Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:46 AM

156 posts, read 511,170 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Charlotte, NC (okay Fort mill, SC area) and moved here last summer from Sugar Land. Sugar Land is the place to be. It has EVERYTHING - great schools, great shopping, a Lifetime Fitness, a Whole Foods market, hospitals, a branch of the University of Houston....I could go on. When I lived in Sugar Land, everything was 5 miles away from where I lived. Where I am now I am often told I have to drive 15 miles to Rea Rd. to get to specific stores.

Don't get me wrong, I like where I am living now. I do miss Sugar Land though. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 09:44 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie5 View Post
I currently live in Charlotte, NC (okay Fort mill, SC area) and moved here last summer from Sugar Land. Sugar Land is the place to be. It has EVERYTHING - great schools, great shopping, a Lifetime Fitness, a Whole Foods market, hospitals, a branch of the University of Houston....I could go on. When I lived in Sugar Land, everything was 5 miles away from where I lived. Where I am now I am often told I have to drive 15 miles to Rea Rd. to get to specific stores.

Don't get me wrong, I like where I am living now. I do miss Sugar Land though. Good luck!

Brief thread hijack...Sophie, why did you move from Sugar Land (where I live) to Fort Mill? A friend of mine who is a flight attendant said many of her (close to retirement) fellow attendants were living or moving there. Low cost of living, pleasant environment, etc. (Or so she said.)

Just curious about your reasons, if you care to share. The town name jumped out at me.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:40 AM

The company my husband worked for while we lived in Houston is based in Fort Mill, SC. They offered him a position at the corporate office so here we are! Yes there are many folks retiring here, as well as in other parts of Charlotte and the Carolinas. The low cost of living is all relative. It's cheaper than New York and New Jersey, but not as cheap as TX. It is a lovely area - small town feel near a lake, trees..etc. I do drive less for my everyday errands, but I miss the amount of shopping I had in Sugar Land...

So sal329, living in Sugar Land is great... But living there and working there is a amazing!

Old 05-31-2009, 12:10 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I drove through Englewood Estates in Sugar Land yesterday and found it very nice!

Old 06-04-2009, 04:55 PM

216 posts, read 701,386 times
Thank you Sophie, I lived in Rock Hill from Oct 07 until Feb 09. I worked in Charlotte and was laid off in Dec 08, I now live in Belmont. I have turned my hobby of car detailing into a business but in this area it is very slow, I would love to make this my career but with having a family of 4 it is hard to take the time I would need to build it up right now. So we have decided for me to look out of NC for work and so far have an interview in Sugar Land, Austin and Shreveport LA

Old 06-05-2009, 03:47 AM

Yes, the economy seems tougher here than further down south. I've lived in both Sugar Land and Austin. I think the cost of living in TX is cheaper than up here. The property taxes are higher, but there is no state income tax. Housing is a little less expensive in the Houston area compared to Austin. Austin probably feels more like Charlotte size-wise, and has lakes as well. Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:23 PM

182 posts, read 768,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier1774 View Post
I don't know about all that. New Territory has a pretty much everything with in area to do mundane errands. They have grocery stores, Hollywood video, fast food, etc. Sure First Colony is the center, but only at 6 & 59. it can take quite a while for people in the majority of FC to get to that location. From NT you have 2 ways to get to 59 now depending on where you live.
Four, actually.

90A East
99 (Grand Parkway) South
New Territory Blvd / Univerisity Blvd S
New Territory Blvd / University Blvd N / Hwy 6 S (though not recommended)

It would be nice to have a decent "bar" around here though.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:30 PM

21 posts, read 180,756 times
As part of my work, I travel all over the greater Houston area and stay very aware of residential and commercial developments. The two suburban Houston areas that truly stand on their own as complete cities with everything you need are The Woodlands and Sugar Land. The Woodlands is nice, but it's just too far away. Sugar Land edges out The Woodlands for me because it is closer to downtown Houston, has mostly oak trees instead of mostly pine trees, has a Whole Foods, and has more a more diverse population. Also, talking to parents in these two communities, I keep seeing a theme in the Woodlands where the kids' lives are completely planned out with activities from sunup to sundown, and all the kids have to have the latest (fill in the blank) that everyone else at school has. Not that this does not happen in Sugar Land, too (or most anywhere, for that matter) but it seems to be more common in The Woodlands. You will love Sugar Land. Check out Greatwood. It's an established, large, master-planned community in Sugar Land with a golf course, three pools, tennis courts, walking trails, a duck pond, numerous playgrounds, huge old oak trees everywhere, and friendly, diverse neighbors. No apartments, but there are nice homes here and there to rent. I live at the very back, which is where the more recently built homes are, and it takes me 10 minutes or less to get to Sugar Land Town Square, Whole Foods, the mall, etc. I agree with the other poster who suggests renting a house, but if you want an apartment, there are brand new apartments in River Park West along Hwy 59 just past the Grand Parkway (99) and some older apartment complexes in Sugar Land proper. Or you could rent an apartment right there in Town Square and be right in the middle of it all. The kids would love being able to walk downstairs for some Ben and Jerry's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston