Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:49 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times

Advertisements

I found for spot treatment, Amdro works well too. My yard usually only gets a mound every once in awhile and that takes care of it. Curious to see what all the rain brings out after this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:13 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
When we first moved down here, we were at a park and my 4 year old son tripped and his leg fell into a mound. He got about 6-7 bites that immediately swelled up (about half the diameter of a dime). He knows to look out for ant mounds now, and not to disturb them... hasn't been bitten since. In fact he finds them and comes and gets me to treat them.

Honestly, I can't for the life of me get rid of the fire ants. Usually they mound up along the fence, or against the house. Every now and then they make a mound in the lawn that I hit while mowing. I've laid down granules across the lawn.... still get them. I treat individual mounds with powder from Home Depot. That works well, but I don't think it kills all of them and they just move to a different spot. It's a never ending battle.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:54 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why? so they can fly out of mound biting anything it lands on? I remember when I did that when I was a child. Not a pleasant experience.
Are you serious? I always did that for fun when i first started mowing the grass, when I was younger. We have no more ant mounds in our yard anymore, so I don't do it. I had a bag, so they'd go inside it. Haha, don't take my advice on ants then.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post

The best tip is to keep a newspaper handy. If the child is covered in ants just start swatting away with a folded newspaper until you are satisfied that the ants are gone. Then roll the newspaper and swat the bottom once more for good measure to remind the child not to mess with ant beds.
I had to chuckle at that one.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:07 PM

407 posts, read 1,736,338 times
I second the recommendation for "Over N Out". It says once per season but I find that once a year works in my yard. Spring is the best time to put it out too.

Someone also recommended corn meal as an organic solution. You can also spread instant grits. The ants eat it then explore when they drink water. Funny but it really doesn't work to completely get rid of them.

I used Amdro for years but you end up treating every mound. I tried spreading amdro over the whole yard and they still came back. Over N Out is still the best, IMHO.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_jane View Post
Someone also recommended corn meal as an organic solution. You can also spread instant grits. The ants eat it then explore when they drink water. Funny but it really doesn't work to completely get rid of them.
From everything I've read, this is an urban legend and doesn't actually work.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:24 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
I didn't know we had red ants in the Houston area...lots of fire ants tho...The red ants I remember were in West Texas and they were red in color and around 1/2 long and some a little longer...and hurt like he!! when just one stung you.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I didn't know we had red ants in the Houston area...lots of fire ants tho...The red ants I remember were in West Texas and they were red in color and around 1/2 long and some a little longer...and hurt like he!! when just one stung you.
I just assumed the OP was talking about fire ants when they said "red ants". The red harvester ants are larger and from my understanding are uncommon in East Texas... partly because of the fire ant.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:18 AM

407 posts, read 1,736,338 times
Quote:
From everything I've read, this is an urban legend and doesn't actually work
When my kids were in elementary school I volunteered to work in the school's "butterfly garden". It was infested with "crazy ants" but we couldn't use any chemicals. So one day we put out instant grits. Within a week they were all gone (maybe they left). It worked so well we had teachers tracking us down asking us what we did. I tried it at my own house on a fire ant hill. It made them move but not much else. But I will agree it sounds like an urban legend! It was not my idea in the first place and I didn't believe it would work either.

Personally I like "Terro" for sugar ants and crazy ants. Over N Out for the fire ants.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:54 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
I just assumed the OP was talking about fire ants when they said "red ants". The red harvester ants are larger and from my understanding are uncommon in East Texas... partly because of the fire ant.

Me too. Harvester ants SUCK! However, they're not likely to be seen 'round these parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston