Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 04:00 PM

101 posts, read 476,576 times

Advertisements

Hello. Can anyone give me some recommendations for contractors for residential renovations/remodeling? My parents home in the Hobby Airport area is mold and mildew infested in the both bathrooms and seems now in master closets.

And top of that needs remodeling and renovations. The kitchen, AC system, windows, flooring, panelled walls needs a professional to look at for updating, remodeling. We're thinking about going to Lowe's or Home Depot. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 PM

809 posts, read 3,573,154 times
I have used Millbrook-Construction Remodeling Contractor in Houston, Tx - Millbrook-Construction in the past. I'm not sure if they do mold remediation, but the definitely do remodeling and renovations.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:16 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,841,452 times
try southeast drywall, off Dillon, 713-649-4883. Ask for Chris Kimble.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:12 PM

344 posts, read 1,188,391 times
I highly recommend Angie's List as a resource for picking any kind of contractor. Started using it two-three years ago and I've been very pleased with the companies I've chosen. It costs around $30 for a year membership.

Consumer reviews on contractors, plumbers, dentists, doctors | Angieslist.com | Angie's List

Old 09-09-2009, 08:34 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,696,756 times
Those who know me and my expert advice from this forums HOME and INTERIOR DESIGN forums know who I am. I dont like too many of these clowns who call themselves contractors. I can say these guys have been more professional then anyone I have worked with thus far. BlueBay Construction - General Construction Contracting and Remodeling Service, Serving the Houston and Galveston Area. I am not part of them nor do I get anything from them. I'm just giving advice. I only have worked with them and they are among the few who impress me. That's amost impossible to do.

The above advice to look at Angies list is not very valuble since it is too new for there to be enough listings to be of any value. Besides, some of the good reviews are all done by friends and family. Quite the scam huh.

DO NOT call any of those contractor referral services. Any dumbo can pay a fee to join and no checks are done on the contractor. The short amount of time these referral services are open seems to speak volumes of their value.

Do not let anyone tell you that being a member of the BBB holds any value either. All a business has to do is pay the annual $400 fee to be a member. A simple backround check is done by the BBB. A business who is a member of the BBB does not suggest any degree of quality despite what the public is led to believe.

Beware of Craigslist listings for contractors. Nothing else needs to be said on that scam list.

Make damn sure anyone you are considering to use is licensed properly. Contractor licensing is pretty new to Texas and is a bit costly so some contractors just say to hell with it. Being insured and bonded is also a must for larger jobs.

Be careful no one trys to put anything made in China into your home. No cabinets and no drywall. They are so infested with sulfur which melts the copper wire in your walls and such high levels of formaldehyde that your family will get asthma at best and die a horrible death at worse.

Choose with your gut, dont let price guide you. Cheap is not always best. And in this economic depression everyone and their brother who owns a pick up truck and a tool box is calling themselves a contractor.

Beware and dont be a victim. Good news is most of the storm chasers have all gone home. The IKE rebuilding is over.

And good luck !

Old 09-10-2009, 07:28 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,297,637 times
The House Surgeon out of Pearland

Old 09-18-2010, 06:00 PM

101 posts, read 476,576 times
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! DesertSun41...I appreciate the details...really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston