Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 AM

193 posts, read 437,975 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, first of all, I wanted to check in and say hi again. My wife and I made the move to Katy at the end of August and have been settling in. We've met some very friendly people in our apartment complex and my co-workers are great. Unfortunately I don't think our California plates have endeared us much to some but we're working on getting that fixed.

I would appreciate any advice you folks could offer in regard to my commute. We are living in Katy, in an apartment complex near I-10 between the Westgreen and Mason exits and I work in Bellaire. For my current commute, I'm leaving about 7 AM and riding I-10 to 610 S to Bellaire. Evidently so does everybody else.

I did get a TxTag and by riding the Katy Tollway I'm finding my commute to be about 35-40 min door to door, which was the normal for me back in California (though I could hit 1:30 on certain days). If I don't ride the tollway, it seems to be taking about an hour, maybe a little more.

I head home about 6 PM and traffic is managable without riding the Katy Tollway, once I get off of 610 that is. Is there a better route for getting to Bellaire? I've toyed with the idea of doubling back and taking the Grand Parkway to the Westpark Tollway to avoid having to slog through 610 traffic. I also notice that Westheimer runs all the way east, is taking that a feasible route?

I'd like to avoid paying toll if I have to, I'd rather keep paying the toll one way than sit on the Katy Parking Lot...I mean Freeway. It's about the same as a bridge toll back home anyways.

Now of course there is always the option of moving closer to work once our lease is up. Let's just say, I don't think that's a realistic option.

Thanks for any advice you folks can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,308,241 times
Why did you move to Katy if you dont have kids? I would move closer asap

Old 09-16-2009, 10:35 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,460,659 times
Sounds like you are living at my old apartment complex, Nottingham Place.
When I lived there I used to commute to and from the Galleria area, which is not far from Bellaire.
The only advice I can give you is to leave the house as early as possible.
I used to leave the house at 6:30 every morning and traffic was very manageable on I-10 at that time.
Even the traffic on 610 was okay around 7:00am.
Heading back home is another story.
I used to take the Westpark Tollway from the Galleria area and get off on Mason.
Of course, you could always get off on the Grand Parkway, but you're just heading further west than you need to and that's also an extra toll you have to pay.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Why did you move to Katy if you dont have kids? I would move closer asap
It's what fits our needs the best. My commute wasn't the only consideration. Moving won't be happening any time soon, we just signed a year lease at the end of August and we're not about to break it unless we buy a house.

Thanks RVD for the advice. Leaving earlier is probably the easiest option...assuming I can get over the fact that mornings and I aren't exactly compatible with each other.

About what time does 10 Westbound start backing up?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:05 PM

443 posts, read 1,796,546 times
I would leave earlier. Sounds like you're take the best route.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:07 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,554,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post

About what time does 10 Westbound start backing up?

About 6am...but it clears up again at 4am for about 15 minutes.

Starts to get slow around 4pm. Worse after Dairy Ashford though.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:08 PM

Thanks again everyone. Looks like I'll just need to work on leaving earlier. I work a 9 hour day but am flexible with my hours and when I can leave. I'm sure I'll find that right combination.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:24 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,947,442 times
My husband leaves the house around 6:30 and he says the difference is amazing how much less traffic there is on I-10 and 610...he says even 6:45 is much better than 7am. He also leaves a little early to try to beat the 5:00 traffic...he works in Galleria and tries to leave the garage by 4:45....he says if he waits till 5pm the traffic just leaving the Williams Tower garage is unbelievable.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:53 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,460,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
My husband leaves the house around 6:30 and he says the difference is amazing how much less traffic there is on I-10 and 610...he says even 6:45 is much better than 7am. He also leaves a little early to try to beat the 5:00 traffic...he works in Galleria and tries to leave the garage by 4:45....he says if he waits till 5pm the traffic just leaving the Williams Tower garage is unbelievable.
Yes, its amazing how leaving just a few minutes earlier from work and home will cut down on your commute time in this city.
I live in the Cinco Ranch area and work downtown.
I try to be out the door by 6:45 in the mornings and try to leave work around 4:30.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:13 AM

I tried leaving at 6 this morning and pulled into work at 6:30 on the nose. Not too bad at all. Thanks again everyone now excuse me while I go get another cup of coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston