Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 21,845 times

Advertisements

I am totally running blind here. My husband works and lives in Katy (Falcon Point area) and my 19 year old son wishes to go out to Katy to spend some time with his dad and also study whilst he is there. He done well in British GCSE's and got 3 AS levels but did not gain A2 levels. He has spent the past year doing a mechanical engineering course in UK and simply cannot find a job (things are tough here at the moment).

My question is does anyone know what the procedure is for enrollment etc etc and which colleges would be reccomended in the Katy area. (he is wishing to further his art and design). Plus anymore information you can give me. I have'nt got a clue where to start so any information will be greatly appreciated. He has an interview date at the USA embassy for an L2 Visa and is hoping to return to Houston with his dad after dad has been home to Norfolk for Christmas.

Thanks in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:00 PM

913 posts, read 4,347,169 times
I am not form Katy, but here what I can help with:

Colleges:
katy, tx college - Google Maps

...or check what is available in a greater Houston area (which is 15-30 min drive)

houston, tx college - Google Maps

Among them the HCC (Houston Community College) would probably be the cheapest. Pls note that non-residents pay more for their semester than locals. (resident = 1 year or residence).

Old 09-21-2009, 06:29 PM

447 posts, read 1,767,063 times
You might want to check out community colleges. As one whose children attended schools in both countries, there are some significant differences. Community colleges (two years that will transfer to 4 year programs) will give him time to acclimate to the different systems. Community colleges generally have smaller classes, which is helpful.

Your son will be out of district for all colleges in the States. However, since his dad lives here, you might want to check it out.

Does your son want to live on campus or with his dad? Living with his dad will mean driving-- the closest community colleges will be LoneStar. If he chooses to live on campus (then no driving) there is Wharton Jr. College, Blinn Jr. College and others

That doesn't mean that he wouldn't be able to cope with the 4 year schools. Just remember he will have to take admission tests (SAT usually)--but there is University of Houston, Houston Baptist University, Rice University.

There is also the private Art Institute of Houston- two year program

Old 09-21-2009, 06:53 PM

2,551 posts, read 4,058,951 times
University of Houston has a great School of Art. The Architecture school has courses in design. Check them out online.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:44 AM

4 posts, read 21,845 times
Thank you very much for all your replies and information. I have looks at all the options online and have sent off emails to request details etc. I am starting to understand the system much better now. I think at this stage he is wishing to stay with Dad (USA is all going to be a bit new to him) for the time being so perhaps he may have to drive to study elsewhere.
Thank you again for taking the time to reply, I am so pleased that forums like this exist as I was completely clueless!!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 AM

860 posts, read 1,587,458 times
Community colleges are well worth investigating. Their courses for credit (as opposed to their non-college-credit vocational or personal enrichment courses) are usually designed to transfer to universities in Texas if your son decides to go for a 4-year degree here in the U.S. Some large cities - San Francisco, New York and Chicago come to mind - have highly-respected professional art schools which offer 4-year degree programs similar to those at universities. There isn't one in Houston. Also, the Glassell School at the Houston Museum of Fine Arts has classes taught by top-notch professionals. Some colleges and universities will consider classes taken there as credit toward a degree.

Be sure your son brings his school credentials with him to the U.S. as well as his portfolio...he should ask if a CD or DVD of his work will be acceptable.

My career is in the visual arts and Art Institute of Houston would be quite far down on my list of places to study. However, they do have a fine culinary arts program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston