Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 9,143 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all! I'm born-and-bred Texan, though I'm from Dallas and currently live in Manhattan. I'm planning to move to Houston in a few months and have a couple of questions:

1. I'd like to stay near Montrose and have looked at apartments.com, rent.com... do y'all have other apartment locator suggestions? Is a max of $800 for a 1bdrm reasonable?

2. Are Bellaire/Meyerland far from Montrose, driving-wise? When Google Maps says it's a "20 minute drive," I'm wondering if that includes wonderful Texas traffic!

I think that's about it for now... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
1. Yes, it is. You will find something. Just don't know how nice you like it.
There are a lot of apartment locators here that offer their help. If you PM me I can give you the guy I usually use. OR go on craigslist.org. There aree manhy apartment locators on there as well.

2. 20 minutes is about right. Unless you leave during rush hour the traffic is decent.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:11 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Bellaire and Meyerland are not very far out at all. About 20 minutes sounds right, during odd hours I would probably make it in less time than that.

I really don't know what apartments are running these days in Montrose, but I would think you would still be able to find something for that price point in the way of a one bedroom. Prices are all over the map in there since there are so many duplexes, garage apartments, old complexes, and new stuff on the fringes. A lot of people also look at the Heights as an alternative to Montrose. there isn't much in the way of big complexes up there, it is mostly individuals with small rental properties.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
15 minutes is probably more like it, and that's without taking the freeway. You just have to learn your way around. You have a lot of routes to the Montrose from that area, like Buffalo Speedway, for example.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 AM

25 posts, read 69,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I really don't know what apartments are running these days in Montrose, but I would think you would still be able to find something for that price point in the way of a one bedroom. Prices are all over the map in there since there are so many duplexes, garage apartments, old complexes, and new stuff on the fringes.
I agree with this..I looked at Montrose/Museum District before moving to the Galleria. For $800 you can find a nice 1 bed in that area, now keep in mind it will most likely be a duplex/fourplex, but you'll have ample square footage and some of the places have really unique floor plans. Check out Houston's Craig's List.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 PM

490 posts, read 1,434,120 times
Is 800 for rent only? You will have utilities which can be killer. Do you want to live alone or with a roommate? When I moved to Houston from Dallas I moved in with a girl that had a townhome in River Oaks and paid $750 and that included everything! Craiglist is good and will have more unique options than apartment finder sites....be cautious though...especially if you will be making a decision from afar and not able to check it out first hand (I assuming since you are in Manhatten). I have to say...Houston is NO Manhatten...I love NYC!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josci View Post
Is 800 for rent only? You will have utilities which can be killer. Do you want to live alone or with a roommate? When I moved to Houston from Dallas I moved in with a girl that had a townhome in River Oaks and paid $750 and that included everything! Craiglist is good and will have more unique options than apartment finder sites....be cautious though...especially if you will be making a decision from afar and not able to check it out first hand (I assuming since you are in Manhatten). I have to say...Houston is NO Manhatten...I love NYC!
This is true, Houston nor anywhere on Earth is like Manhattan (thank god). I say make a rash decision from afar. You never know, you might get that creepy roomate or a hellhole of an apartment that will give you great stories to tell for years to come.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:05 AM

4 posts, read 9,143 times
Fantastic, thanks y'all! I don't want to live with a roommate and I'd prefer to stay under $800 (that's my max budget, but I totally didn't think about utilities, so...). I'm looking in other areas too, just wanted to check :-)

Josci - I have to admit, I can't stand New York! It's so much different living there than visiting; I'll like it much more when I can visit here and then leave

Old 01-09-2009, 11:02 AM

490 posts, read 1,434,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylorkd View Post
Fantastic, thanks y'all! I don't want to live with a roommate and I'd prefer to stay under $800 (that's my max budget, but I totally didn't think about utilities, so...). I'm looking in other areas too, just wanted to check :-)

Josci - I have to admit, I can't stand New York! It's so much different living there than visiting; I'll like it much more when I can visit here and then leave
I totally understand that! I love visiting there, but I could never afford the lifestyle I have here if I lived in NYC because everything is so $$$.

Good luck! I hope you find a good place.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,525 times
I assume you're young and single. If I were in that category I would check out Midtown between downtown and the museum district and adjacent to Montrose (where sits my favorite restaurant Baba Yega). Many midrise residential buildings there and restaurants and clubs all around, and Spec's main location. You're 5 minutes from the SW freeway for getting you to the Village, Whole Foods, and West Loop quickly (10 min) and really near museums, Hermann Park, Rice U, Med Center, and next to downtown. Really popular fast growing area and it would be inadvisable to not check it out. Houston has vastly upgraded since I moved here from Austin 20 years ago. Another 20 years and this is a world class place.

Last edited by groovamos; 01-10-2009 at 09:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston