Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,422,752 times

Advertisements

I'm watching KPRC's report of the robbery incidents in Clear Lake. They mention everything about the two women EXCEPT for the fact that they were black. The reporter said, "They are said to be females, one possibly a teen, the other in her 40s, and they both have wild hair." WTF?!?! Yes, okay, wild hair, I'll be on the lookout for that. How about letting us know, white, black, asian, hispanic....? Why do I have to get that information elsewhere?

It's irritating--I mean, hello, it would be nice to know what to look out for. I've noticed this for a while. Did someone sue or something? Some new law? Dang, we are too freaking sensitive for our own good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,287,705 times
Default 'Started with the Chronicle...

The Houston Chronicle started doing that a few years ago. They would print what would have been an otherwise good, informative story, but then the got politically correct and began to leave out details when the would say 'Anyone with information is asked to call .....'. The only thing is, they never gave a description, other than to say a man!

So, if you see a man, slender build, call Crimestoppers. Why even bother with the story then?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,872,523 times
Just the way it is. I do not like it either. Americans are WAY to sensitive about all this.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,836,685 times
It is ridiculous. I can't tell if the state of journalism is particularly bad in Houston, or if it has just gotten awful everywhere and I just notice it in Houston because I live here.

Here is what the Chronicle said about one of the robbers:

One of the women is described as being 18 to 25 years old, approximately 5 feet to 5 feet, 6 inches tall and weighed around 120 pounds, according to a press release from the Webster Police Department. She had a "wild-looking, unbraided afro."

Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,287,705 times
Default Journalism is bad everywhere in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
It is ridiculous. I can't tell if the state of journalism is particularly bad in Houston, or if it has just gotten awful everywhere and I just notice it in Houston because I live here.

Here is what the Chronicle said about one of the robbers:

One of the women is described as being 18 to 25 years old, approximately 5 feet to 5 feet, 6 inches tall and weighed around 120 pounds, according to a press release from the Webster Police Department. She had a "wild-looking, unbraided afro."
I took a journalism class back in the eighties... and it was always stressed to me... 'WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY and HOW'. They seem to leave out the who now. Even though they said 'unbraided afro', it could be anyone. I've seen Goth/Grunge women with matted hair. also, Jeff Lynne from Electric Light Orchestra had an afro. He's probably bald now, but still.

One thing is certain, it's the reporter's duty to ask, and report. Period.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,125,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I took a journalism class back in the eighties... and it was always stressed to me... 'WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY and HOW'. They seem to leave out the who now. Even though they said 'unbraided afro', it could be anyone. I've seen Goth/Grunge women with matted hair. also, Jeff Lynne from Electric Light Orchestra had an afro. He's probably bald now, but still.

afro + robbery. jebus.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:48 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,246,976 times
Like it really matters. You're just going to assume they're black anyway.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:34 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,836,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

That's when I took journalism classes, too. I guess back then they actually taught the skills of reporting to reporters (and we walked so many miles through the snow to school...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
That's quite the assumption on your part.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:51 AM

454 posts, read 1,587,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
If it was simply reported, I wouldn't have to do any assuming at all. So if it was a gang of Koreans, I would have never assumed that, but since they told me that the crime was committed by Koreans, I would know what to look for. Their should be no reason for the populace to assume anything when reading/hearing a news report.

Saying wild afro in the description is definately going to make me assume that the suspects are black, but if it was a wild haired afro on a puerto rican, then that is simply bad journalism, because I personally would have assumed black based on the wild afro comment.

Reverse racism has to be the dumbest thing ever thought up, black, white, spanish, etc...call it like you see it. All serial killers are white, why is that?

Old 04-08-2009, 06:51 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,353,183 times
I was thinking the same thing last night...give us some more information! I also never heard them describe the scene as "Clear Lake"...only Webster. I'm not familiar enough with that part of town to know _where that Hobby Lobby/DSW complex was, though I'm sure the locals would. Then I wondered why they weren't doing that "0000# block of Street Name" they usually do at crime scenes...why not??

I did some channel-surfing at the 10 p.m. news and it seemed everyone had the same-time interview with the woman (something Ng) who was hit on the head.

Edited to add: I just realized there were two different robberies....Webster AND Clear Lake. But I don't think the reporting on either ever gave a block-number street address?

Last edited by catfancier; 04-08-2009 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: