Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:50 PM

49 posts, read 153,289 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering as to what are the best and safest neighborhoods to live in near the coast? I have 2 children and I will likely rent at first and buy later after I get established in Texas. I'm thinking Corpus Christi or Houston, whichever has the best COL and employment opportunities. I am a real estate agent (somewhat new) do home staging on the side and will have my BA by the time I get to Texas, any info or suggestions would be helpful. I'm even willing to live in the outskirts of a town as long as it is near the Ocean, as it is the main reason I am choosing to move to Texas. On that note what areas between Houston and Corpus Christi are the safest and most diverse? I am a divorced mother with two children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,589,840 times
La Marque is pretty nice & so is Texas City

Old 09-11-2009, 08:28 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,723,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
La Marque is pretty nice & so is Texas City

Yikes! Compared to what, Port Arthur???

Old 09-11-2009, 08:32 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,589,840 times
Clear Lake is getting $$$ to live there

Old 09-11-2009, 08:36 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,723,537 times
In the Clear Lake area you can find a reasonable place in Webster.

I understand Lake Jackson is a nice town, if a little far from things.

BTW, Texas doesn't have an ocean; it's a gulf. Personally I feel a lot smaller when I stand on the ocean shore vs the gulf.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,871,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yikes! Compared to what, Port Arthur???
lol

maybe a fishing village in India.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
BTW, Texas doesn't have an ocean; it's a gulf. Personally I feel a lot smaller when I stand on the ocean shore vs the gulf.
Gulf = Ocean

Its a lot bigger when you're out on the open waters vs. seeing it on a map.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:52 AM

Also, by best COL Im not referring to cheap, as money is not really much of an issue regarding my move. Im doing quite well where I live at now but hate the snowy, cold winters. I vacationed on the Oregon Coast and loved the ocean just not the cold and knew I would be moving somewhere near the ocean next. As I mentioned before, Oregon is too cold, and California is rediculously expensive dirty and overcrowded, The third nearest place to my friends and family is Texas and it seems to be a place where you get your moneys worth plus beautiful and warm, this is what has attracted me to the Texas area mainly. Thank you

Old 09-12-2009, 12:58 AM

Oh and BTW a co-worker of mine has been taking great pleasure in enlightening me with horror stories of huge insects in the Texas area, he was born there. Hes telling me the fire ants are huge, tarantulas hang out on your walls, scorpions chill on your porch, and lizards like to hop into bed with you, not to mention the creepy stories about droves of indestructible roaches everywhere and the giant flying roaches who like to fly at your face, is he just pulling my leg, or is this for real????!!!! My 9-year-old hates the bugs we run into here and would freak out if a giant roach flew at her head, lol! are these "giant" bugs able to be controlled by pest companies or not? Thanks

Old 09-12-2009, 05:43 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,227,127 times
I've never seen a scorpion or a tarantuala (not a native species), but regular house spiders, roaches, mosquitos are pretty tough cookies around here. The lizards and snakes just stop by to eat the above. Never found one in my bed though, nor have I found any snakes in the house. Except for the mosquitoes, it is not as bad as all that and is generally controllable but you will still get guests from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston