Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:05 PM

25 posts, read 309,218 times

Advertisements

With Houston's current status as alternative energy capital of the world, how much money from Obama's stimulus plan will impact the city? I believe Obama has earmarked 150B towards alternative energy research. Be interesting to see how many jobs and business are created as a result in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 02:16 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,436,596 times
Alternative energy? *scratching head*

Old 02-16-2009, 02:40 PM

152 posts, read 537,957 times
I'm curious why you wrote that Houston is the "alternative energy capital of the world"? Based on what facts? Do you know who/what companies in Houston are leading the effort?

I'm not very confident that alternative energy tech will be economically useful in the near future, but $150B will surely create a lot of jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmineSantucciorellicuci View Post
With Houston's current status as alternative energy capital of the world, how much money from Obama's stimulus plan will impact the city? I believe Obama has earmarked 150B towards alternative energy research. Be interesting to see how many jobs and business are created as a result in the region.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:11 PM

25 posts, read 309,218 times
Vestas, the Danish wind power company, chose Houston to open a research center. There are many other "green energy" startups in the region along with the fact that the energy/oil companies based in the area also have "green divisions". I thought it was well known that Houston had a high concentration of energy companies.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM

We have tons of traditional energy companies. Alternative energy, though, I figured would go to California!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:29 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,038,851 times
Houston is huge on O&G companies - but alternative - not so much. But Houston is affordable and a great place to do a start-up so why not.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:40 PM

197 posts, read 798,074 times
Default You better hope we pull away from Saudi Oil dependency...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Houston is huge on O&G companies - but alternative - not so much. But Houston is affordable and a great place to do a start-up so why not.
It's happening now.
The FEED/FEL work is being done here - the site is in another state.

At least it's not in Saudi - or Africa.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:04 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,844,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
We have tons of traditional energy companies. Alternative energy, though, I figured would go to California!
Have you read anything on the subject or are you just reacting to the phrase, "alternative energy?"

This is from a 2007 Wall St. Journal article, Texas' New Tea:

"Houston -- As investment in alternative energy surges, scientists and entrepreneurs throughout the U.S. are trying to brew up remedies for the world's so-called petroleum addiction.

While it's too soon to say which of these efforts will thrive and which will wither, energy-industry veterans are increasingly confident they know where at least some of tomorrow's leaders in alternative energy will be: Houston, the home of big oil."

Only subscribers can view the remainder of the article.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,488,472 times
Chevron bought into a substantial share of a Galveston -based (Pelican I.) plant that is one of the largest converters of waste frying oil into diesel fuel. They are based in California (where I believe their large alt-fuel technology dept is HQ'd) but have a large Houston presence. They , like BP, are looking towards having a flourishing non-fossil-fuel-based business up and running for when the real Peak Oil day arrives.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Have you read anything on the subject or are you just reacting to the phrase, "alternative energy?"

This is from a 2007 Wall St. Journal article, Texas' New Tea:

"Houston -- As investment in alternative energy surges, scientists and entrepreneurs throughout the U.S. are trying to brew up remedies for the world's so-called petroleum addiction.

While it's too soon to say which of these efforts will thrive and which will wither, energy-industry veterans are increasingly confident they know where at least some of tomorrow's leaders in alternative energy will be: Houston, the home of big oil."

Only subscribers can view the remainder of the article.

Just like what I said, "alternative" energy capital of the world...we are not right now. Maybe we will be eventually, maybe in 5 years, maybe in 10. That's great people have their sights set on us for the future, heck, I embrace that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston