Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 06:14 PM

913 posts, read 4,342,974 times

Advertisements

1. Would you install a mosaic in your house? In the hall, living room or a master bathroom? What is your attitude towards it?

I have done some research and realized that mosaic floor or wall embedded mosaic (geometric, Greek-style or modern) is not too expensive for a middle-class houses. Say, 40" panel would start from $400 + installation (it can be a DIY job too).

A pool incrusted with mosaic at the bottom is also very hot. It looks really fancy. Generally speaking, I think a mosaic (just like a large tasteful painting) makes a house look more expensive.

2. How many houses did you see in Houston with mosaic interior? I have practically seen none, so is it just me or a general attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:27 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
A mosaic of any sort is very taste-specific, and is great if you like it. But since it is a personal design decision, it is one of those things that will likely bring a frown to potential buyers' faces when they think how expensive it will be to undo.

IMO, your money would be beter spent on art (that goes with you when you sell).

Old 09-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
A mosaic of any sort is very taste-specific, and is great if you like it. But since it is a personal design decision, it is one of those things that will likely bring a frown to potential buyers' faces when they think how expensive it will be to undo.

Agreed on an embedded mosaic. However there is a mosaic on a board, which is basically an installation kind. Or a mosaic painting. So it is easy to take it off with you.

My question is more about :
1. if responders like it as a form of interior design and they would spend money on it
2. if they saw it at others homes

Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I might enjoy a mosaic in the kitchen...perhaps behind the range or the sink.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
I love mosaics and would definitely love one in my home. I've thought about it for a future bathroom remodel. I think it also might look cool in an entryway. Not my style to have it on the wall. Pebble mosaics = very cool for an outdoor space. I was also looking into techniques for replicating a floor from a house in Roman Britain... kind of like stained concrete with pebbles in it.

I've never seen one in a house, though I've looked at a number of houses. But most people play it pretty safe in decorating. I say go for it, if you like it.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
There was one house I came across in Glenbrook that had an old mosaic tile floor in the entry. The house next door had this same treatment in the den floor. There is some sort of "official" name for this type of pattern, but I can't remember it and will have to ask.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I might enjoy a mosaic in the kitchen...perhaps behind the range or the sink.
Yes, I like small kitchen mosaic, to compliment the rest of the design. Tile is OK, and marble is the best.

http://64.26.26.139/ebay/PICT00212.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-21-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I love mosaics and would definitely love one in my home. I've thought about it for a future bathroom remodel. I think it also might look cool in an entryway. Not my style to have it on the wall. Pebble mosaics = very cool for an outdoor space. I was also looking into techniques for replicating a floor from a house in Roman Britain... kind of like stained concrete with pebbles in it.

I've never seen one in a house, though I've looked at a number of houses. But most people play it pretty safe in decorating. I say go for it, if you like it.
As far as the entry way, I think a modest medallion (round shaped mosaic) would be good. Not too kitsch or overdone, but a good addition to a good marble floor.

Bathroom too. There are plenty of good examples online.

http://www.phoenicianarts.com/images/Bath5.jpg (broken link)

The problem with some owners is that they overdo it. Huge boards kill the rest of the design.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:39 AM

860 posts, read 1,584,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post

I agree completely with travelguy. I've seen custom mosaics in extremely high-end houses that were complete turn-offs when the original owners put the houses up for sale. Of course, people who are paying $1 mil plus for a pre-owned house can afford to tear out and replace such things, but for most home buyers it would be another unwanted expense.

BTW, even those trendy decorative tile insets above kitchen ranges are starting to lose popularity with top notch interior designers. In another couple of years, they'll be passe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston