Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,839 times

Advertisements

My first 'indoor' job was as a stockboy at Wackers, intersection of West Airport and Hillcroft, 1968-69. It was run by a great guy named Mike Milder, who employed several Westbury High School kids there. We acquired a work ethic and had a lot of fun too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,659 times
There was a walkers in Sherman, TX in the 70's down the street from Dairy Queen on Sunset. The Dairy Queen is still there.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,635 times
There was also a Wacker's location on Maxey Rd, a few blocks north of I10 in the 1970's before
the HUD apartments were built. One of my buddies was a stock boy there during high school and
was labeled a Wacker Stacker. I believe this was an actual job title. Winns bought them out,
and closed this location in 1992. I bought out lots of their inventory and fixtures for my own
business.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:20 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,819,755 times
You guys may be in luck

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/male-hooters-style-restaurant-tallywackers-opening-in-dallas-2015244

Old 09-24-2015, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,544 times
Jimbo

I remember a Wacker's in Waco where I was in grade school in the 1950s. Do not know when it went away, but I think it was still there when I returned later in high school (in San Antonio) for a visit.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,349 times
My grandmother used to take me to the Wackers in downtown Wynnewood, OK when I was a kid, great place with tons of candy. My grandparents were friends with the founder and his wife from Pauls Valley. There were at least 55 Wacker Variety Stores in Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico at one time according to his obituary. They were mostly located in small towns and very family friendly stores. The city park in Pauls Valley opened in the 1940s still bears his name to this day. I do not know if any of the stores are still open or what happened to them, probably but put out of business by WallyWorld, but that's progress, right?

Old 06-18-2016, 12:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
I did not live in Texas, but where I was the 5 and 10 cent stores were Woolworths

DONNA HUNT: Five and 10 cent stores now a thing of the past | Herald Democrat

Woolworth: A Five and Dime Story | The Saturday Evening Post

Quote:
The “five-and-ten store” officially departed the American landscape in 1997. That year, the F. W. Woolworth Company ended 118 years in the discount retail business.

In fact, the five-and-dime store had already passed away forty years earlier. As the Post reported it,
Quote:
It may surprise many Americans who grew up at five-and-ten stores that the store name wasn’t just meant to connote inexpensive merchandise. It was the store’s rigid pricing policy: a nickel or dime would buy any item in the store.

It’s just as surprising that the store could keep its shelves stocked only with 5¢ and 10¢ items for 55 years.
Quote:
Candy sales were particularly important to Woolworth’s success.

“I don’t pretend to know much about the candy business, but, in my opinion, if you want to make a big success of candy, put it in brass trays and put it up near the door, so that people can be reminded of it as they are passing out and take some home to the children. “

Woolworth believed that candy, alone, would pay the rent on each store.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,092 times
Hi, name is RoyW. I worked at G.F.Wackers for 8 years as assistant Mgr. at Freer, TX 1953-1955. Moved with Manager (Clinton S) to open new store in Victoria, TX in 1955 in the Town & Country Shopping Center. Back to Freer, TX as manager in 1956 till 1961.
Around 1959, Wackers opened a large Warehouse in Dallas. I helped open new stores in Gateway Mall in Houston and in Lake Jackson, TX.

While working for G.F.Wacker Stores, I had a profit sharing plan. I have never received anything from that plan and have searched several places. Anyone have any suggestions?

Now retired in FL.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:36 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyW View Post
...While working for G.F.Wacker Stores, I had a profit sharing plan. I have never received anything from that plan and have searched several places. Anyone have any suggestions?

Here's a start. It's a guide to finding lost pensions and lost profit sharing plan revenue:

https://www.pbgc.gov/documents/findi...st-pension.pdf

And here's some info from George Wacker's obituary. It says that the stores were owned by 31 separate partnerships, with the Wacker family having an interest in each:

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...&GRid=72904337

Old 08-12-2017, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,028 times
I was a manager at Wacker's on Bellaire Blvd. close to the Sharpstown Country Club back in the 70's. At the time they had about 75 stores in OK., Tx. and New Mex. We were old fashioned 5 & 10 store that time had pasted by. After Winn's bought them, they went down hill faster, and I believe Winn's was bought out by Craft's Etc? Wacker's first credit card allowed was Shopper's Charge !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston