Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:13 PM

363 posts, read 1,147,226 times

Advertisements

Public schools are paid for by your tax $ and neighborhoods are zoned to certain schools. Private school are "out of pocket" expenses and can run anywhere from about $5K -$18K a year per child. What you want in regards to schooling for your children will proabably dictate your decision on where you want to live.

Has anyone told you about www.har.com? You can get all kinds Houston specific information on the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 AM

6 posts, read 25,437 times
thanks so much 'maybe so' for suggesting the website. I will check it out.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:23 AM

2,551 posts, read 4,060,106 times
Try 77079, schools zoned to Barbara Bush elementary in HISD. It's supposed to be a good neighborhood and good schools. Your budget should get you something nice there, and you won't have to pay for private schools. Downside is, of course, your commute to UH/Rice.

I second the advice above about looking at Sugarland, too. Good schools, affordable houses, and your commute to UH/Rice wouldn't be as bad as from Katy (do yourself a favor and don't move all the way to Katy). Plus a diverse population where you'll find plenty of South Asians, if that is of interest to you.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:44 AM

31 posts, read 59,102 times
Hi - I'm originally from Canada (moved from Calgary in 2001) so hopefully I can help with some school advice.

When we lived in Calgary - my kids went to private Christian schools for a couple of reasons. First the public schools were exclusively teaching whole language rather than phonics and I wanted my kids to learn how to read, that and I lived in NW Calgary - Citadel actually, and the kids were to be bussed to Rosehill Elementary in SW Calgary, and the kids were only bussed one way for 1/2 day kindergarten. That and the parents were having problems with the kids getting bullied at the school and the school wouldn't do anything about it. So fast forward to our experience in the US....

Public schools - in the right school district - are much superior here than in Canada. I found that in Canada the kids migrated to the lowest common denominator and a pass was a 50. Here the kids strive for A's, anything under a C is considered a fail.

I live in the Sweetwater area of Sugar Land and chose Ft Bend's Clements High School for my daughter's to go to school - because it was one of the top high schools in Texas. If you choose to live in Sugar Land, your best bet is to choose an elementary school within Ft Bend school district that feeds into either Clements or Austin High Schools.

In order to register in the school YOU MUST PROVE RESIDENCY. You must bring in a copy of your lease (and it MUST be zoned to that school) or your purchase agreement, and utility bills. If you rent in another area and intend to buy a house in a particular school district THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT YOUR CHILDREN. You MUST live in the school district - and they do not have ANY exceptions. Your kids will also need to have physicals from your doctor and complete vaccination records. Be sure to bring all your previous school records with you. Make sure you call the school direct to confirm what you'll need to register.

If I think of anything else I'll repost - good luck!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 AM

31 posts, read 59,102 times
You can also look to www.greatschools.net Which gives a break down and rating of the schools. I wouldn't use the parental ratings as a guide to the schools though - most are reviews given by students. Look to the break down of teacher experience and TAKS scores. Also there is a very accurate ethnic diversity break down.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:33 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,295,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Try 77079, schools zoned to Barbara Bush elementary in HISD. It's supposed to be a good neighborhood and good schools. .
77079 is zoned for SBISD and the schools are very good

Old 09-21-2009, 11:20 AM

2,551 posts, read 4,060,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
77079 is zoned for SBISD and the schools are very good
Sorry, it may be 77077.... my point is that the area zoned to Barbara Bush is relatively affordable, and it's a good school. SBISD can be much more expensive, so I was pointing out a less expensive option nearby.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 AM

482 posts, read 875,973 times
Texas rates it's schools "Exemplary", "Recognized", "Academically Acceptable" and "Not Acceptable" or something like that. I'm going off the top of my head here. Point being, Texas has already rated it's schools you just need to find one that you want. This can change from year to year so look for the constant achievers.

As a general rule, the best schools will be in the better districts which can help you find a place to live. Look for the most amount of top-rated schools. Every school district will have a webpage discussing all the facts of each school. GL

Old 10-04-2009, 11:52 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,214,016 times
If you want to live in the Energy Cooridor in 77079 - it will be close to your husband's office and be less of a commute than Katy for you. It is in the Spring Branch School District. It is the only area of Spring Branch District that is excellent, mostly because it is surrounded by nice homes.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,516,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
If you want to live in the Energy Cooridor in 77079 - it will be close to your husband's office and be less of a commute than Katy for you. It is in the Spring Branch School District. It is the only area of Spring Branch District that is excellent, mostly because it is surrounded by nice homes.

HUh? So The schools in the Memorial Villages are Bad? And over in Spring Valley, that are zoned to Memorial High?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston