Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,450 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for buying home in Sugar Land and I am considering both existing and new homes. I want to start out first with new homes and don't think that I will need an agent to search for a new built home.
My question is when dealing with builders, do I get a better deal if I don't have an agent. Will builder take into account the 3% saving that they normally pay to the buyer agent (if I have one) at closing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 01:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
No they will not discount you the 3% and it is important to have someone represent your needs even on a new build.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:29 PM

95 posts, read 438,463 times
buying a home w/o a realtor is like entering a lawsuit w/o a lawyer, except you dont have to pay the realtor, the builder/seller does.

just my 2 cents

Old 07-12-2009, 03:54 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Most will give you the 3% but you will have to fight hard with them about it. Easiest thing to do is if you have a friend who is a RE Broker then just put their name down and have them cut you a check back less their taxes they owe on it. That is what I did. Just make sure you have good comps so you don't overpay, that is really the only thing an agent is going to do for you if you buy new.

Also note that many builders now give over 3% to agents or 3% +x dollars and you can negotiate with an agent to give you a rebate of the overage so that is sort of the best of both worlds.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,450 times
Thank you all for the good advises. I've never bought a home from builders before and not sure what a buyer agent will help. I can and prefer to do all the researches and dealing with builders myself.
I will search for an agent who is willing to work with me, and as "chris_ut" advised, the agent will probably in a better position to negotiate 3% commission with builders.
Chris also said "Just make sure you have good comps so you don't overpay". I am not sure if I understand what it means.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:24 PM

99 posts, read 367,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Ph View Post
Thank you all for the good advises. I've never bought a home from builders before and not sure what a buyer agent will help. I can and prefer to do all the researches and dealing with builders myself.
I will search for an agent who is willing to work with me, and as "chris_ut" advised, the agent will probably in a better position to negotiate 3% commission with builders.
Chris also said "Just make sure you have good comps so you don't overpay". I am not sure if I understand what it means.

If you don't know what he means by "good comps" then you especially need to find an agent.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 12,445 times
comps are comparable sales in the neighborhood, i.e. what a similar house to yours has sold for recently. If you are unable to find this out on your own I recommend you use an agent.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:57 AM

469 posts, read 1,485,256 times
Houston is a unique market where you truly will not get the builder to give you the 3% in excess of anything you could have gotten simply by bargaining. Those builders that would cut prices if a buyer came direct got killed during the oil bust. So, now the builders that have worked a long time in the Houston market will not give you the break on the commission because they do not want to have word get out that they are doing so. This includes the national builders that have been in the market for sometime. Now you might be able to get something done if you use a newer national builder, but I would not hold my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: