Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 01:28 PM

70 posts, read 180,753 times

Advertisements

What is traffic like right after a Texans game? Is making it to IAH and returning my rental car in an hour a reasonable expectation? I notice Google maps has it pegged at 36 minutes (Reliant to IAH), but I have read a lot about Houston traffic so I am not too sure what to expect - but at least it is on a Sunday!

Also, for those that go to the games, would anyone suggest parking somewhere and taking the metro to the stadium? Or would I be best served to purchase a parking pass if I am worried about time after the game?

Thanks so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 01:30 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,519,633 times
It takes me 45 minutes to get out of the Yellow Lot everytime. You may want to leave before the 4th quarter. Once out of the lot, it's no big deal.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:40 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,591,403 times
I've never timed it but it could be possible to get out of the stadium faster if parking at the South Fannin park and ride which is at the southern end of the light rail. Ride the rail just to the other side of 610, then you've just got to hike across the lot to Reliant. Going out, you would just do the same thing to ride back to your car. Then you just go up Fannin, take a right on the feeder road to get on the 610 onramp east to 288/59 and you're home free. You've bypassed the quagmire on Main, Kirby etc. which is where you would probably be otherwise. Generally, freeway traffic isn't too bad on Sundays where there isn't some kind of special event like a Texans game. This might take you right at an hour, considering the hike to the light rail, but you move faster through a crowded parking lot on foot than you do in a car. I do anyway.

Your parking rate and METRO ticket wouldn't be more than what you'd be paying to park at any of the Reliant lots.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:40 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,956,862 times
An hour might be pushing it, but it depends on the game. If its a blow out then the traffic would be spread out more.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:08 PM

jfre81, thanks for the tip there. I think that makes total sense. That way I am south of all the commotion (all the Reliant parking lots are north of 610) and I could just scoot over to 288.

It says the train comes every 12 minutes, so worst case I miss the train and wait an extra 12 mins. From that station it should be fairly close to what google would say I bet (35-40 mins).

I wonder how early I would have to be to get a spot in that park & ride? For a noon hour game, would 10am suffice? It's only $3/day (unless it is jacked up for gamedays), which is much cheaper than the reserved parking at the stadium that I have seen for $40+.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 AM

344 posts, read 1,251,822 times
I think it's $10 on game days.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,311,150 times
Take the traffic at the 'Dome or Northlands, multiply that by four, and keep the surface streets the same.

Figure out how long that will take to get from Stampede Park to the Airport, and you'll be close.

If you are at Reliant, figure on 2+ Hours. The drive in no traffic from Reliant to IAH is about 1/2 an hour.

Taking the Metro, imagine the C-Train with only two cars, on a platform the size of one downtown. Good in theory, not so great in execution.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:09 AM

Hey Mike, I live in Calgary, so I understand your analogies. Thanks for bringing that up. I will have to make some sort of decision - too bad there aren't any later flights.

Much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston