Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times

Advertisements

Has anyone looked at the local news the last 24 hours?

Maybe the would-be criminals need to...

74-year-old man shoots Houston carjacker, neighbors call him a hero

Suspected thief shot in attempted break-in of home of a former Harris County sheriff's deputy

Houston officer shoots at intruder in his apartment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:36 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
LOL...I love this one!
Especially the part about the robber leaving his pants behind, because he couldn't keep them up!
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6543768.html

Old 07-24-2009, 04:44 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
I agree. But the real crimanals you usually have to look at the end of the news cast........if it is even mentioned.

Officer Arrested, Released On Bond - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/20171222/detail.html - broken link)

Wrongful Imprisonment Trial Ending - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/19827347/detail.html - broken link)

Old 07-24-2009, 05:06 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
I live two houses down from that 74-year old man. And I survived an attempted carjacking four years ago. I was stopped at a light, behind another car, at Beechnut and Dairy Ashford on a Sunday afternoon when my car was bumped from behind. I figured it was an accident, but then I was bumped four more times in quick succession. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw five big guys get out of the car and stand there. My car was blocked on all sides so I couldnt drive off. I was too mad to be scared right then. I had just had lasik surgery and had a pair of safety goggles (for protection against the wind) in the front seat. I put the goggles on very fast and then grabbed a black eyeglass case. I held that eyeglass case in both hands as though it were a gun and aimed it at the five men. The cowards ran off onto a field, leaving their old car behind. I drove off when the light changed.

In retrospect, I know that was a dumb thing to do. If they'd had a gun and/or called my bluff, I'd have been SOL. But we have to realize that, most of the time, no one is going to protect us but ourselves. The next time someone tries to carjack me or break into my house, he'll find an unpleasant, permanent surprise waiting for him.

desertsun, I usually agree with you but not this time. I feel bad for anyone who's wrongly imprisoned and, of course, crooked cops are wrong -- but I'm more concerned with "real criminals" who are a danger to my life and property.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I live two houses down from that 74-year old man. And I survived an attempted carjacking four years ago. I was stopped at a light, behind another car, at Beechnut and Dairy Ashford on a Sunday afternoon when my car was bumped from behind. I figured it was an accident, but then I was bumped four more times in quick succession. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw five big guys get out of the car and stand there. My car was blocked on all sides so I couldnt drive off. I was too mad to be scared right then. I had just had lasik surgery and had a pair of safety goggles (for protection against the wind) in the front seat. I put the goggles on very fast and then grabbed a black eyeglass case. I held that eyeglass case in both hands as though it were a gun and aimed it at the five men. The cowards ran off onto a field, leaving their old car behind. I drove off when the light changed.

In retrospect, I know that was a dumb thing to do. If they'd had a gun and/or called my bluff, I'd have been SOL. But we have to realize that, most of the time, no one is going to protect us but ourselves. The next time someone tries to carjack me or break into my house, he'll find an unpleasant, permanent surprise waiting for him.

desertsun, I usually agree with you but not this time. I feel bad for anyone who's wrongly imprisoned and, of course, crooked cops are wrong -- but I'm more concerned with "real criminals" who are a danger to my life and property.
You are right.. we always agree on many issues. And partly now too. I have no place in my world for those who threaten me harm either but I also have no place for those who threaten my liberty and freedom. I also get upset that some brush off the pigs who commit crimes with the same ol response that it's just one bad one. One?

Anyway, good day to you my friend !

Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
And to you. I still cant rep you.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:59 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times
Wow. Another one.

Officer shoots suspected burglar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: