Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:17 PM

490 posts, read 1,433,940 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about this place, area, location, etc....? I could not find anything when I searched the forum.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,054 times
They have some really nice homes in there. We nixed it though because it looks like it is awfully close to the water and Kemah and that entire area was flooded during Ike! Not something we want to deal with so we are headed back up north.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:21 AM

I finally found a good map layout and you are right!!! It is really close to the water. We want to be close to 45, so Mar Bella is probably out.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 AM

Yeah, too close for us. We have friends that live in South Shore and the had to evac last time around and board up. Just too much for me with two little ones. It was bad enough up north when Rita and all came that way and we were expecting the eye of the storm to hit Humble. I freaked out enough as it was I would need a sedative to live down south but we love the area. We lived down there when we first moved to Tx. Just beautiful. Happy house hunting!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,382 times
Taxes are very high since there is huge school going in right next door. Might cause issues. I think the homes are slightly over priced.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,382 times
Mar Bella - Housing Community in Clear Lake, Kemah Area

Might want to check this out..

Old 04-07-2009, 08:58 PM

I thought that they were a little over priced as well but figured that was because they were down south.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,788 times
Hi - I lurk around these boards quite a bit but decided to register just so I could comment on your post. We've actually just moved (Aug 08) right down the street from Mar Bella, into South Shore Harbor. Want to share my experience with you and others interested in this area.

Hurricane Damage: First off, we DID NOT flood - we evacuated to Katy amidst the hysteria from our family on the west side only to return after the hurricane to full electricity and only a few saplings on the ground. Really didn't look like much more than a thunderstorm hit over here. Kemah got it really bad but different elevation. We are close enough to the water to enjoy it, far enough away for it not to be a threat. Again, we sustained minimal damage compared to the rest of the city, and absolutely no flooding in our neighborhoods or main
thoroughfare (SH 96). Don't let that threat dissuade you from checking it out.

Schools: Not sure if you have kids but we're in CCISD, which is a fantastic school district. CCISD is actually opening a new, first of its kind, 'Education Village,' outside of the entrance to Mar Bella in fall 2010, it's a tri-school complex, meaning elementary, intermediate, and high-schools will all be located there on the same
campus.

People: As far as demographics go, I'd say the majority of residents here (all three neighborhoods - Mar Bella, Tuscan Lakes, and South Shore Harbor shop at the same grocery store so this is where my observation is coming from) are young 30-45 y/olds...good mix of families and professionals, primarily caucasian. We have a lot of people who've relocated from other states/cities who work in
aerospace.

Roads: The traffic is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be (keep in mind I used to live in Katy), I work near Hobby and its about a 20-25 minute commute, downtown at rush hour is roughly 40 minutes. They are working on the freeways right now so that does lend some time to the drive, good thing is the main road that you would take from Mar Bella to 1-45 is not congested, its a straight shot, less than 10 minutes, and they'll be connecting it directly to the freeway this summer and that will speed it up even more.

Retail: There are a lot of places to eat around here. You've got Kemah boardwalk (which we stay away from) but the little spots in Kemah are fantastic, there are local hole in the walls, diners, mexican, thai, you name it...they've got it. There is a terrific Kroger Signature not 2 minutes from Mar Bella, they have a huge gourmet section, there is also a HEB on 646 (about 10 minutes from us). 646 has also recently completed construction/leasing on a handful of nice shopping centers - Khols, Target, JC Penny, Best Buy, Home Depot, Wal Mart, Lowes, Sports Authority, goes on and on...anything you need. The mall, BayBrook
is about 15 minutes away and is very nice.

Green Space: The parks in our neighborhoods are well constructed and there are common man-made lakes for walking, etc., Kemah is less than a five minute drive if you'd like to look at the water or take a boat charter. There is a beautiful public park off of Hwy 3, about a 10 minute drive. There is a newly constructed sportsplex
further down 96 and another one on the other side of 45 (they both have baseball, soccer, and volleyball areas).

Negatives: There are a two massive apartment complexes on 96, they're brand new and coined 'luxury apartments' but they're still pretty big. Lack of diversity; there is a notable absence of different cultures and its all pretty much new construction so, while it is clean and attractive, its all obviously fabricated. Nightlife - if you like to party, you're going to have to drive into town or settle for tourist spots in Kemah

My husband and I have lived in quite a few different areas around Houston and this is by far, our favorite. If you're settled down a little and enjoy a slower pace, I think you'll like it. You should totally come check it out.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennocide View Post
Hi - I lurk around these boards quite a bit but decided to register just so I could comment on your post. We've actually just moved (Aug 08) right down the street from Mar Bella, into South Shore Harbor. Want to share my experience with you and others interested in this area.

Hurricane Damage: First off, we DID NOT flood - we evacuated to Katy amidst the hysteria from our family on the west side only to return after the hurricane to full electricity and only a few saplings on the ground. Really didn't look like much more than a thunderstorm hit over here. Kemah got it really bad but different elevation. We are close enough to the water to enjoy it, far enough away for it not to be a threat. Again, we sustained minimal damage compared to the rest of the city, and absolutely no flooding in our neighborhoods or main thoroughfare (SH 96). Don't let that threat dissuade you from checking it out.

Schools: Not sure if you have kids but we're in CCISD, which is a fantastic school district. CCISD is actually opening a new, first of its kind, 'Education Village,' outside of the entrance to Mar Bella in fall 2010, it's a tri-school complex, meaning elementary, intermediate, and high-schools will all be located there on the same campus.

People: As far as demographics go, I'd say the majority of residents here (all three neighborhoods - Mar Bella, Tuscan Lakes, and South Shore Harbor shop at the same grocery store so this is where my observation is coming from) are young 30-45 y/olds...good mix of families and professionals, primarily caucasian. We have a lot of people who've relocated from other states/cities who work in aerospace.

Roads: The traffic is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be (keep in mind I used to live in Katy), I work near Hobby and its about a 20-25 minute commute, downtown at rush hour is roughly 40 minutes. They are working on the freeways right now so that does lend some time to the drive, good thing is the main road that you would take from Mar Bella to 1-45 is not congested, its a straight shot, less than 10 minutes, and they'll be connecting it directly to the freeway this summer and that will speed it up even more.

Retail: There are a lot of places to eat around here. You've got Kemah boardwalk (which we stay away from) but the little spots in Kemah are fantastic, there are local hole in the walls, diners, mexican, thai, you name it...they've got it. There is a terrific Kroger Signature not 2 minutes from Mar Bella, they have a huge gourmet section, there is also a HEB on 646 (about 10 minutes from us). 646 has also recently completed construction/leasing on a handful of nice shopping centers - Khols, Target, JC Penny, Best Buy, Home Depot, Wal Mart, Lowes, Sports Authority, goes on and on...anything you need. The mall, BayBrook is about 15 minutes away and is very nice.

Green Space: The parks in our neighborhoods are well constructed and there are common man-made lakes for walking, etc., Kemah is less than a five minute drive if you'd like to look at the water or take a boat charter. There is a beautiful public park off of Hwy 3, about a 10 minute drive. There is a newly constructed sportsplex further down 96 and another one on the other side of 45 (they both have baseball, soccer, and volleyball areas).

Negatives: There are a two massive apartment complexes on 96, they're brand new and coined 'luxury apartments' but they're still pretty big. Lack of diversity; there is a notable absence of different cultures and its all pretty much new construction so, while it is clean and attractive, its all obviously fabricated. Nightlife - if you like to party, you're going to have to drive into town or settle for tourist spots in Kemah.

My husband and I have lived in quite a few different areas around Houston and this is by far, our favorite. If you're settled down a little and enjoy a slower pace, I think you'll like it. You should totally come check it out.
Thanks!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 PM

9 posts, read 24,564 times
Default Living in Mar Bella

I agree a lot with jennocide's post. I actually live in Mar Bella and we love it. We own a Taylor Morrison home and couldn't be happier with the way it held up during Ike. We came out with about a $100 worth of damage and no flooding. The neighborhood is full of friendly couples and families. On another note, lots for new homes have been selling very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston