Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:47 AM

571 posts, read 1,931,883 times

Advertisements

Ok so I always hear that south Katy is better than north Katy.. but what I want to know now is are there ANY areas in south Katy to avoid? Not because other parts are nicer or better or more amenities, but are any parts of south Katy truly dangerous and trashy like I keep hearing about most of north Katy.. For example I see some pretty cheap homes - are these areas allright?

19723 Bluff Canyon Way, Katy, TX 77450
6507 Belmont Bend, Katy, TX 77450
21474 Park Mill Ln, Katy, TX 77450
1822 Winding Hollow Dr, Katy, TX 77450
906 E Long Prairie, Katy, TX 77450
2238 Glendavon Ln, Katy, TX 77450
25234 Ibris Ranch Dr, Katy, TX 77494

Sorry there are so many..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:58 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,151 times
I can't think of one area in south Katy that I would call dangerous or trashy. But having said that, I would avoid Canyon Gate (which is not really part of Cinco Ranch). I think the front area is okay - but that is where the more expensive, bigger homes are. The back area is not as nice - a lot of rentals and foreclosures - just not kept up as well. I would also hesitate about Katy Creek Ranch - it is a newer subdivision, with smaller lots, cheaper homes and I would just worry about it going downhill quickly.

You can get a good deal in Memorial Parkway and other older subdivisions, just because the homes area older and their are fewer amenities. I would choose an older home in Memorial Parkway over a new home in Katy Creek Ranch or Canyon Gate any day.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
Ditto what cla said, and I've heard not so good things about Grand Mission, which is south of the Westpark Tollway, I don't know if it's even considered Katy.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:42 PM

124 posts, read 700,339 times
I agree with the above posters.

I live in South Katy and I have no complaints at all. I don't know of any trashy or dangerous places to live in South Katy. As a mom, I feel safe and secure about raising my children here. I am also please about the KISD schools in my area.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:51 PM

354 posts, read 2,429,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Ditto what cla said, and I've heard not so good things about Grand Mission, which is south of the Westpark Tollway, I don't know if it's even considered Katy.
If you don't mind me asking, what have you heard about Grand Mission. It's a community that's on my list.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,151 times
If you do a search on Grand Mission from the above menu bar, you will get some info. There was one person who had negative comments. I actually have two co-workers who live there who are happy . I guess for me the biggest negative would be school district and resale value because of that.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:11 PM

101 posts, read 295,861 times
Smile South Katy ( South of the I-10) but North of the Westpark Tollway.

South Katy has very few areas that may not be so good. Almost all of South Katy is a very good area. It has great schools and neighborhoods.

I am not saying that these are bad but the least desireble neighborhoods in South Katy are generally. West Memorial, Canyon Gate, Katy Creek Ranch, Cimmaron, Silverstone.

Remember I did not say that these are bad neighborhoods by any means just that they are not as desireable as most other areas.

Probably the most undervalued neighborhoods are Memorial Parkway, Oak Park Trails, Highland Trails and Nottingham Country. Maybe even a little Westgreen Park.

the best deal of the ones you listed is probably the one on Glendavon.

Now that the I-10 is finished these should become a little more valuable.

The only thing that worries me a little about South Katy is that the most common employment there is in the Oil and Gas industry and right now the future of this industry is a little questionable. Just a thought

Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 PM

33 posts, read 154,449 times
South Of Kingsland Blvd, East of Mason Rd, North of FM 1093, and East of 1463, You should have no problem at all!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 PM

759 posts, read 3,183,541 times
I do not think so. It is FB but zoned to crappy schools.
Oakland Elementary School
David Crockett Middle School
George Bush High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post

Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
I do not think so. It is FB but zoned to crappy schools.
Oakland Elementary School
David Crockett Middle School
George Bush High School
I wasn't sure, I have a friend who is renting there right now who belongs to my Katy mom's group, so I thought it might still be in Katy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston