Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times

Advertisements

I've heard Smith and Barney as well. Last seen leaving at 1:30 on the phone.

Hearing that he left behind three children.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 12,053 times
[quote=uhgrad82;6917552]I work in 3 Allen Center & went down to see what was going on. Police measured the distance from the 10th floor (second opening from top of garage) to the ground so he apparently jumped from there. Coroner measured this distance also. She also measured from top of this chest high wall to the top of two black marks on the outside of the wall. The black marks are just under the pillar which I think he used to hoist himself up on the wall into a sitting position. If she paid attention to the marks, they must be where his feet hit the wall when he pushed himself off. We saw a lady in levis & casual shirt approach the scene & when she saw the sheet covered body her knees buckled and she went to the ground. Police helped her get up and took her around the corner. Maybe she was the one he was on the phone with because she was there within about one hour after it happened.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:10 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

Hearing that he left behind three children.

That is just disgusting, if that's true. Those poor kids.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:10 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
A lot of sympathetic posts about this man.
Christmas is definately over.
LMAO, I almost spit my beer out on the screen.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,288 times
As to the A&M garage suicide, there were two when I was there from 1998-2002. My freshman year, a dorm mate that lived about two doors down broke up with his girlfriend and jumped off a Northside parking garage while a police officer was trying to talk him out of it. He was an extremely likeable and nice person and it shocked everybody that he would do that. This one was especially notorious because the Battalion, A&Ms student newspaper ran pictures of them hosing the blood off the street, much to the chagrin of everybody that knew him.

The second at A&M was accidental and was a local Spring/Klein guy that I graduated with from Klein. He was drunk and trying to slide down the railing on garage stairs, lost his balance, and fell to his death. I personally knew him in high school and that was also a shock.

As to the recent downtown suicide:

One of my wife's coworkers apparently knew this man personally.

As per my wife's email:

The guy who jumped off the parking garage in downtown yesterday was one of ******’s best friends; they were Kappa Alpha’s at SWT together and were both in each other’s weddings…perhaps as best man. He was 42, married with 3 kids (4, 7, 11) and a financial guy with Smith Barney or UBS Financial. ****** said he talked to him at the end of December and that he had said everything was fine, but the guy’s wife said that he had been super-depressed for the past 3 days and staying at his parents’ house. Yesterday afternoon he sent a text to his wife saying he was sorry and that he loved her and the kids, and then jumped. She called 911, but it was too late. ****** said he was a really sweet guy and that his clients (mainly doctors) had been riding him hard about the economy; he internalized it all and felt guilty and just couldn’t take it.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:24 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
In any case, it is very rare for suicides to end up in the news, unless it was a public figure.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:52 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
It's all very sad. My condolences to those left behind.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:54 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
So if you have sympathy for the kids and family they leave behind, jokes wouldn't exactly be appropriate either. Sympathetic or not, it's still a sad situation.
Yes it is...especially for those kids, and family. Who made a joke?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Well, Stephanie, we haven't exactly gotten confirmation that it was an actual man. We don't even have a name. What would you like us to do, prepare a eulogy?

People that commit suicide, IMHO, deserve everything they get. The people they leave behind don't. I think it's a cowardly act and nothing is worth doing that to your friends and family. Period.
That is a rather callous statement particularly in the case of those who have severe mental illness which often (not always) plays a big role in suicide. Unfortunately in today's society and fractured homes, many people are growing up today with zero homelife and mental support and grow up ad adults who are lacking the mental resources it takes to deal with what life slams down sometimes. Tell that to some parent who's teen took their own life that they got what they deserved.... Depression is a mental illness and some people are able to weather the storm while others can't seem to fight it.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
That is a rather callous statement particularly in the case of those who have severe mental illness which often (not always) plays a big role in suicide. Unfortunately in today's society and fractured homes, many people are growing up today with zero homelife and mental support and grow up ad adults who are lacking the mental resources it takes to deal with what life slams down sometimes. Tell that to some parent who's teen took their own life that they got what they deserved.... Depression is a mental illness and some people are able to weather the storm while others can't seem to fight it.
It isn't callous, and I'm not talking about depressed teenagers. Come on.

This is a GROWN MAN, leaving behind a WIFE and THREE SMALL CHILDREN! Depressed? DEPRESSED? Mental illness? Sorry. No excuse. He's still lame for doing what he did. I don't care if he was on Prozac, half the freaking country is. Be a man, stand up and say okay, this sucks, but it will work itself out, and get with the program. Suicide is a cowardly act and doesn't deserve any legitimacy whatsoever.

Of course, this is my opinion, and you have the right to disagree with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: