Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 PM

18 posts, read 65,078 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking this forum and living in the city for a few months now. I am very happy with my decision to live in Houston, but am having a tough time deciding where to live permanently once my family arrives this summer. We are looking for something under $235000 and would greatly prefer, due to schools, something in the better areas of Spring Branch ISD. Katy and other areas are very nice, but they are TOO FAR!

The options south of I-10 are limited to townhomes and less-popular subdivisions like Nottingham West and Thornwood. OK with school diversity there...in fact it's a plus...but not crazy about apartment-area crime. Sherwood Oaks looks like a nice option; good homes, nice experience driving through, and zoned to Stratford and Spring Forest. The hangup we have is around the elementary school; it is like 90% economically disadvantaged. This seems very out of step with the neighborhood itself and the new townhomes nearby, but not with the rundown apartments located very nearby.

I have two very young kids and wonder where do the Sherwood Oaks kids I see in the neighborhood attend school? It sure doesn't seem like Sherwood Elementary. Terrace, which is nearby, seems to have a little more diverse mix of students, looks like a better option, and is accepting new kids. The "high-class" SBISD schools like Rummel Creek and Frotwood appear closed to transfers. Any opinions or thoughts on the issue would help, because we love everything else abouth this nabe (except for the hideous strip center outside the entrance from I-10). SBISD north of I-10 has some awesome neighborhoods, a nice middle-class Hispanic presence, and seems poised for a revitalization if the messes on Gessner and Long Point ever clean up. But our young kids' education cannot suffer while we are waiting for things to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,716,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma019 View Post
I've been lurking this forum and living in the city for a few months now. I am very happy with my decision to live in Houston, but am having a tough time deciding where to live permanently once my family arrives this summer. We are looking for something under $235000 and would greatly prefer, due to schools, something in the better areas of Spring Branch ISD. Katy and other areas are very nice, but they are TOO FAR!

The options south of I-10 are limited to townhomes and less-popular subdivisions like Nottingham West and Thornwood. OK with school diversity there...in fact it's a plus...but not crazy about apartment-area crime. Sherwood Oaks looks like a nice option; good homes, nice experience driving through, and zoned to Stratford and Spring Forest. The hangup we have is around the elementary school; it is like 90% economically disadvantaged. This seems very out of step with the neighborhood itself and the new townhomes nearby, but not with the rundown apartments located very nearby.

I have two very young kids and wonder where do the Sherwood Oaks kids I see in the neighborhood attend school? It sure doesn't seem like Sherwood Elementary. Terrace, which is nearby, seems to have a little more diverse mix of students, looks like a better option, and is accepting new kids. The "high-class" SBISD schools like Rummel Creek and Frotwood appear closed to transfers. Any opinions or thoughts on the issue would help, because we love everything else abouth this nabe (except for the hideous strip center outside the entrance from I-10). SBISD north of I-10 has some awesome neighborhoods, a nice middle-class Hispanic presence, and seems poised for a revitalization if the messes on Gessner and Long Point ever clean up. But our young kids' education cannot suffer while we are waiting for things to change.
My vote for your price range is Nottingham West for Wilchester Elementary. It's 100% equal to Rummel Creek and Frostwood for scores & demographics. The neighborhood is pulling in young families who want the schools & they are doing adorable things with those little houses. Yes, these better Elementary schools don't take transfers and haven't for years. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,547,023 times
You know what, Elementry schools are all fine. Social problems really don't start in that age group.... It's Middle school that you have watch out for. All SBISD schools provide the same exact education, it's just parental involvement that differs from school to school. Find out which mom is head of the PTO for Sherwood and talk to her. talk to the principal and be honest with your concerns, I'm sure they will give you good advice.

Nottingham West is fine, but heavy traffic and near a glut of apartments. I wouldn't rank it much higher than those areas zoned to Sherwood. It may have more appreciation due to the fact it's on the South side....but look at the new builds. They are selling in the 500's, while if they were east of Kirkwood they would be double. So...is it REALLY THAT desirable?

It looks like you get less traffic and more lot size in Sherwood and have the same middle and high school. Granted, I haven't been through that area in years so I don't know what it looks like. But if you feel it's safe and clean, I wouldn't hesitate. It's your life too and if your kids end up in the same Middle and High Schools as the South side it sounds like a good deal for you. JMHO

I would think Sherwood would be fine if you like the neighborhood. The parent reviews are glowing. The low income probably keeps the TAKS scores and ratings down, but the kids are getting excellent instruction it seems. If it's zoned to Spring Forest Middle then you have the whole thing worked out.

PS- I just looked at crime maps, and that part of 77043 is WAY quieter than the Nottingham West area...hands down. Amazingly the whole zip has far less going on than 77079, west of Kirkwood.

PSS- I wouldn't worry about the strip mall. Look at the enterence to Nottingham Forest off Memorial (350 and up). Yikes!

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 05-06-2009 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: I'm just so full of info and opinions!!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM

I suggest you tour Sherwood & Terrace as well as Wilchester, Rummel Creek & Frostwood. Really you will get a very different feel once you spend some time observing the students & teachers vs. reading stats on paper. Personally, I would choose the best school fit for my kids, then find a house in that school zone. Lots of parents in SBISD choose to live in a smaller but pricier home specifically for the top schools. The parental involvment in the top schools provides kids with many "extras" not offered in the lower end schools via private donations & fund raisers. Lots of extra computer lab programs, science labs, reading experts, field trips,full time "in-class" parent volunteers, teachers get nice Christmas bonuses........all provided by parents, these things make a difference.
You asked where the Sherwood Oaks Kids go to school???? They mostly go to private. :-)
If you ever consider Nottingham West be sure to not to buy on a cut through street.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the point/counterpoint on this issue. SBISD is tough, becuase there is a big mismatch between the schools I think would be best for my kids and my ability to afford those areas. That said, I'm not expecting a mansion in Piney Point, just a nice small ranch west of Gessner that's not a prime candidate to end up on the police blotter.

I am concerned about the elementary schools because my kids are used to a high standard and as, new residents, I am concerned about their ability to befriend kids from significantly different social classes - upward or downward. Within my price range, compromises must be made and the options look like partially questionable schools, apparent high crime risk, or adequate space (townhome). None of these is entirely appealing. Hopefully, just one property mitigating these drawbacks will come on the market soon to alleviate the situation for us. Otherwise, we'll begrudgingly need to look for the comparable exurb with the least-awful commute; probably Sugar Land. Thanks again for your input.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
My vote for your price range is Nottingham West for Wilchester Elementary. It's 100% equal to Rummel Creek and Frostwood for scores & demographics. The neighborhood is pulling in young families who want the schools & they are doing adorable things with those little houses. Yes, these better Elementary schools don't take transfers and haven't for years. Best of luck to you.
I like this neighborhood, but the interior homes are going in the $269000 range - about $35000 above our max.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma019 View Post
I like this neighborhood, but the interior homes are going in the $269000 range - about $35000 above our max.
I have a suggestion.....write a letter of intent to purchase a home & deliver to homes that aren't on the market. You may find someone who's about to list & without realtor fees, possibly be in your range. It happens around here! Good luck.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,985 times
Default Sherwood Oaks Elementary

This school has been undergoing serious improvments for the past two years. They just received their 2009 ranking at it is EXEMPLARY. This is the highest you can receive. They have brought in I-Touches to the class rooms for interactive learning along with other numerous updates. The school population is on the smaller size, but I was amazed at the transfers that came in for this year. Two teachers moved here to put their kids in Sherwood Oaks Elem. Word is getting out about this school and the small quiet Sherwood Oaks neighborhood it serves. This neighborhood is the best deal left in Houston. Easy drive to down town and Galleria, sits right off the beltway and I-10, zoned for Spring Forest Middle and Stratford High. Most of these homes sit on 9,000 sf lots to 15,000 sf lots and are still priced in the mid $200,000's. Builders are coming in and putting up 4,000 sf homes priced $500,000 and up along Upton St and Sherwood Forest has 4 new developments of gated townhome communities that are selling fast. This area is getting hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston