Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:27 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,198,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
My husband has been offered a position with the federal govt' in the six figure range. However, this position will require us to move to the Washington D.C./Maryland area. We are both in our early 40's. We have two kids. Should we start over? I'm not even sure if we can sell our home in this economy. We would have no family in the D.C. area. I'm sure there are many people on this board who have taken this plunge. Do you regret it? What is your advice?
We moved from CA to DC when we were about your age. We were a few years older and our kids were almost gone except for our son, who was in highschool. Although we eventually moved from DC to Texas and probably would not want to return to DC we did not regret it as DC is a wonderful part of the country. So much of our history lies on the east coast and we took full advantage in our 7 years there.

Yes, as others have pointed out the cost of living is higher, but that shouldn't be your only concern. For the same salary that would be different. I just think it would be a great opportunity for your children. Someone mentioned taxes, I don't think so. They are very high in TX as well. Property taxes are about double in Texas over VA, and I believe sales taxes are also higher. Car registration is higher in VA/Md area. It is pretty well a wash I think. yes, they do have state income tax.

Another thing to think about, don't pay too much attention to the charts people use. They are simply a guide line, not the final word. There are so many variables that go into charts and stats. We have always found them to not really tell the entire story.

You mention MD/DC. would your husband be working in MD or DC. That would also make a difference.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 PM

99 posts, read 294,300 times
I am going to law school in West Virginia, and know of people who commute from Martinsburg, WV into DC everyday for work. Martinsburg may be one of the cheapest areas to live around the DC area but that is still a hour and change commute to work everyday. I also have family in the DC area that would love for the wife and I to settle down in this area. However, it is completely ridiculous to live in the Northeast these days with a family unless you are filthy rich or do not mind sitting in traffic for the rest of your life and being financially unstable. I am convinced that Texas has the best thing cooking with the low cost of living and decent pay scale. If you were young and single, this might be an ideal place to start a career while living in a box for an apartment along with a roommate, but when you start having kids the situation changes dramatically. For example, my brother-in-law bought a house in the Alexandria, VA area (DC suburb) for 400,000 but it was valued at 800,000. He bought it from a couple going through a divorce who wanted to get rid of it. He felt it was a steal, and I guess when he finally finishes paying it off it will be, but the house is only like 3000 square feet 4 bedroom and 2 bath. You could easily get that size home in Houston for 200,000 and right below that mark! I guess you can see where I am headed with this, but honestly it is just not worth the frantic lifestyle, loss of quality living, and the comfort level of being in a place where you are happy.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:13 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,692,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We moved from CA to DC when we were about your age. We were a few years older and our kids were almost gone except for our son, who was in highschool. Although we eventually moved from DC to Texas and probably would not want to return to DC we did not regret it as DC is a wonderful part of the country. So much of our history lies on the east coast and we took full advantage in our 7 years there.

Yes, as others have pointed out the cost of living is higher, but that shouldn't be your only concern. For the same salary that would be different. I just think it would be a great opportunity for your children. Someone mentioned taxes, I don't think so. They are very high in TX as well. Property taxes are about double in Texas over VA, and I believe sales taxes are also higher. Car registration is higher in VA/Md area. It is pretty well a wash I think. yes, they do have state income tax.

Another thing to think about, don't pay too much attention to the charts people use. They are simply a guide line, not the final word. There are so many variables that go into charts and stats. We have always found them to not really tell the entire story.

You mention MD/DC. would your husband be working in MD or DC. That would also make a difference.

Nita
I paid 4.5% Maryland state income taxes and Montgomery County (where we lived) has property tax at 2.88%. Ugly 1950's era houses run about $300k. It most definitely is not a wash when it comes to taxes. And when you figure the equivalent to a $300k house in Silver Spring, MD runs about $150k in Houston, well, you get the idea. The DC area is much more expensive than Houston, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:30 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,253,493 times
Moderator cut: off topic

Our neice and her husband and 4 kids moved 50 mi. south of DC a couple of years ago for his work (federal)....she had never had to work before and they had a nice lifestyle previously in MS and GA and FL......expenses are so high in VA that, even with a nice raise for him, she's had to go to work full-time, and they live in a house that has to be put back together every time the wind blows (and it's 45 minutes away from work). They are a conservative young couple and have not found many like-minded people that they care to socialize with. Her parents moved up there when they did....their little retirement community house is new but cheaply built (but not cheaply priced) and they now spend all their available funds just for living expenses....no more fun travels for them.

Last edited by Chickrae; 09-30-2009 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston