Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,547,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
Didn't say it was a Mexican baby....I said the news on Fox 26 said the family was visiting Houston/Brownsville from Mexico....I know I know...Mexican/Mexico, but they didn't give a race.

So can we no longer go out for Mexican Food? Or do we have to say "Cuisine Visiting from Mexico?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:19 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,547,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

oh great. so they couldn't treat/give it Tamiflu in Brownsville? They had to transport to Houston......I thought the whole idea was to isolate the infected people, not drive them all over the US.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:26 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,860,759 times
Every few years there is a particularly bad flu season and this is just another one of those, deaths included. Our government is being very irresponsible by creating a panic mode and setting the stage for a massive imposition of control over yet another aspect of American life. Do you remember when we were all going to die from bee stings inflicted by those vicious African bees that were swarming north? Anybody you know dying from that? Every year there is some strain or other of the flu going around and this is the "flu de jour" for 2009. To minimize further exposure the responsible thing for our government to do would be to seal the border and screen incoming passengers from Central America (Mexico) but that isn't happening thanks to the Obama administration (Janet Napolitano).

From the acting director of the CDC:
"Seasonal flu each year causes tens of thousands of deaths in this country -- on average, about 36,000 deaths," Besser said. "And so this flu virus in the United States, as we're looking at it, is not acting very differently from what we saw during the flu season."

Last edited by Redrover; 04-29-2009 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: new information

Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,244,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
oh great. so they couldn't treat/give it Tamiflu in Brownsville? They had to transport to Houston......I thought the whole idea was to isolate the infected people, not drive them all over the US.
Take it a step back EA, why was this sick child allowed in the US? Why did it not receive treatment in Mexico? Perhaps it was not showing symptoms when it crossed the border, who knows?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,968,622 times
I heard on the news here in Dallas about this earlier this morning. They didn't give a whole lot of details at all.

My question: Mexico is a BIG country. When we report a death to a disease here in the U.S. we ALWAYS say what STATE it occured. Why can't the media do the same for Mexico? This would at least let us know WHERE IN Mexico it is happening.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:44 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,321,687 times
Alright people enough bashing on Obama & whos fault it is the cure for it is Thieves oil 99.96 effective better than any drug they will give to you. Be Proactive instead reacting.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:13 AM

354 posts, read 2,433,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
So can we no longer go out for Mexican Food? Or do we have to say "Cuisine Visiting from Mexico?"
The only point I was eluding to is that not everyone residing in Mexico is of Mexican descent.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 AM

354 posts, read 2,433,139 times
I also read that it may have all started as early as February in La Gloria, Mexico.

Swine flu's ground zero? (http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/international/int_ap_mexico_swine_flus_ground_zero_200904281441_ 2353372 - broken link)

Old 04-29-2009, 10:36 AM

47 posts, read 147,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
We walked out of a restaurant about 3 months ago, because my husband followed one of the cooks/chiefs out of the restroom and he saw he never bothered to wash his hands! GAG! We had already ordered...but paid for our drinks and left! Told the Mgr. on the way out.
I'm sure this happens more than any of us even want to think about!

Most places have sinks in the back where the workers wash their hands right before touching the food.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:38 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,288,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
First death reported in Texas. Heard on Fox 26 news that the death was in Houston. Apparently a 23 month old baby that was visiting from Mexico.

Officials confront first US death from swine flu (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu - broken link)

Yes it is now the H1N1 flu.
My mom called me last night freaking out saying "Boy people is dying down there! You need to be careful and come back home!" and I'm like "but I'm in college..." LOL

She than went into details about how I need to protect myelf saying I need to wear a mask and gloves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston