 5 years. But, UH is moving and pushing to do something instead of sitting there.
Lol, They do. If you ask me, it's gonna be another 20 years at least.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:42 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
"the disaster of Houston" and exactly what is that? People keep moving here so it must not be too much of a disaster.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:45 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Well, I was merely echoing some of the other posts that I have seen on this website where the individual mentions that Houston is a dynamic and changing city, whereas most other northern cities have already had the major "components" put in. If you look around Houston things seem new and just built. But, in most other cities northern cities it seems like the roads and buildings have been around for a while.
Yes and a huge number of those Northern cities are all on the decline (no, not the major such as NYC) as their economies are on the downturn and population declines as people move away for both jobs and more seasons of good weather, etc. Do I want to be like them -- money spent to make it a more beautiful place but economies too expensive to live well in, shoveling snow and ice for 4 months a year and working people moving away to live better - leaving a city in a decline and near bankruptcy -- thanks but no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: