Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,281 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I presently live above an active, energetic, and sharply lucid 90 year old woman, a true joy to have as a neighbor and a good friend. Sometime during the power outage after Ike, she seemed to suffer a physical set back (possibly a stroke) followed by increasing memory lapses, delusions, feelings of persecution, paranoia: symptoms reminiscent of Alzheimer's.

Fearing for her health and well being, I began a hunt for her long lost family, who, having been found, has informed me that I should call the police, and not them, if she becomes a danger to herself and others.

I believe that it is only a matter of time before her situation becomes untenable.

Having never had to deal with this kind of situation, I would like any advice on how to involve social services or protective services with an eye to improving her situation (grocery delivery, medical checkups, etc.) without necessarily preempting her being locked away in some sort of state institution.

Any advice on how to approach this delicate problem would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I think I would go ahead and call social services and let them do what they do best, socially serve. If this is an apartment building, everyone there could be in danger. The lady really needs professional help. If they find her to be mentally able to live by herself, in our area, the United Way takes care of a lot of senior needs.

This 90 year old is very lucky to have such a caring neighbor.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 PM

447 posts, read 1,765,374 times
DFPS - Report Abuse or Neglect

You can report this to the Texas APS (Adult Protective Services)

Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
I know there are organizations that can help you with this, I'm just not sure who they are locally since I only recently moved here. You might start by contacting the AARP, who should point you in the right direction. It's so sad when family reacts this way, but it happens and I've seen really good social service groups step into action in situations like these.

I actually may need these same services someday so I'm anxious to hear some replies. A huge part of why we moved here was so that my aging grandparents would have someone nearby if something happened. They are healthy and sharp now, but at 88 that can all change in a matter of minutes. I've got a meeting with their stockbroker tomorrow just to get the 411 on their finances.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:24 PM

You can call her doctor if you know who he is. The state of Texas has programs in place to assist the elderly/indigent/impaired who require assistance. Her doctor will know who (which agency) to refer her to.

By reporting it to APS you can be assured of a very quick response.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:54 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Bless you for caring so much about your neighbor. How has she been getting around...to doctor appointments, buying groceries and other necessities? How is she a danger to anyone but herself? I guess I'm the only one here who wonders how much social services really helps someone like this. I've seen only one case where social services was involved and the woman ended up in a nursing home that was not a pleasant place and did not (in my opinion) fit her needs.

It's quite possible that your neighbor did have a stroke during Ike. Has she been to a physician? Are you able to take her for a checkup? I truly dont know what the best answer is for her situation but I hope you will keep us updated. I'd like to know that my one experience with social services was not typical.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:46 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,951 times
Sheltering Arms is also a great resource for the elderly in Houston.

Read about their myriad of services. I know the director and he's a great guy - both in raising funds but also in utilizing them efficiency: Sheltering Arms Senior Services - Senior Care Since 1893

Old 01-23-2009, 07:17 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Thanks so much for posting about Sheltering Arms! It looks like a great resource for seniors who want to keep their independence as long as possible. I hope it can do something for dpgetman's neighbor!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:15 AM

There is a great resource- the Senior Resource Guide at: http://www.srguidance.org/

It should help with many questions regarding the elderly

Old 01-23-2009, 08:31 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Folks have given you a wonderful set of resources. I would add that the United Way operates what they call a gateway program for senior assistance that you can reach by dialing 211. I have used these services several times to get assistance for seniors. Thank You for caring about your neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: