Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 06:41 PM

7 posts, read 70,773 times

Advertisements

I bought a car and the last owner was willing enough to keep the insurance and everything else under his name until after I took my drivers test. Unfortunately, he decided to take the insurance away and now I can't take the test with the car. My aunt and uncle's cars are too big and the smallest one is a stick shift. I was going to go tomorrow but since I found out it had no insurance I'm sure that is a very big no no to go and try to take the test. Is there anyway I can get a car for those 30 minutes? My friends' cars are either the inspection is expired or they drive their parents cars. so they cant help me there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:32 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,562,390 times
Gosh, thats surprising that the seller had second thoughts about maintaining insurance coverage for you to take your driving test.............ask the DPS officer administering the test if you could just borrow his personal ride

Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,233,736 times
Why don't you try buying car insurance? You are required by state law to have liability insurance on the car. The way this post is written, it does not appear that you intend to get insurance. The first time you get pulled over without insurance (or a license), the car gets impounded. The police now have this nifty computer system that can tell if you have insurance and if it is current.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:21 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,735,529 times
For insurance go to one of these places for a 1-month deal:

Welcome To Amco Insurance

Usually they're in the hoods or barrios, junky strip malls off the freeway, etc. Tell them what you have, and when they give you the first quote, walk way. They'll reel you back in for about $50-55 + a $10 'new policy fee.' This route works great for people who drive without insurance, but need it when it's time to renew the tags.

BTW, that doesn't describe me... I had a project car that needed tags before I sold it, so I went into one of those brassy, blinged out insurance places w/ the red carpet, etc.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:02 PM

OK nvm the seller never took the insurance off... my uncle told me that so that i would be scared to drive. and the car only has liability insurance, which i think means will only cover the car and the people on the insurance. which again i think means that i cant take the test in that car. right?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:38 PM

440 posts, read 1,684,204 times
What an ******* thing of your uncle to do .

As long as the car has insurance, and you are covered under someone's insurance, you should be okay.

Now tell your uncle he needs to grow up, and good luck on your drivers test!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:36 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,233,736 times
Unless you have proof that the car is covered and you are signed to it, then you should not drive it. The previous owner is unlikely to still have it covered as I am sure his insurance company would object to that after the car has been sold. The answer is still to go out and purchase your own insurance. If you cannot afford to do this, then you should never have purchased the car as it is a responsibility of vehicle ownership.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:01 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,697,117 times
I agree with Poltracker. If you bought the car, you will need insurance to drive it period, not just to take the driver's test, so why don't you just go buy insurance? Sounds shady.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:30 PM

i cant buy insurance because i dont have my driver's license. the CAR is INSURED until March but I am not on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston