Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:12 PM

36 posts, read 111,677 times

Advertisements

What is the trend in color on kitchen cabinets these days?
Any opinions on very, very dark brown colored cabinets (color: English leather....almost black but not quite)

Has anyone built with Perry recently who has chosen the Kent Moore cabinets instead of the job built custom ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:08 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,182,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFEdoc View Post
What is the trend in color on kitchen cabinets these days?
Any opinions on very, very dark brown colored cabinets (color: English leather....almost black but not quite)

Has anyone built with Perry recently who has chosen the Kent Moore cabinets instead of the job built custom ones?
We chose the job-build custom cabinets because they came with a backing inside (not just a cabinet where you can see the drywall in the back, Kent Moore has backing too) and our decor is more Western/Country which didn't bode well for Kent Moore offerings. They are dark walnut stained. Great cabinets, but we had to demand that the cabinet crew come back twice to correct the polyurethane finish as it was runny and and showed tear drops. They fixed it, and they look great.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,691,360 times
For a complete answer see my recent post here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...y-kitchen.html

Don't listen to the spammer above. He is talking about the colors of Chinese manufacturers he sells. Merlot used to be the top selling color. No more, not even close and I don't believe it ever was the top color in Texas.

The following is not from my head or what customers are saying, but right from the professional trade journals. The number 1 selling door style in North America is Shaker doors which account for almost 60% of all cabinet sales in Canada and the USA. Wood species no matter. Almost half of all cabinet sales today is some shade of very dark brown. Mochas and expressos and the like. Oak is and always will be the top selling wood species. Not because people necessarily like oak, but because it is the least expensive wood species so that is what the Builders will offer you. Cherry is every ones favorite but is the 3rd best seller in North America, likely because of it's high cost.

For the record since this is a constant argument... white cabinets account for just 7% of total sales in North America. They are ugly and out of style. Kent Moore Cabs is a hunk of junk too. It's just a mass produced garage built site built cabinet. They use a very inferior finish too. Go look for yourself. Today's cabinet buyers demand an Ethan Allen furniture finish. Chinese brands and Kent Moore can not offer that.

Those job built or site built cabinets only known in Texas are commonly called but incorrectly called custom cabinets. They ARE NOT custom cabinets. They are painted wooden boxes. They are completely nonfunctional and have more flaws then the govt. This site built crap is a black eye on every tradesman in the world. Do not support these unlicensed idiots.

Stay away from those ads that advertise a whole entire cherry wood kitchen for $895 such as the spammer above is famous for. Those cabinets are infested with enough formaldehyde and sulfur to kill a small child with weakened immune system. There are almost as many documented deaths due to Chinese cabinet exposure as there is exposure to Chinese drywall. It ain't worth it.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,246,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Those job built or site built cabinets only known in Texas are commonly called but incorrectly called custom cabinets. They ARE NOT custom cabinets. They are painted wooden boxes. They are completely nonfunctional and have more flaws then the govt. This site built crap is a black eye on every tradesman in the world. Do not support these unlicensed idiots.
I'm always amazed when I walk thru an inner-city custom built home, and I see these cheap, painted crap boxes, that the owners brag about being "custom cabinets".

You are absolutely correct, they are not custom cabinets. They are painted boxes. I just remodeled my home, and spent a small fortune on cabinets. But I also understand what real cabinets look like, and what they offer, and how long the finish lasts, etc etc. And when people walk thru our home, they love our cabinets. It's not that they know what we spent or anything, I think they just subconsciously see how much prettier they are than white boxes.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,182,551 times
Quote:
You sound more knowledgable than I am, but I sat in the garage and watched these guys cut and assemble the boxes, router and dado the door panels, and tack it all together from unfinished wood. They may be "built to suit" and not "custom" per se, but I don't think they're "painted boxes".

I hope you're not sayin' I'm a spammer. Sheesh.

But, like I said, what do I know.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm always amazed when I walk thru an inner-city custom built home, and I see these cheap, painted crap boxes, that the owners brag about being "custom cabinets".

You are absolutely correct, they are not custom cabinets. They are painted boxes. I just remodeled my home, and spent a small fortune on cabinets. But I also understand what real cabinets look like, and what they offer, and how long the finish lasts, etc etc. And when people walk thru our home, they love our cabinets. It's not that they know what we spent or anything, I think they just subconsciously see how much prettier they are than white boxes.
Thanks astrohip. You can appreciate quality and craftsmanship when you see it. You and I are alone when we drive by Walmart to buy our goods and services. I harp on this subject in my book and on my web site...I'm quite passionate about it. If you are ever in the Galleria come by and say hello.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
You sound more knowledgable than I am, but I sat in the garage and watched these guys cut and assemble the boxes, router and dado the door panels, and tack it all together from unfinished wood. They may be "built to suit" and not "custom" per se, but I don't think they're "painted boxes".

But, like I said, what do I know.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
Don't put yourself down Ronnie. If you saw the difference you would know. The definition of the word "custom" is varied but no where is that word stretched to new lengths as in Texas when it comes to cabinets.

Good day to ya!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,387,626 times
Default White Cabinets

Quote:
For a complete answer see my recent post here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...y-kitchen.html

For the record since this is a constant argument... white cabinets account for just 7% of total sales in North America. They are ugly and out of style.
White cabnets may be "out of style" but I constantly see them in kitchen mags and other design magazines. My daughter recently received a beautiful new catalog from Sub Zero appliances and they featured several white kitchens.

I think some people must still like them.

As far as shaker style cabinets go, I guess they match the current trend in "Pottery Barn" decorating among the younger set.

Good luck to those people who put in the mocha and dark cabinets--fun keeping them dust and fingerprint free!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 PM

166 posts, read 900,054 times
Quote:
Don't put yourself down Ronnie. If you saw the difference you would know. The definition of the word "custom" is varied but no where is that word stretched to new lengths as in Texas when it comes to cabinets.

Good day to ya!

Desertsun, why do you always get your panties in a bunch and accuse everyone else of being spammers when they talk about other brands or "custom" cabinets other than the brand that you sell (Masco or whatever its called)... I recall getting a similar response from you being accused of a spammer when I mentioned Benedettini did our cabinets and I was impressed with them. Trust me, I have no relation or vested interest in them, just a happy customer.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratfordspartans View Post
Desertsun, why do you always get your panties in a bunch and accuse everyone else of being spammers when they talk about other brands or "custom" cabinets other than the brand that you sell (Masco or whatever its called)... I recall getting a similar response from you being accused of a spammer when I mentioned Benedettini did our cabinets and I was impressed with them. Trust me, I have no relation or vested interest in them, just a happy customer.
The post I was referring to was blatent spam and advertising. His city data name was his store name. The mods deleted his post and his account which explains your confusion. No I never put you or your other company down. I explained my problems with the Texas site built and the China brands, neither refer to you but did point at the spammer. So carry on................................................ ...

To the poster above you (forgot their name) white cabinets account for just 7% if total North American sales but they account for about 80% of all photographs in design magazines. What does that mean? Who knows. Maybe that very few people like white but they take good photographs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: