Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:43 AM

12 posts, read 26,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Hey. I have been to Vancouver a couple of times while visiting a friend in Seattle and can tell you that Houston and Vancouver are very different. Both have advantages, but they are different.

Houston has more crime than Vancouver, but that's going to be the case with most large American cities when compared to Canadian cities. Basically for large American cities it is pretty average. Gangs are around but no worse than what you get in any large American city.

Ethnically, Vancouver has a much more international feel but surprisingly Houston has a large Asian population. Just nowhere near the Asian influence that Vancouver has. When I first drove into Vancouver and looked at the skyline it immediately made me think of Asia. Houston's just not like that.

Houston is a much bigger city, both population and in total area. But it is also a sun belt city, so it's VERY sprawling; think LA but more spread out. You are not going to get the walkable streets like you do in Vancouver. Not sure if you are going to have a car in Houston but it will be very hard to get around without one. The public transit system in Houston stinks, especially when compared to what you get in Canadian cities. That's a big negative, at least in my book.

The weather, well....during the summer Houston is miserable. Horribly hot and humid. You will be crying for the summer back in the Pacific Northwest. That being said the winters in Houston are extremely mild and most wouldn't call it a winter at all. As far as rain, Houston may get more total rain but it comes in huge downpours not the constant spitting you get in places like Seattle and Vancouver.

The other huge difference is, although Houston is also a port and located on a bay, the city doesn't have anything near the natural beauty or outdoors mentality you get in the Pacific Northwest. Camping, hiking, etc is simply not as popular in Houston. No mountains, very little public land, no wilderness areas, a lot more industry but at least the water is warm enough to swim in! The water is a lot dirtier though but not all of it is man-made pollution (thankfully!). Because of all the rivers dumping silt into the Gulf of Mexico (exhibit A being the Mississippi), the water is brown. Nothing like the blue water you get in Vancouver.

Finally, the people in Texas are of course much different. They are VERY nice and may seem alarmingly nice to the more reserved mentality you get in the Pacific Northwest. Some would even call Texans loud mouths. But they really are nice people and very friendly. There are other differences, like Houston is much less health conscious than Vancouver (more fried foods, grease, beef, etc). As you would expect Houston is MUCH more conservative politically and socially than Vancouver as well. Sometimes they are also a bit provincial and untraveled. You will find people who never have left the State of Texas and will be openly proud of that fact. But again they are very nice and always there for a smile.

Anyway, hope this helps. Sounds like quite an adventure. Good luck! I sure hope to make it up to Vancouver again VERY soon!
Not true, I've lived in Houston for about 10 years, some winters it can get as cold as 40F in the day, and into the 20s at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 10:36 AM

1,227 posts, read 3,015,733 times
I lived in the 77003 Zip. It's where Minuite Maid Park is. I lived in the Loft's at the Ballpark across the street. Is this where you are going to be living? Deffinately a "Major" change from Vancouver. You can make the best of it, but not near as nice as Vancouver. The Papa's BBQ Downtown has great breakfast!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 AM

134 posts, read 326,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisnameisnottaken View Post
Not true, I've lived in Houston for about 10 years, some winters it can get as cold as 40F in the day, and into the 20s at night.
It's over 70 degrees right now and it will be in the 70's all weekend.

I rest my case.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:47 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,701,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2008 View Post

I rest my case.
70s yea but so much rain that we will be stuck indoors anyway. So it might as well be too cold to go out just the same.

Besides people, you are arguing about a post that is more then a year and a half old. The OP has not been back since. I do wonder how he made out.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,259,491 times
Quote:

I rest my case.
omg you must be dieing in such horrible weather, especially when you could be outside shoveling snow in below freezing weather. poor you.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM

12 posts, read 26,857 times
Quote:

I rest my case.
True, but it isn't always that warm

Old 01-03-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
omg you must be dieing in such horrible weather, especially when you could be outside shoveling snow in below freezing weather. poor you.
My point was that the weather during the winter in Houston is mild in response to another poster that stated that it was "not true."

Reading comprehension...

Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisnameisnottaken View Post
True, but it isn't always that warm
Average temps in January are in the 60's...that is warm.

In the main, Houston winters are a breeze and extremely pleasant.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:50 PM

756 posts, read 1,884,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I lived in the 77003 Zip. It's where Minuite Maid Park is. I lived in the Loft's at the Ballpark across the street. Is this where you are going to be living? Deffinately a "Major" change from Vancouver. You can make the best of it, but not near as nice as Vancouver. The Papa's BBQ Downtown has great breakfast!
My words of advice are to avoid living in Lofts at the Ballpark like the plague. Crime is bad, walls paper thin, management lathergic, parties that go on all night on the weekends, skinny dipping in the pool, cigarette butts, beer bottles, and trash all over the hallways. That place was a nightmare.

You're going to find Houston's inner loop very liberal and not all that religious outside of the Catholic East End. You will nevertheless have a wide variety of choices to make your church choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston