Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:15 PM

42 posts, read 124,874 times

Advertisements

Well, my family and I have just moved to Katy, TX a month ago from Charlotte, NC. We love that Katy is convenient and diverse. We are living in an apartment for 12 months to test out the area and see if we want to make Katy our permanent residence. I've been looking into Cinco Ranch and it looks very nice. Top schools and nice houses. So which area do you recommend buying a house in?
Currently, I'm 16 and a sophomore at Taylor High. I have to say, I don't like the kids here. They all have their little groups of people and don't bother talking to new kids. So I'm also wondering if CRHS is any different.

*Thank y'all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:33 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
I am not a highschooler, nor do I have one in the family... But when we moved here, my oldest was in second grade.

She so worried about going to a new school. No one knew her... would they even talk to the new kid? Well we are in the new "SW" section of Cinco Ranch. The majority of kids in her class at Griffin Elem (the new school) were BRAND NEW TOO!

So the stigma of being the new kid was non-existant...most everyone was the new kid. It leveled the playing field.

Now again, I know 2nd grade is nothing like high school. But I can guess that many teenagers at Taylor have grew up together since grade school and lived in their neighborhoods most their lives.

On the other hand, Seven Lakes HS pulls kids from the newer parts of Katy. Again, so many people have just moved here. So being the new kid wouldn't be too crazy different. These kids didn't spend years growing up together. Heck the elem, JrHi, & HS closest to Seven Lakes have only been around since 2005.

Good luck!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:34 PM

Interesting, I never thought about it that way.
Yeah, Taylor has been around forever.

I really like the Seven Lakes area, my godmother's aunt lives in the "Seven Meadows" neighborhood. I love it there but my father wouldn't want to live that far because he thinks it's a 'long' commute to Houston.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:41 PM

Check the zoning boundries at Katy ISD for Seven Lakes. It has wierd wonky boundries... most of Katy ISD actually has nonsense boundries... mainly based on subdivisions segregating themselves from each other and such nonsense.

For example, last I saw, may not be correct, Canyon Gate at Cinco Ranch (not part of the whole Cinco Ranch MPC, by the way) is east of Mason Rd, near Westpark tollway and they go to Seven Lakes. You may find that if your parents are considering housing near Cinco Ranch High School, that their commutes to work would be similar to some housing zoned to Seven Lakes.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:54 PM

Exactly!
but ironic here,

There are 2 apartment complexes in S Mason.
I think one is Oak Park Trails and the other is Cornerstone Ranch.

Anyways, they are RIGHT in front of each other and Oak Park Trails (the one being with the very high rent rate $$) is zoned to McMeans and Taylor. Cornerstone is zoned to Beck & Cinco. KISD is crazy

Old 10-10-2009, 08:24 PM

Oh lordy, don't get these South Katy homeowners all riled up about apartments. They hate 'em. They fear they will make their property values will plummet, They fuss and fret about sending their precious children to school with *too many* apartment children. You know, because apartment people are stupid, will bring down test scores and vandalize the heck out of the neighborhood & schools.

Nevermind, these complexes are ni-ice. The rents are high, and folks have to have reliable cars to get to their good jobs to pay for them. Far, far from ghetto. And because smart people who move here from far away would rather rent and scope out a place rather than be a fool and buy a home in a city they know squat about and "hope for the best."

So yes, folks bullied and bantered to keep out one apartment complex and then the next from their neighborhood school. Depending on "who won the fight," it makes the attendance boundries all wonky. As I said... it is nonsense.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:08 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
Maybe Katy parents are concerned about what will happen with these apartments in the future.

If they become run down & junky in 20 years, the concern about lowered property values are valid.

Right now they are nice/expensive & the tenants shouldn't be a problem for anyone. But considering the history of apartments that started out nice in Houston.....Katy residends have good reason to be weary of apartment complexes.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:16 PM

166 posts, read 899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildevited View Post
Well, my family and I have just moved to Katy, TX a month ago from Charlotte, NC. We love that Katy is convenient and diverse. We are living in an apartment for 12 months to test out the area and see if we want to make Katy our permanent residence. I've been looking into Cinco Ranch and it looks very nice. Top schools and nice houses. So which area do you recommend buying a house in?
Currently, I'm 16 and a sophomore at Taylor High. I have to say, I don't like the kids here. They all have their little groups of people and don't bother talking to new kids. So I'm also wondering if CRHS is any different.

*Thank y'all in advance.
I feel for you kiddo. I'm sure its not easy being the new kid, especially in high school. Do you play any sports? Being on a sports team (ie., football, baseball, soccer, volleyball, basketball, etc.) is a great way to make friends. Hope it works out for you. Hang in there and don't stray away to the wrong crowd.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 PM

Thanks previous poster.
I'm going to try and join some clubs, I just thought the transition would be easier.

By the way guys, I'm new to this forum/thread thing. So I was wondering, is there a way I can go back and check the threads/posts that I've started? I have to keep going back into Texas<Houston and then find mine from the bunch.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:08 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
Quote:
By the way guys, I'm new to this forum/thread thing. So I was wondering, is there a way I can go back and check the threads/posts that I've started? I have to keep going back into Texas<Houston and then find mine from the bunch.
Go to Thread Tools ( on the blue bar, right side), click on "Subscribe to this Thread" on the pull down menu, and then agree to subscribe to this thread. Then when you log back on, go to "Quick Links", then to "Subscribed Threads" and check on this thread or any subscribed thread.

Thanks for getting this thread up and going. I've been thinking of moving with my high school son to Katy, so I've been trying to figure out which Katy high school would be good for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston