Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:16 PM

36 posts, read 118,829 times

Advertisements

I am looking to join either the Houstonian Club or the Briar Club. I am looking for a nice place to work out, great tennis facilities, and a nice outdoor pool to enjoy (for hanging out and drinking a beer, not for swiming laps). I do not have kids, so kids programs are not an issue for me. Please let me know if anyone has information on these clubs. Specifically, how much are the initiation fees and monthly dues. I am under 35, and I know the Briar club has a junior membership. Any information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:07 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Houstonian has more singles and IMO is less expensive than Briar Club. The Briar Club has a min purchase per month along with dues.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:43 AM

381 posts, read 1,233,694 times
Houstonian is nicer all around. Briar is redoing tennis courts and has lots of construction, which menas it will be nicer when complete - but I love the "oasis" feeling of the Houstonian.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 48,291 times
Did you join a club yet?

There is an awesome club on top of the Galleria called The Galleria Tennis and Athletic Club (GTAC). The initiation is cheaper than both the two clubs you mentioned, it has 9 indoor courts, brilliant athletic gym, single dues are $299 for everything tennis and gym, it's cheaper if you just want the gym, much cheaper, I know they have a deal for people under 35. They have a swimming pool, a track around the glass which looks into the mall, spinning, pilates. They've got a formal restaurant and a snack bar downstairs still full service. It has a bar upstairs. The two professionals running the place are ex touring pros, the atmosphere is unbelievable. if beer is your thing then this is definitely your club. Also you cannot sell your membership at the Briarclub or The Houstonian, which are both nice clubs, (do you want organised tennis play?, you have opportunity to invest with The GTAC. I was blown away when I walked in!!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 87,226 times
Have you joined a club yet?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 AM

739 posts, read 2,135,074 times
I prefer the Houstonian.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Houstonian.
I belonged to it as a Junior member for almost 15 years. It also has golf perks.

As to the Galleria club...is that the old University Club? Very small and you have to deal with the Galleria Parking Garage parking after dark. No thanks.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:29 AM

2 posts, read 87,226 times
dddd24dddd, Check with Elizabeth Griffin, membership director for initial fees and monthly dues at the Briar Club. The Briar Club is very family oriented, although there are some singles there too. I don't know too much of the Houstonian.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
I've been a member of the Briar Club for 20+ years. I'm very happy with it.

I know many people who are members of the Houstonian, and they are happy too. In fact, our son worked as a lifeguard there a few summers ago.

They are both excellent places, but I can't speak for the money comparison as I don't know anything about what the H charges.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:36 AM
gwm

1 posts, read 43,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD24DDDD View Post
I am looking to join either the Houstonian Club or the Briar Club. I am looking for a nice place to work out, great tennis facilities, and a nice outdoor pool to enjoy (for hanging out and drinking a beer, not for swiming laps). I do not have kids, so kids programs are not an issue for me. Please let me know if anyone has information on these clubs. Specifically, how much are the initiation fees and monthly dues. I am under 35, and I know the Briar club has a junior membership. Any information is appreciated.
I joined The Houstonian when I was single for the very reason you describe. Now with children, we've been to the Briar Club many times with parents of our kids friends and it seems very kid oriented. While The Houstonian does have many more kid activities than when I first joined, I find the Houstonian much more adult oriented. In fact, we'd love to be members of Briar instead of Houstonian so maybe you'd be interested in our m/s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston