Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 08:33 AM

5 posts, read 11,722 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are in early 50s and transferring to Pasadena. Any help with apartments, condos or townhouses for rent would be appreciated. Looking for 3 bedrooms. What areas should we be looking in? No children at home so schools are not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioturtle View Post
Hubby and I are in early 50s and transferring to Pasadena. Any help with apartments, condos or townhouses for rent would be appreciated. Looking for 3 bedrooms. What areas should we be looking in? No children at home so schools are not an issue.
The main of Pasadena is OK in a folksy blue-collar sort of way but it's just in too close of proximity to the sulfurous-smelling refineries and petrochemical complexes. There's a lot less day-to-day pollution than there was when I first moved to the area but every now and then somebody screws up or something breaks and you have one of those durn'd burn'd "incidents" that puts a couple of thousand tons of sulfuric acid and toulene or something in the air ... Just too much drama for me.

I'd live in that far south corner of Pasadena near Clear Lake if I were you or even in one of the mid rise condo's on Clear Lake itself in Clear Lake City - it would still be an easy commute. Also, Morgan's Point is a little gem of a community right on Galveston Bay, no condos/apts but you might be able to find a small house in your price range or if it's too expensive in adjacent LaPorte or Deer Park.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:00 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
If you choose Pasadena - I would select the area along Fairmont Parkway between BW-8 and Red Bluff or even into Deer Park. This a nice area, far enough from industry. There are some "luxury" apts. on Fairmont The Park at Fairmont, 6060 Fairmont Parkway. They are also building some new ones at Genoa-Red Bluff and Red Bluff that look like they will be luxury as well - not sure of what the pricing will be but they are located right on a great hike and bike trail along Armand Bayou (if you are into bicycling or walking - this thing is really nice. There are some condos on Fairmont Parkway that are individually owned Walnut Hill that are gated, low crime and fairly nice - built in early 1980's. Usually to get one of those, they have adds posted on the bulletin board by the gates- but you could probably call the homeowners office and ask her what rentals are available and she could go look for you. What price range do you want to rent in and that would probably help people advise you. Clear Lake is very nice and lots of apts. to choose from in varying ranges. Deer Park is another decent area adjacent to Pasadena. Hard to tell where one ends and the other begins in the Fairmont area. There is an apt. complex next door to Walnut Hill Condos that is for residents 50+ only that looks fairly nice and well kept.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 11,722 times
Thanks for your help. We are looking in the $1200 mo. range. Pearland looks to be an option also. Thanks again.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:19 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioturtle View Post
Thanks for your help. We are looking in the $1200 mo. range. Pearland looks to be an option also. Thanks again.
For a couple w/o kids. You would like Clear Lake or League City better I bet. Another option is the midtown/med center area of Houston. It is not really a bad drive at all from Montrose to Pasadena. I did it for 16 years. The reverse commute is 30 minutes tops and is actually much better than the commute from Friendswood, League City, and Pearland if you ask my coworkers.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:51 PM

If I were in my 50's and 1200 a month was my price range - I'd look in Clear Lake. I think it is Village on the Lake on Space Center Blvd. near Nasa Pkwy. is very nice. It is right next to Armandwilde mediterranean townhomes. There are several Armand titles in the area but this one is the nicer one. Easy commute to Pasadena - straight shot down Space Center Blvd. and would take but a few minutes. And this place on Nasa Pkwy. near space center looks to be great. It is being built but looks near completion. Nassau Town Square

Last edited by texas7; 09-27-2009 at 04:37 PM..

Old 09-27-2009, 04:45 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Some people actually like to live in the same community that they work. I don't know why so many people are trying to get the to commute from Clear Lake, League City, Montrose, Midtown, and the Medical Center. They can find great places to live right there in Pasadena with the budget they have to work with. I'd much prefer a 5 or 10 minute commute over a 30 minute commute.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:50 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I'm going with Polltracker and texas7 on this one. Though weshou is right too about the short ride. Clear Lake is nice with more apartments then you can shake a stick at and all are nice. What I have seen and smelled of Pasadena I can't say anything good about it. I drive through there often and the stench reminds me of growing up in NJ with the stench on the northern end of the NJTP from the refineries. Doing 70 on 225 I can drive out of the smell. I think about those who live there and can not drive away but can only tape up their windows.

Why not La Port or Baytown? It don't stink there and it's still close. Clear Lake seems to be the best bet and still have under a half hour drive.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:01 PM

Pasadena is fine on the Fairmont end with no smell and no nearby refineries. Homes are nice and many are working professionals. Several NASA contractors, etc. Commuting from Clear Lake is not much of a commute -- will take about 10 minutes from Nasa Pkwy if you go straight down Space Center Blvd. which goes all the way to Pasadena. I go that route all the time.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:17 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,755 times
You should also consider Deer Park. Right down 225.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston