Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:01 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,602,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Yea the current expansion plan is really a drag without the University line.

But one day I hope that there will be longer rail-lines that will connect various suburbs to the houston main line. That would probably not happen for another 10-15 years.
But they won't. Simply because the system will go to slow. Read this link. This echo's what I mentioned in post 13.
Heavy Rail vs Light Rail
Basically even when this is done, Houston will still not have a rapid transit system simplly because it isn't rapid. If or when they do get the commuter rail, I hope it's not the deisel locomotive trains. Those things are so slow that you can throw a BBQ on it. They run these type of trains from Downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth. What should take only 30 minutes in a car takes one hour on the train. Not to mention that you still have to get where you want to go once you get off the train.

I don't mean to sound negative and I apologize if I am. I just think Houston could do better. Although it's probably not their fault. Blame the idiotic leadership for this in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,974,778 times
METRO had much better plans in store back in the 80s and even 10 or so years ago. Delay and Culberson messed it up big time.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,131,103 times
The University Line should still be operational about the same time as the rest of the lines. It is just being held back because of the feds and their bureaucratic financial processes.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
METRO had much better plans in store back in the 80s and even 10 or so years ago. Delay and Culberson messed it up big time.
Is he still in office?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM

Got reelected in the Fall during the elections. I was upset.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:39 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,131,103 times
Here's a map of how our system will look including LRT and Park&Ride service from a transportation blog Intermodality:

http://www.ctchouston.org/blogs/christof/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/metro2012diagram_09-31.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 PM

711 posts, read 1,858,435 times
Light rail is a terrible, overpriced boondoggle. The public doesn't support it because they shouldn't. If private industry described their business with the same sugar-coated lies rail planners tell to push approval for light rail, they'd throw them all in jail for fraud. Government, of course, is treated to a different standard.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Light rail is a terrible, overpriced boondoggle. The public doesn't support it because they shouldn't. If private industry described their business with the same sugar-coated lies rail planners tell to push approval for light rail, they'd throw them all in jail for fraud. Government, of course, is treated to a different standard.
So what type of rail system do you prefer, if you prefer it at all? If you do, would you run it underground, or at grade on it's own row?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:24 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post

It may be sugar-coated and not really as good as it sounds, but it is still necessary; im sure it wont help the traffic or even become useful; but there will be people(like me!) who will use it and finally be able to say "we're out of the dark ages".

I really do believe that people would much prefer to use their cars even with light rail, especially suburban commuters. Why get out of the car and get into a train next to god knows who and not be able to have their own Radio, comfort, etc.

Light Rail wont solve anything, but it should seriously help as far as convenience

Old 03-10-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
It may be sugar-coated and not really as good as it sounds, but it is still necessary; im sure it wont help the traffic or even become useful; but there will be people(like me!) who will use it and finally be able to say "we're out of the dark ages".

I really do believe that people would much prefer to use their cars even with light rail, especially suburban commuters. Why get out of the car and get into a train next to god knows who and not be able to have their own Radio, comfort, etc.

Light Rail wont solve anything, but it should seriously help as far as convenience
Those suburban commuters sure have no problem packing the METRO Park and Ride lots every weekday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston