Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 6,875 times

Advertisements

We have the opportunity to relocate from Canada (Calgary, AB) to the Houston area.

We have a 2 year old and another baby due in June. If the move is to happen, it could be as early as April/May so that means I would have to have the baby down there.

My husband would work in Fresno, so we are looking at the Sugar Land and Pearland communities. Can anyone tell me which community is better and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 08:46 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
We chose Sugar Land because traffic here is bad rather than completely horrible as it is surrounding Pearland's retail areas near their new town center, the crime index was lower, the public schools in our neighborhood were rated extremely well, and Sugar Land had some amenities that appealed to us (Whole Foods Market, Lifetime Fitness, strict zoning regarding aesthetics of new buildings).

That being said, I have several colleague and friends who live in Pearland and they like it just fine. Their commute to downtown Houston is easier and shorter than my commute from Sugar Land, although traffic for me in Sugar Land during weekends is better than their traffic when they go out to do any type of shopping anywhere near 288.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRanch View Post
We have the opportunity to relocate from Canada (Calgary, AB) to the Houston area.

We have a 2 year old and another baby due in June. If the move is to happen, it could be as early as April/May so that means I would have to have the baby down there.

My husband would work in Fresno, so we are looking at the Sugar Land and Pearland communities. Can anyone tell me which community is better and why?
Both areas are really nice, with Sugarland being the nicest. However, the advantage Pearland has over Sugarland is that it is much closer to Houston. The traffic in Pearland is VERY bad, especially around the retail area.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:22 PM

132 posts, read 588,149 times
Following is a comparison I made and posted in another thread in Oct 2007 with some editing. To call it as Sugarland vs Pearland may be little miselading. I would say Sugarland vs West Pearland. If your husband is working at Fresno, West Pearland may be the better option.

Pearland

Pros

* Near to Downtown/Medical Center (Easy access to these places on non -peak hours)
* Just started booming (?)

Cons

* 288 getting worse day by day (May take 40-45 minutes to downtown and 30-35 minutes to TMC on peak hours)
* 288/518 area getting over crowded
* Brazoria county, meaning hefty home insurance premium (windstorm)
* Flooding on 288 when it rains heavily
* Alvin/Pearland school District
* Average price of homes near 288/518 is $85 sq.ft.
* Landfill expansion issue (the news itself, irrespective of whether it expands or not)

sugarLand:

Pros :

* Established area for family living
* fortbend ISD and good established schools
* No (Few) flooding issues
* No high insurance costs (flood/windstorm)
* 59 upgrade/constructon completed till Hwy6 - Traffic not as bad as 288 or 290
* ALT 90 (South Main st )becoming another freeway by end of 2009 (?) and would provide alternate route to Medical Center / Downtown/ Galleria (if needed)
* Average price of homes near 59/6 is $90 sq.ft

Cons :

* Proximity to Sharpstown/Alief area
* Far from Downtown/Medical center (Delayed access to these places even at non-peak hours)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRanch View Post

Old 02-01-2009, 03:25 PM

57 posts, read 293,687 times
OP..you are comparing two different level areas - in my true opinion

Its all depends on your budget -
Simple Example: 4000 Sq.ft House in Sugarland - $320K+
4000 Sq.ft house in PEarland - $250K+

2800 Sq.Ft House in Sugarland - $270+
2800 Sq.Ft house in PEarland - $210+

In my knowledge you cant compare sugarland,telfair areas with Pearland, Just because of the budget -- I wish i bought a house in sugarland -Budget is the main problem - so i went to my second preference

Old 02-01-2009, 03:41 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyakamaraj View Post
OP..you are comparing two different level areas - in my true opinion

Its all depends on your budget -
Simple Example: 4000 Sq.ft House in Sugarland - $320K+
4000 Sq.ft house in PEarland - $250K+

2800 Sq.Ft House in Sugarland - $270+
2800 Sq.Ft house in PEarland - $210+

In my knowledge you cant compare sugarland,telfair areas with Pearland, Just because of the budget -- I wish i bought a house in sugarland -Budget is the main problem - so i went to my second preference
sathyakamaraj, what makes you say you wish you had purchased a house in Sugar Land? I'm curious because we are house hunting in Sugar Land but we have also looked in Pearland, Clear Lake, Friendswood, League City, etc.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 PM

57 posts, read 293,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
sathyakamaraj, what makes you say you wish you had purchased a house in Sugar Land? I'm curious because we are house hunting in Sugar Land but we have also looked in Pearland, Clear Lake, Friendswood, League City, etc.
Just because of the living standard, to my knowledge which may be wrong, people living sugarland (new home areas) are above average income group. school district, Sugarland was rated as 4th best city to live in usa in 2007.

Pearland is also good; standard is different than sugarland.

I will tell you to think twice for league city and clearlake - unless its close to your work. If you are comfortable to pearland, i can tell you my builder name, you can have a great deal.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
(Whole Foods Market, Lifetime Fitness, strict zoning regarding aesthetics of new buildings).
When you mentioned aesthetics did you mean the fact that all the buildings look exactly the same

to the OP... you have a family; so Sugar Land would be an ideal choice but if your under a tighter budget than Pearland might be a better choice;

Schools IMO are not that big of a deal when your kids are that young; maybe when their in 7-8 years old then you might want to look into moving to Sugar Land.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
between the two I'd pick Sugarland, because of its proximity to Alief/Sharpstown/West Houston (jobs, food, etc)

Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,673 times
Most def sugarland is the best choice the traffic in pearland is horrible and sugarland is just a better place to raise a family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston