Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 16,047 times

Advertisements

HI
I recently relocated from Chicago and after renting for about 2 months I think it is time to consider buying. Considering westin homes, but not sure if they are reputed enough. Have read reviews online but they are very mixed, some people love their westin homes and others have had the worse experiences. Also, looked at trendmaker and KB. Please advise what I should do..once I decide on the builder I can narrow down the area. So far it is either Katy or Cypress.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
New2Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:21 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,070 times
Do a search on this forum, it seems like all we talk about is builders.

NO KB...are you crazy? Comparing KB to Trendmaker is like comparing a beat up moped to a Lexus.

A lot depends on your price point, but here are some good builders to start with

Weekley
Perry
Trendmaker
Highland
Village
Newmark
Partners in Building
Darling
Westport

Old 11-04-2009, 02:24 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,396 times
It also depends on each individual subdivision. The homes are only as good as their head contractor. Some builders do have a better reputation than others.

Go to the individual neighborhood you like and ask the current neighbors what they think.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:38 PM

809 posts, read 3,569,123 times
KB and Trendmaker in the same sentence?? That's a first.

Why not decide where you want to be then see who builds there? And consider resales also.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:12 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post

Why not decide where you want to be then see who builds there? And consider resales also.
I am assuming (since OP was looking at Katy) that maybe they were looking at the Martha Stewart KB in Woodcreek??... they're like $400k.

I remember going through the models... some unique designs, fun to look at, above my price range, but I just don't think I could trust KB to build a $400k home. I'd be interested to know how that collection in Woodcreek has held up, sales wise.

We have a Villiage Builder home... very happy with it... for us, good value for the money... a lot included that other builders called upgrades...

My neighborhood also has Trendmaker homes, I like them very much too, neighbors have good things to say.

Not a fan of Perry... basic box... build as big as you can vs as nice as you can. Also nickle and dime the upgrades. Plus IMO their "job built" kitchen cabinets are fugly... but that is just my taste.

I have several friends in Highlands homes and they are very nice too.

(This is all in the Cinco/Seven Meadows area in Katy)

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM

118 posts, read 340,173 times
Also need to check David Weekly homes, and Perry Homes if you want Luxury, but if you want affordable and good size home, be sure to also see Centex Homes.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 16,047 times
Thanks you all for your valuable feedback.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:15 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post

That is what I was just thinking....

Old 11-05-2009, 11:20 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,858 times
I would say Weekly, Trendmaker, Highland and Village not in any particular order. I actually like Village and Highland homes the best out of those and we owned a Weekly. Great house but these days they think highly of themselves. Small bedrooms and small closets. Village has some wonderful floor plans. Our fave is the Filmore and we looked at the Van Buren. Both great plans. Highland is super sweet. Love their staircases and uplighting outside of the home. We could not touch those though. Ended up in a close out Wilshire.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:27 PM

166 posts, read 899,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCinco View Post
Also need to check David Weekly homes, and Perry Homes if you want Luxury, but if you want affordable and good size home, be sure to also see Centex Homes.

"Perry Homes" and "Luxury" used in the same sentence?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston