Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you save more money in Houston than in the state in which you previously lived?
More 17 70.83%
Less 5 20.83%
About the same 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:46 PM

967 posts, read 2,618,264 times

Advertisements

I'll bite...

For our situation, our dollar goes further here than where we come from before (husband & I both grew up in WA state, lived in MT for 2 years as a married couple too)

My husband is the main breadwinner (I work p/t retail)... his career and schooling is as a city planner. Here, he can work for an outside engineering firm, doing essentialy the same work for more money.

Do we save more now? Well not really. We've added 3 kids to the mix since we moved here 10 years ago. But in the PNW we wouldn't be able to afford a house, minivan, car, food and clothing for 5 nearly as easily on a city planner's salary. (there he would be paid less, but housing, etc... would cost more!)

Heck, do you have any idea how much I have saved in the past 9 years in not buying new snowboots and snow pants for 3 growing kids? Winter wear is way more expensive than cotton tee shirts! And snow tires? We used to have 2 sets of tires per vehicle... studded tires are not cheap either!

Living near the city (vs small towns) we drive less. Even with having a suburban commute to work... it is nothing like the long drives that were the norm in the PNW (50-80miles one way) for shopping, doctor appointments, etc... Now, if it can't be found in Houston, we don't need it!

For example, newly married, we needed a new mattress... we checked out the 2 stores in our current town, drove 40 mi away one weekend to check out another store, and yet another 60 mile trip to a different town the next weekend to find one that suited us. Compare that to Houston where you can just drive along I-45 and visit 10-15 mattress stores on one Saturday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 04:34 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,949,039 times
We definitely save (stash in the "bank") more money since we moved here. Our lifestyle is not more extravagant since we moved, but our dollar goes much farther, lasts MUCh longer here. So we have been putting money away and investing hand over fist. We know that someday we may have to move back north and may need to cut back a bit, so no reason to go nuts now just because we can afford it.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:50 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,011,941 times
Seems I'm able to bank more here as well. I dont have lots of shiny stuff though.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:01 PM

69 posts, read 246,947 times
I make more here; however, I have more expense here then back home in NY. So that leaves less savings.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:07 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,554,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymbd View Post
I make more here; however, I have more expense here then back home in NY. So that leaves less savings.
What expenses are these?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:39 PM

42 posts, read 125,221 times
My parents and I just moved from North Carolina. We spend A LOT more here. $1200 for a 3 bedroom apartment, which would have been $900 in NC in a nicer area. But we think it's worth it :]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston