Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,361 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been living in Houston for about 4 years. We have a 3 year old daughter. Now we are considering to buy a house. We have very limited knowledge about buying a house. The most important things for us are the school district, safety and great neighbourhood. I would like to hear honest comments about the good school districts.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:25 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times
There are good and not-so-good schools in nearly every district in the area. IMO, it is as important to firm up your price range and the general location you want to live in (usually related to where your jobs are), then focus on what options are in the area. If you hear that Spring Branch has the best schools, but you can't afford the neighborhoods, it will just frustrate you.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 AM

56 posts, read 144,719 times
SugarLand has the greatest schools, no holds barred. Ft Bend ISD - http:FBISD Home. Progressive, Ethincally Diverse, Money Well Spent. Yes, I live here. SAHM. 4 kiddies.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:17 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
hmmm. I thought Clear Creek ISD (Clear Lake) got the award for best over all district in 2009.All their schools made Tier 1. but yeah, FBISD is good along with KISD, Klein ISD, SBISD.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
There are good and not-so-good schools in nearly every district in the area. IMO, it is as important to firm up your price range and the general location you want to live in (usually related to where your jobs are), then focus on what options are in the area.
I agree with this.

I think OP should give us more info about job location(s) or something else to narrow it down.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,104 times
I can see the most important issue is the school districts? I would suggest:
1) Where is your job located? How far are you willing to commute?
2) View/ checkout ratings of school districts online, ex. FBISD, KISD, HISD, etc... in areas willing to live.
3) Visit, drive the areas, communities & neighborhoods to see if surroundings ie... grocery, gas, entertainment, pools, recreation for the family at different times of the day & night to check out environments.
4) Last but not least, Apply for a home loan with your choice of financial lender, take advantage of the 1st Time Buyer classes & programs that are out there. Sometime you can receive down payment funds to purchase a home.

I hope this information is helpful.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,361 times
Thank you all for the great info.
I am working at GreensPoint. My wife wants to work someday, therefore we have to consider not too far from central city and my work (with in 40 minutes drive?). My price range is around 250k. Actually, I am thinking kingwood and sugarland. But friends said the house value does not hold great in Kingwood.

Really frustrated to make the decision.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:29 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Kingwood houses don't go up very much each year but they do go up. Not aware of any neighborhoods that have lost value long term.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:30 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
If you're working at Greenspoint you're going to want Kingwood. Sugarland commute would be insane.
Also, it's about a max 35 minute drive into downtown I understand. I think the house values are just fine in Kingwood. That's a good and easy price point to resale.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
If you are working at Greenspoint you are going to want the Klein/Champions area. 20-30 minutes easy depending on what area. Klein ISD is one of the best districts around. One of the best, most affordable "secrets" in Houston. For $250,000 you can get a lot of house, either a nicer, newer tract home or an older, established custom home in some of the great neighborhoods.

I would suggest 77379 on Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston