Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:07 PM

17 posts, read 37,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't think they have but by teh time we know they will ahve satrted up amonth befre. When the fed wil raise interest rates is also a important factor;besides others.
Thanks, that's a good point. Then again, they may extend and sweeten the incentives for home buyers. Looking at my budget, I really won't be ready to buy until Nov/Dec anyway, so I might just take the gamble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Look at www.har.com I've fouind it to be pretty good. I had a 2/2 TH in River Oaks for about 250k, any less than that in those areas and its going to be sketchy. You may find a 2/1 in Midtown for 220k but not the place really for kids.
Really? 250k for a 2/2 isn't bad at all for that area. I'm not sure I even bothered to search River Oaks!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Don't fool with Trulia or Zillow or anything like that. Get your agent to run comps. You are looking at some of the most popular close in areas there are.

I would recommend you look just on the north side of Garden Oaks in Shepherd Park Plaza, Candlelight Plaza, and Candlelight Estates. These are less architecturally interesting than the typical Heights & Garden Oaks properties, but you can get a lot of square footage in some very nicely maintained areas and still be close in. You can run them on HAR and see.
Actually, after doing a bit of lurking, I'm starting to look at your area. Quick commute to the Med Center, doable drive to my son's school (I drive Binz to 18th st in the heights four times a day, at present) and shopping, people keep up their homes, and after fifteen years of my parents living off of 1960 and I45, I'm used to the block by block nature of Houston. There's a place on Glenvista I'd almost make on offer on tomorrow, if I could be sure of what the flyovers from Hobby are like at night. With where my parents lived, I got a couple of years back in the day of Intercontinental action, but they were a bit further away. Is it joltingly loud over there when you're in your house, does day or night make any difference with the numbers of flyovers, and would you be able to tolerate a neighbor who plays so far out in left field?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:49 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,524,426 times
There never was a slack in price in the prime areas. So, there's no bottoming out.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,524,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Don't fool with Trulia or Zillow or anything like that. Get your agent to run comps. You are looking at some of the most popular close in areas there are.

I would recommend you look just on the north side of Garden Oaks in Shepherd Park Plaza, Candlelight Plaza, and Candlelight Estates. These are less architecturally interesting than the typical Heights & Garden Oaks properties, but you can get a lot of square footage in some very nicely maintained areas and still be close in. You can run them on HAR and see.

Zillow. That Hack of a program. It's so far off in pricing around here...Talking 100's of thousands. Do they not pull in comp numbers at all.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:21 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,842,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distractedbyzombies View Post
Actually, after doing a bit of lurking, I'm starting to look at your area. Quick commute to the Med Center, doable drive to my son's school (I drive Binz to 18th st in the heights four times a day, at present) and shopping, people keep up their homes, and after fifteen years of my parents living off of 1960 and I45, I'm used to the block by block nature of Houston. There's a place on Glenvista I'd almost make on offer on tomorrow, if I could be sure of what the flyovers from Hobby are like at night. With where my parents lived, I got a couple of years back in the day of Intercontinental action, but they were a bit further away. Is it joltingly loud over there when you're in your house, does day or night make any difference with the numbers of flyovers, and would you be able to tolerate a neighbor who plays so far out in left field?
More or less the neighborhood sits in the "V" of the runways. Garden Villas and Meadowbrook freeway get more of the noise. There is one listed in there for $103,000 as Glenbrook but it is over in Meadowbrook so it gets more noise.

Every now and then, if they are re-striping the runways or changing bulbs, they sometimes divert the traffic to a N/S one that normally only does smaller private planes. Then you notice it. Otherwise really not much at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston