Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 05:34 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,612,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Try Afton Oaks, too. That neighborhood is in the middle of Greenway Plaza, just off of Richmond Avenue.
A great choice. I think Greenway Plaza is quite possibly my favorite place to be in the entire city. Especially at night .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 PM

944 posts, read 3,073,793 times
Thanks to all! And to mpope, I didn't mean to offend you at all. Three robberies just sounded so extreme, even for a city cat. Maybe I'll just have to become Carrie Bradshaw (from Sex and the City) and get mugged of my handbag and designer shoes every now and then

Old 04-12-2007, 10:28 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,872,278 times
Afton Oaks is a wonderful area, I lived there for about 5 years, however, it does not fit what the poster has asked for when he said relatively affordable. At least to me an area where the vast majority of the homes are over $500,000 doesn't really fit that definition. You can buy a "tear down" in there for in the low $300's or maybe spend $350 to $400k on something facing Richmond Avenue, a very busy 6 lane street. There might be one or two that can be had under $400,000. But you certainly wouldn't have a lot of choices. Certainly nothing if you are wanting to stay under $300,000.

People who have never set foot in areas like Idylwood for example, will be very quick to direct you to points west because they have no real knowledge of some of the nice areas to the east. Personally I don't see the point of going west unless you feel the need to be closer to the Galleria than to your job.

Everyone has different priorities and tastes, but since you would be working at U of H, I would encourage you to talk to people at the University, and drive some of these areas at night and/or dusk to get a feel for them and see what you think before deciding on areas that are a farther commute and less architecturally interesting for the money.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Thanks to all! And to mpope, I didn't mean to offend you at all. Three robberies just sounded so extreme, even for a city cat. Maybe I'll just have to become Carrie Bradshaw (from Sex and the City) and get mugged of my handbag and designer shoes every now and then
Yeah, well that's all it was, a mugging. It wasn't a break-in or anything like that. If I experienced a break-in more than three times, there's no chance I would stay in that neighborhood, only because I work hard for everything I have.

...and I hate Sex and the City

Old 04-13-2007, 08:11 AM

76 posts, read 390,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
A great choice. I think Greenway Plaza is quite possibly my favorite place to be in the entire city. Especially at night .
Greenway Plaza is AWESOME, I love that area

Old 04-28-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
Are you kidding me? Neighborhoods/housing surrounding the campus are HORRID. It's super dangerous to venture into the neighborhoods around UH. The dorms are old, but not dangerous and filled with drug dealers, like 3rd ward wrapping around UH is. You've obviously never been to Scott St or Telephone Rd.....
I just noticed you put that. Telephone Rd isn't anywhere near the U of H campus.

But in my opinion, the best way to put it is that the area surrounding the TSU campus is the "bad" part. Not really UH. Texas Southern is smack-dab in the Ghetto.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:40 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,735,909 times
There are some very nice areas near UH and TSU and some that are not-so-nice. My daughter used to attend the Catholic Montessori school a couple blocks away from TSU. I felt more unsafe living in the Montrose and the Heights than I ever did in Third Ward and I like all three neighborhoods. Like someone else said, it really is a block-by-block adventure. That's just urban living for you. If you're not cut out for it, you won't like it. I'll take the energy, the history, and the colorful characters of neighborhoods like that to the blandness of the 'burbs any day. To each her own.

Last edited by houstoner; 04-29-2007 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: adding a neighborhood

Old 04-29-2007, 10:09 AM

61 posts, read 352,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
No, like most of the areas closer in it can be a "block-by-block adventure" because of our lack of zoning, where you have good areas next to bad. If someone has a Katy-Spring-Sugarland mentality there is very little over there that someone like that would find appealing. It is better suited for more urban minded people....(you know who you are)!
Very Well stated. "block-by-block-adventure": good way of putting it. Which is very very true of this area. But I must agree, the Univ. Oak division just south of UofH is quite stable and very nice.

And to Visitor2007, just because an area may be classified as a "ghetto" (whatever in the heck that means), does not necessarily make it dangerous. Kinda of partial against the 3rd Ward aye

Old 04-29-2007, 11:04 AM

61 posts, read 352,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
Stay away from areas near UH. I've gone to school there and trust me, everything surrounding it is GHETTO. Plenty of my friends have gotten robbed, held up a gunpoint, carjacked. etc. by "gangstaz" coming in from 3rd ward. Do yourself a favor and move to the Heights or something with less violent crime and crackheads.
Ever heard of anyone getting robbed in the Galleria or Sharstown area. Probably NOT if one chooses to use look at events selectively or with a narrow myopic view. So far as your Heights being totally safe and untainted with crime, please read the story about a couple killed in their nice upscale townhouse http://www.khou.com/news/local/houstonmetro/stories/khou051222_ac_floydshooting.d1a756.html (broken link). Or, if you will, lookup all the illicit behaviors in and around the trails Memorial Park. Also, within 1 mile of the campus along S & N MacGregor, there is some of the largest homes in Houston and the majority are non-white (since the 1950's)

And to all others, I know that I have selected a few aberrant events, but it is just to show that violence does happen everywhere

Also, remember: "STATISTICS DONT LIE, IT'S THE INTERPETOR OR THE INTERPREATION THAT DOES"

Old 04-29-2007, 11:57 AM

2,629 posts, read 8,872,278 times
So what did the original poster end up doing? Did you take the job at U of H or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston